OK...What Amps Do You NEVER Regret Selling?

• Thread starter Thread starter angelspade
  • Start date Start date
Mesa Stiletto Deuce Stage II. I'm a big Mesa fan but that's the only one I flat out didn't like at all. Too bad, had high hopes for it. I see people praising it all the time though - maybe their ears are broken.

Mesa seems to struggle a bit whwn they s
Mesa Stiletto Deuce Stage II. I'm a big Mesa fan but that's the only one I flat out didn't like at all. Too bad, had high hopes for it. I see people praising it all the time though - maybe their ears are broken.
Mesa seems to struggle a bit when they step too far outside their core-competency and flagship platforms...Rectifiers, Marks primarily.

Another amp I don't really regret selling was my Peavey VTM-60. It had good tone but it was really bright, too bright for me (I;m more of a Mesa guy). It was kinda icepicky at band volumes.

Mesa seems to struggle a bit whwn they s

Mesa seems to struggle a bit when they step too far outside their core-competency and flagship platforms...Rectifiers, Marks primarily.
Isn't the Stilleto kinda like their take on a Marshally kinda amp??

I never regretted selling my Grandmeister40..............both times!
That amp fucking sucked so bad! Very fortunate I was able to get rid of mine. I kept changing all of my other gear around to try to make it work. What a turd of an amp.

Panama Inferno 100 - should have returned it during the return period, but hung onto it, because I wanted to make it work (I liked that it had 4 independent channels), but I eventually gave up, and only got 1/5th of what I paid for it new. That's the last time I bought into a YT-hyped amp.

I currently have a Supro Black Magick 25w head sitting in the box ready to be returned. I'm not sure if I'll miss it or not.
Dang! I was hoping that Supro would sound great. Seems like it would on paper anyway. I have a Panama cab they made right before they went under. Shame too w the Panama because they fixed all of their build quality issues and stupid ideas but a little too late!!

Egnater Vengeance - I wanted to like this amp so much but it's god awful in the room. Stiff, bloated, ugly gain structure and weird mids. I keep buying them when they pop up for good deals and then immediately reselling them, never tempted to keep them

Engl Powerball I - Most overly compressed, fizzy, buzzy, scooped amp I've ever played. Was super excited to own it, couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Not a great first taste of Engl.

Diezel VH4S - Ultra stiff, bloated, amp. Mids were so round it just sounded like the whole thing was coming down a tunnel, and the gain on this amp was all crunch, no fizz. Not at all what I was expecting, and again, sent it packing and have never considered it a mistake. I know people love these, but it just was not at all for me.

splawn nitro, nothing i really clicked with
engl powerball-yeah no
two channel recs-mmhmm not as much gain or whatever as i wanted/expected
dieal vh4, and even the herbert

ironically with the latter 2 i still want a hagen or d-moll

blackstar-series one any version i've had

6505 just because you can always pick one up any day of the week, but love the amp

Mesa Roadster. That channel switching delay was beyond annoying and I couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Forgot about that issue and bought another one a few years later and quickly remembered why I hated that thing.

There has been others but The Peavey JSX Joe Satch 100 watt head. I thought I was getting a better Triple X but that was not the case with me.

Egnater Vengeance - I wanted to like this amp so much but it's god awful in the room. Stiff, bloated, ugly gain structure and weird mids. I keep buying them when they pop up for good deals and then immediately reselling them, never tempted to keep them

Engl Powerball I - Most overly compressed, fizzy, buzzy, scooped amp I've ever played. Was super excited to own it, couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Not a great first taste of Engl.

Diezel VH4S - Ultra stiff, bloated, amp. Mids were so round it just sounded like the whole thing was coming down a tunnel, and the gain on this amp was all crunch, no fizz. Not at all what I was expecting, and again, sent it packing and have never considered it a mistake. I know people love these, but it just was not at all for me.
I think the one of the main appeals of the Diezel amps is that they work so well in a live situation because of the clarity they have. You can hear every detail of a VH4 live... that's why lots of bands are using them. That lack of sizzle is kinda like a lo-pass filter, it helps make the amp sound very detailed in a mix. I kinda do the same thing with my Mark IV, I keep the pull bright pushed in sometimes, and that gives the amp almost no sizzle or high end content above 4k or 5k or something with the right pickup like a JB., Makes it sound very clear sounding cause the top end is so defined.

Last edited:
Dang! I was hoping that Supro would sound great. Seems like it would on paper anyway. I have a Panama cab they made right before they went under. Shame too w the Panama because they fixed all of their build quality issues and stupid ideas but a little too late!!
Honestly, the Supro did sound great, but I ended up picking up a Magnatone (which is supposed to arrive tomorrow).

Meaa Single and Dual Rectifiers. I'm a Marshall guy i guess and always will be. ENGL Fireball. I'm part German and lived there for a bit and wanted to gel with the German amp but just lined more to modern tones for me. I should have got a Blackmore back then.

Oh one more, the Laney Tony Iommi amp. That thing is made for playing concerts at Wembley Stadium, period. That amp was louder turned off than any other amp turned on. "0.1" on the dial was gigable sitting behind the stage, with Bonham on drums.

Back