ok, some of y'all have some fugly guitars

• Thread starter Thread starter rsm
  • Start date Start date
not sure if this is real? I hope not

images

Some days I look in the classified, shake my head and wonder who the fuck wants to buy the abomination guitar they are selling 🤣
Ain't that the truth. I think Savage Riffer called this his #1. "Best guitar I've ever played. I'll definitely own another one".

IQh25Va.jpg

My first guitar in grade school was a Harmony special from Sears that was barely a real guitar…finally after a year of suffering, my folks conceded I wasn’t going to quit and surprised me with this Westone Monark they found at a local shop.

I always thought it was fugly, but oh well it played a helluva lot better than that pos Harmony.

1707419108827.jpeg

Bought this a year or so ago, had one as my first good guitar. Purchased it new in ‘81 and sold it after a few years.
image000000.jpeg
Turns out it is my actual first guitar so I restored it back to about what it used to be. Color turned out more red, but close enough. I like odd guitars.
IMG_0832.jpeg

Reactions: rsm
There's the guitar abominations that some guy built in his shed. Then there's the big brands, of whom Gibson stands out for how incredibly min-maxed their designs are.

LP, Explorer, V, etc. Some of the greatest shapes of all-time.

Various mid-tier stuff that wasn't offensive yet not a hit, too many to name here.

Corvus, Futura, Moderne? Some of the worst shapes of all-time. Easily. That's not even mentioning the reverse V, reverse Firebird, etc. that made the company look like it ran out of ideas. Gibson has made a shocking number of models where your best guess is that they designed it as a joke.

I know people pick on the Norlin era, but it continues into the present day. Really bizarre company with more R&D dollars than sense when it comes to thinking outside the box.

Reactions: rsm
Bought this a year or so ago, had one as my first good guitar. Purchased it new in ‘81 and sold it after a few years.
View attachment 286577
Turns out it is my actual first guitar so I restored it back to about what it used to be. Color turned out more red, but close enough. I like odd guitars.
View attachment 286589
That is cool. That shape may have influenced the Alias design by BR Jr.

33363__10_818x.progressive.jpg

That is cool. That shape may have influenced the Alias design by BR Jr.

View attachment 286592
Probably a few guitars were influenced by that shape. It is one piece mahogaby body and neck with ebony fingerboard. Cost me $650.00 with the case back in 81. Can’t believe I got it back after almost 40 years.

Back