Once again.... WHATS COOKING?!

• Thread starter Thread starter Mailman1971
  • Start date Start date
IndyWS6":r4sm0hny said:
You know what's NOT cooking? The 4th annual Crawfish and Crabfest 2020. Fucking PISSED. We've have had 90 pounds of crawfish flown in over Easter weekend each of the last three years so we can boil those little bastards and get drunk with friends and family. They are still shipping, but congregating puts people at risk. FUCK. By the time this is over, Crawfish season will be, too. Like I said, PISSED.

If someone knows the name of the Chinese dude that butt-fucked the monkey to start this, let me know. I'll fl over and beat his ass :)

I had to read this out loud to the wife.
I said, "who does that sound like"

She laffed because I say the same thing.
Slop ass bat fucker

Couple more super simple things (the devil is in the details!).

Creme Brulee, I need a bigger torch.

20200401-183344.jpg

Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread from a hot cast iron skillet older than me with a little hot bacon grease. Do not overcook! This took about 13 minutes at 425* F (and hot pan).

20200403-181131.jpg

The cornbread looks awesome. Your "torch" is a pussy. I have a BIC lighter bigger than that LOL. My kitchen torch uses disposable butane cartridges and sounds like a 747 during lift-off :D

Know what I had for breakfast? Pan-seared rib bones (and trim scraps) from an 8 lb bone-in, lip on rib roast. They were on sale ($7/lb :yes: ) when I went to the store last Saturday (gloved and masked) and it's been staring at me from the refrigerator. I removed the bones and carved it into three massive steaks. I'll freeze one, but cook the other two this afternoon. One for me and the GF, the other for her parents. They are 88 and 90 and I'm trying to keep them inside.

I trimmed off the lip fat, cubed it and put it in the freezer. Rendering it makes for some great beef gravy/Au Jus down the road...

SpiderWars":1fxbzess said:
Couple more super simple things (the devil is in the details!).

Creme Brulee, I need a bigger torch.

20200401-183344.jpg

Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread from a hot cast iron skillet older than me with a little hot bacon grease. Do not overcook! This took about 13 minutes at 425* F (and hot pan).

20200403-181131.jpg

Oh man - I am so jealous of that cornbread. That looks fantastic. I MUST master that. My buddies keep prodding me that I need to up my game from regular corn bread to Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Bread. So you baked that? Bacon grease? Holy fack tell me more please.

PS: I've neglected my duties lately and have not taken pics but yesterday I did biscuits and homemade sausage gravy and then my chili for dinner. Hella Day :yes:

It's super easy. I just use Jiffy mix, 2 boxes for that recipe. 2 large Jalapeno, diced and very lightly sauteed plus a little over 1 cup grated cheddar. The cheddar requires a little extra milk in the recipe and I usually add about a Tablespoon on honey. That's it. I save bacon grease just for this, about a Tablespoon in the pan and preheat the oven to 425* F with the iron skillet inside. Check with a toothpick but if you wait until it comes out clean it's probably overcooked (too dry and crumbly).

Thanks.
Yeah that's easy enough.
My wife will have Japs in her garden soon enough.
I have a cast iron pot but not skillet - should work fine though.
I save bacon grease too :D
I use Jiffy as well and now Krusteaz as it is gluten free.
I also add a can of drained corn to my mix.
Was mostly curious if you make your own mix or use box.

IndyWS6":3640kv3n said:
This, Mailman, is how you do it. Four racks, cut into thirds, rubbed & wrapped just before hitting the oven.

Giving this a go this afternoon..ribs getting ready to be center stage in the oven.

Did Air fryer cod planks.
Sounds cheesy. But over cooked them. Super crunchy.
Cooked them 15 minutes. Flipped over.
Tartar on top.
Holy moly. :rock:

Attachments

• 560B9825-00DF-41CA-A469-F639A0B6A9DC.jpeg
    560B9825-00DF-41CA-A469-F639A0B6A9DC.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 2,746
Ugh. Shouldn't have looked. Now my tummy's gurgling.

Made fire-bomb chocolate chunk cookies over the weekend. Basically just took a nice chocolate chip recipe, took a Raging Reaper bar and chopped it up to replace half the chocolate chips. Ate one and had to down a glass of milk to stop the burn. Wishing we weren't locked down so I could hand them out to friends and watch their faces turn red.

MM - when did you update your signature

I don't remember this :lol: :LOL:

Where do you guys stand on marinades vs seasoning blends vs plain ole salt n pepper? On things like: Steaks, burgers, roasted chicken, etc.

On stuff like ribs I use a blend but more and more I just use salt n pepper. Def on steaks, burgers, and my favorite; Thomas Keller's Roasted Chicken.

In my ribs pic you can see Weber Classic BBQ rub. I've landed on that for now. That has the best balance of sweet and heat for me. I use it on chicken too. I've been through a lot of rubs it is just my favorite. But for steak and burgers - yeah salt and pepper. Sometimes Monterey.

I do like Andrea's Steak Sauce marinade sometimes.

Marinade for solids like steak & strips.
Rubs for chunks like legs, thighs etc.
Salt, pepper & sauces for mince (burgers, Bolognese etc).

311splawndude":1n1ys75q said:
MM - when did you update your signature

I don't remember this :lol: :LOL:
You're on-the-ball, mate; it was only yesterday.

All I did was specify the guitar and bass brands; everything else remains the same. All-American except for my monitors (Aussie), Kemper (German) and hardware synths (all Japanese). The only Chinese items I own would be stock components in computer-based gear 'cause that's how manufacturers roll.

Good steaks don't NEED more than salt and pepper. However, a lower quality cut can be turned into something special. A little red wine with some seasonings in a bag overnight will tenderize even the toughest cut. The wine breaks down the proteins a bit. Then you sear each side just a bit, toss some butter on top and throw it in a hot oven for about a few minutes, variable by how thick it is.

Simple hamburgers: salt and pepper
Better hamburgers: a little onion or steak sauce, some of my pepper blend spice mix, or actual chopped fresh or roasted peppers, a little onion, a little garlic, and if I'm feeling extra saucy, wrap the patties in bacon. Not too tight, cause the bacon will squeeze the burger if it's too tight. I have also been known to blend shredded cheese into the burger before forming patties.

nightflameauto":3as9a435 said:
Good steaks don't NEED more than salt and pepper. However, a lower quality cut can be turned into something special. A little red wine with some seasonings in a bag overnight will tenderize even the toughest cut. The wine breaks down the proteins a bit. Then you sear each side just a bit, toss some butter on top and throw it in a hot oven for about a few minutes, variable by how thick it is.

Simple hamburgers: salt and pepper
Better hamburgers: a little onion or steak sauce, some of my pepper blend spice mix, or actual chopped fresh or roasted peppers, a little onion, a little garlic, and if I'm feeling extra saucy, wrap the patties in bacon. Not too tight, cause the bacon will squeeze the burger if it's too tight. I have also been known to blend shredded cheese into the burger before forming patties.
A good cut of beef doesn't NEED more than salt & pepper, but they respond favorably to a little more seasoning, Every steakhouse has a "signature" blend, but for the common man, Montreal Steak Seasoning is the shit. It's readily available and has all of the spices required in the proper proportions. Use it, embrace it, love it. Why? Because it kills.

Back