Nailbomb or Afwayu?

• Thread starter Thread starter glassjaw7
  • Start date Start date
Compared to the Nailbomb, Rebel Yell has a lot less output, high mids & low end thump. I consider it a rock pickup.
Nailbomb works great with mahogany/maple combo. While still raelly good, it wasn't that impressive in alder/maple.

FWIW -
Nailbomb is in a maple neck, pau ferro board, swamp ash parts-o-caster. (25.5 scale) OFR .... This is a super bright guitar, and Cold Sweats sounded waaaaay too bright and harsh in it.
Back up is a USA Wolfgang Standard.
I've got one going in a maple/maple neck, mahogany body, swamp ash top Strat, hard tail. Can't wait to hear this one when it's done.

moltenmetalburn":tx344pgr said:
rbasaria":tx344pgr said:
Luckily, I still have a hellbaby that needs a guitar!!

I Hate You :gethim:
:D

I snagged Laura's while I had the chance. I just need a new guitar to pop it into!!

nbarts":1d609qan said:
For me personally the mcp has raw, dry, crunchy, cutting high mids, when the nailbomb has more musical & smooth midrange that you find in bare knuckle pickups in general. Smooth & aggressive & juicy is how I would describe the Nailbomb. Raw, focused, dry & aggressive would describe the Afwayu for me. I hope it makes sense.
My point is it's not just more of these frequencies on this pickup & less on that, both have distinct feel & character, once you hit it, you know it. Afwayu is a perfect death metal pickup in my book. Nailbomb is the one pickup that can do anything almost really good, but never is spot on at the same time. I use Nailbombs live & they are awesome for that, but there are better pickups for recording in my opinion.

from your comparison i guess the ceramic Afwayu is more like a Painkiller than a Ceramic Nailbomb

from your comparison i guess the ceramic Afwayu is more like a Painkiller than a Ceramic Nailbomb

Definitely! Actually I thought ceramic Afwayu was like a better, fuller version of Painkiller, without that bareknuckle trademark sweet mids.

I strongly disagree about the rebel yell having less upper mids than the nailbomb
it has A LOT more upper mids, just less low mids and maybe a bit less treble
a lot like the holy diver (which was a rebel yell prototype), but more trebly and not as thick and punchy
the only BKP that may be middier than the rebel yell is the painkiller

nbarts":ke67tarr said:
here...

nbarts":ke67tarr said:
Here, DI, totally out of tune, but I'm not embarrassed. :lol: :LOL: Hopefully it will help you a little.

LP-RY C tunning 11s
HorNT-cbomb C tunning 11s
HorFR-cpig C tunning 11s
HorNT-JB D tunning 10s
MII-cbomb C tunning 11s

viewtopic.php?f=14&p=693877#p693877

those are different guitars with different constructions, so it's hard to make a fair judgment
and I'm sure the c-bomb has a more mids than the alnico 5 version
I could live with a c-bomb :D
but I already have a cold sweat, which is similar enough for me

I can tell you that everything in my LP sounds a lot crunchier in high mids than in my horizons. horizons add a lot of warm/resonant low mids, one of the reasons I like these guitars so much. that said that crunchy quality of the lp sounds REALLY good for rock leads.

nbarts":2r0ufc07 said:
I can tell you that everything in my LP sounds a lot crunchier in high mids than in my horizons. horizons add a lot of warm/resonant low mids, one of the reasons I like these guitars so much. that said that crunchy quality of the lp sounds REALLY good for rock leads.

the wide range of a les paul is hard to beat :thumbsup:
I love some other models, but I always miss something, specially that crunchy top with full mids
and seems like every non-shitty pickup works well with a good les paul
one of my les pauls (a jap hurricane copy) had over 16 pickups and I can't remember it sounding bad with anything

I think the ceramic magnet in the nailbomb has a similar effect to the differences between the duncan sh-5 and sh-14
not only more power and tightness, but a lot more mids
Tim also uses thicker ceramic magnets, like the one in the duncan distortion (the sh-5 has a much thinner magnet)

nbarts. At first I was surprised at how I liked the nailbomb from hearing your clips. After listening to it more though I can hear a lack of low mids that I don't like in a pickup. The fundamental is there and it's got stuff on top, but the 2nd/3rd octave seems buried to my ear. The low string is almost a belltone. The c-pig sounds better in that regard, having more low mids and less present high mids, but it sounds a tad strange to me and I can't seem to place it. I don't know if it sounds like it would get lost with a lot of gain on top or what. That said, the JB sounds so weak next to all those Bareknuckles LOL. JB is what I am currently using.

glassjaw7":3477bsxb said:
Yep, another pup thread. So of these two only, which would you choose for rich, detailed and punchy organic rock/metal with nice mids and pleasing but present highs? Also looking for balance. Smooth but aggressive.

