NGD + opinion on bridge pickup

• Thread starter Thread starter ultimatemetalguitartones
  • Start date Start date
ultimatemetalguitartones
ultimatemetalguitartones
I've always wanted an original but current market prices are all over the place, so I got me this 2008 Korean one. The previous owner installed an EMG 81 which is cool of course but I'd like to try a passive one. Any ideas on some articulate, tight not too bright passive pups? I am into rhythm metal - 80s 90s thrash / death

Attachments

• 401076031_662869385967134_8964116502263985779_n.jpg
    401076031_662869385967134_8964116502263985779_n.jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 72
I've always wanted an original but current market prices are all over the place, so I got me this 2008 Korean one. The previous owner installed an EMG 81 which is cool of course but I'd like to try a passive one. Any ideas on some articulate, tight not too bright passive pups? I am into rhythm metal - 80s 90s thrash / death
If you are going for: mid forward, tight bass, not too bright; The set of Bare knuckle Silos I have been using would hit that mark.

Rhythm metal, specifically thrash or death I would think would want a lot of top end for that brash sound. Planet Tone makes killer pickups for amazing prices. Love my single coil set from them, as it can go from clean to super heavy metal no problem. Check em out! They can talk with you and probably guide or custom wind a set for you for fairly cheap.

ToneNerd Psykes sounds perfect for what you need, but I am not sure if he is making them at the moment...

SD Distortion, 100%. JB, not so much, because it's often too loose in the bottom end.
I agree with this, the SD Distortion is the perfect thrash pickup but it might be a little bright for ya. The JB is just a little too loose in the lows, but you can tighten that up with a boost like a ts-9 or something.

the SD Distortion is the perfect thrash pickup but it might be a little bright for ya
Indeed, the perfect, passive thrash pickup. If he comes from an EMG81, maybe the brightness isn't that bad.
Besides, in the wrong guitar, the JB has quite a screechy high-mid/top-end and with the Distortion it's just bright, but never screechy. Sure, in the right guitar the JB is almost like a desert island-pickup...

Also, when played clean, the JB (in series) is on the darker side. A Super Distortion from DiMarzio has a better useable (series) clean tone.
When coilsplitting, it's the other way around. JB=nice and with enough power and output. Super D=really bright, thin and low output.

When the SD Distortion is too bright, maybe the Dimarzio Evo2 or Norton would be a good call. They're still really tight with nice harmonics.
Original Evo was too bright for my tastes, but when I had a Duncan Distortion for a while, I loved it...just for thrash!

With the quality of amps you have I’d go with equally good pickups: ‘70’s Bill Lawrence L100, ‘70’s/‘80’s Mighty Mite 1400, vintage Dirty Fingers (will need a gate for the noise). The BL L90 and 500L are great too, but they’re definitely quite bright

For lower output: ‘70’s Gretsch Supertron or TK300, ‘60’s Guild humbuckers

SH-6 if youre leaning brighter (but still not as bright as an 81)

Tonenerd Psykes or Original Dirty Fingers if youre leaning darker

SH-5, MCP Afwayu, Aldrich, SH-14, Alnico BKP Warpig, MCP Solution.

Invader is what you want.
I heard "Master Of Puppets" was recorded with a V or explorer with an Invader in it, could be wrong about that though?? It's kinda a bass heavy pickup, not something I'd use for thrash. It's a pickup I'd use for doom, sludge or something along those lines.

I heard "Master Of Puppets" was recorded with a V or explorer with an Invader in it, could be wrong about that though?? It's kinda a bass heavy pickup, not something I'd use for thrash. It's a pickup I'd use for doom, sludge or something along those lines.
I Think Karl from Nile would disagree here.

Back