Nailbomb, only because I am 100% diehard fan of BKP...

V. :D

JakeAC5253":qfyyf1bx said:
nbarts. At first I was surprised at how I liked the nailbomb from hearing your clips. After listening to it more though I can hear a lack of low mids that I don't like in a pickup. The fundamental is there and it's got stuff on top, but the 2nd/3rd octave seems buried to my ear. The low string is almost a belltone. The c-pig sounds better in that regard, having more low mids and less present high mids, but it sounds a tad strange to me and I can't seem to place it. I don't know if it sounds like it would get lost with a lot of gain on top or what. That said, the JB sounds so weak next to all those Bareknuckles LOL. JB is what I am currently using.

Actually JB not being that broad sounding comes really handy for metal riffs with a lot of gain. You can check out my myspace->creepy anger- all the heavy parts are recorded with that same guitar with JB in it, the rest was cbomb. The same guitar with nailbombs live for heavy tones gives you that "WOW" effect, but I didn't like the recorded tone of it. You should see my guitar tech's face the first time he tried the cbomb, it was priceless. :lol: :LOL: Another advantage of the cbomb live is how great it sound coil tapped.

You pretty much nailed all the reasons I like the Warpig. When I first got it, I was under the impression that it's the pickup to use if you want to go overboard with gain, which didn't work out very well.
If you go here & listen to "Hurt" http://dizero.com/geartest2.php , that was when I just got it. Then when I started discovering that I like very little gain, I gave it another try & it was incredible. Sounds right & has a unique character. It's not that nailbomb doesn't have enough low mids, it's just that it has too much high mids & if you like a shitload of gain, you'll probably like that.

nbarts":3kjy52he said:
JakeAC5253":3kjy52he said:

Actually JB not being that broad sounding comes really handy for metal riffs with a lot of gain. You can check out my myspace->creepy anger- all the heavy parts are recorded with that same guitar with JB in it, the rest was cbomb. The same guitar with nailbombs live for heavy tones gives you that "WOW" effect, but I didn't like the recorded tone of it. You should see my guitar tech's face the first time he tried the cbomb, it was priceless. :lol: :LOL: Another advantage of the cbomb live is how great it sound coil tapped.

You pretty much nailed all the reasons I like the Warpig. When I first got it, I was under the impression that it's the pickup to use if you want to go overboard with gain, which didn't work out very well.
If you go here & listen to "Hurt" http://dizero.com/geartest2.php , that was when I just got it. Then when I started discovering that I like very little gain, I gave it another try & it was incredible. Sounds right & has a unique character. It's not that nailbomb doesn't have enough low mids, it's just that it has too much high mids & if you like a shitload of gain, you'll probably like that.

I noticed something on the recordings too that I don't even necessarily want to mention because I don't want to sound critical or anything since they're much better than what I've got going on :lol: :LOL: But there's a lot of squeaky, pick chirp going on. Would you say that's a byproduct of whatever pick you were using? I noticed it was happening to me a lot when I was using V-picks. I didn't even notice it until someone mentioned it to me and then I started hearing it and I had to stop using them :lol: :LOL: Now I have 4 or 5 V-picks sitting around because of that bastard :doh:

If you are referring to what I think you are referring, that's the tunecore player. I don't why it's doing it, it doesn't sound like that on the CD.
If not that & it's really a pick sound, then I'm totally fine with it. Can you hear that on geartests too?

nbarts":3061qk64 said:
If you are referring to what I think you are referring, that's the tunecore player. I don't why it's doing it, it doesn't sound like that on the CD.
If not that & it's really a pick sound, then I'm totally fine with it. Can you hear that on geartests too?

That's a very good question, I'm going to check it out real quick. I'll tell you where I hear it if at all. Might be the player like you said :thumbsup:

Nope, you're right man, it's only the player on your Myspace page that's doing it :confused: That's weird as hell. I was sitting there thinking "Man, this would sound a lot better without all the chirping" :lol: :LOL: I wonder why it does that?

nbarts, do you own a Painkiller, and if so what are your experiences with it compared to these other pickups?

Back