One of the best Marshall tones

• Thread starter Thread starter 7704A
  • Start date Start date
certainly has that later 80's early 90's marshall sound ... just a tad fizzy for my liking but still cool

It's alot of tone in a single design.
For that much PCB I'd sure hope so:
1726293526397.png

I know that's nothing compared to some more complex modern amps, but still. Compared to this
1726293725143.png

It's pretty claustrophobic in there. I suppose I only really care since I'd plan to have my fingers in there tweaking, reworking, modding, etc., and the 800 looks like it'd be nicer for that.

For that much PCB I'd sure hope so:
View attachment 341915

I know that's nothing compared to some more complex modern amps, but still. Compared to this
View attachment 341918
It's pretty claustrophobic in there. I suppose I only really care since I'd plan to have my fingers in there tweaking, reworking, modding, etc., and the 800 looks like it'd be nicer for that.

Yeah the SLX is already a hotrod.

Nothing wrong with PCB and if you think that's bad... lol... look at mesa. It's 2 boards that are easily accessible after taking off the knob nuts and jack nuts.

Ps- Deez Nuts
💀

Now usually I don't like how Marshalls sound. But this video... I keep watching it just to hear the tones. Well, and the riffs.

Yeah. First of the video when it sounds like he isnt using a ton of effects, that is a nice clean to mean.

I am the same as you. I prefer a very simple path instead of a pcb from hell. Soldano had a beautiful pcb design on the avenger. It is part of why i am a single channel guy. Plus i just cant imagine needing to change channels when i can roll down for cleans, hit a pedal for nasty or delay.

The fact is a lot of guys find the channel they like on an amp and stick there, so why not just make that tone in one channel?

Attachments

• KS JMP guts.jpg
    KS JMP guts.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Free2.jpg
    Free2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 16
  • ST2.jpg
    ST2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • Jmp back.jpg
    Jmp back.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • be2203 rear.jpg
    be2203 rear.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
His tone sucks imo, every note is brittle and it has to be his technique bc that amp is a legend. Nothing glorious here and I was looking forward to hearing something epic.
This.

Really good player; but if my 800 sounded like that I'd immediately unplug from it and fire up another amp. That doesn't sound very good, at all. Very raspy; and kinda bloated. Like there's something wrong with it. Maybe it's well past the sweet spot (these amps start to sound worse above 4 or so on the master v) and they HAD to dime it thinking that's actually what was done. It wasn't. Not even a NMV Marshall sounds good dimed, at least the ones I've owned...they also sounded worse all the way up.

No wonder some think a JCM 900/SLX sounds the same as this. That is spot on.
A bad JCM 800 tone=Normal SLX/900 tone.
Makes sense.

The 800 doesn't suck. The room he's shooting that clip in sucks.

Fizzy, and lacking clarity, kerrang. Single notes and chords in the lower register seem mushy. If it's stock, it seems like he's trying to get too much gain from the preamp. It'd probably be better using lower gain on the amp, and goosing the input, something that cuts the low end a bit. Single notes in the upper register sound better, but still not quite right to me.

Maybe it's the cab? Or maybe it just sounds better in the room than it does on the recording.

Last edited:
Good playing, not good tone. He somehow makes that poor JCM800 almost sound like JCM900 there

Sounds like he has the preamp on 10 and the master too high.

His tone sucks imo, every note is brittle and it has to be his technique bc that amp is a legend. Nothing glorious here and I was looking forward to hearing something epic.
I agree...not digging that at all.

Nothing wrong with PCB
No of course not, assuming they're well done. In that respect it sucks that both the 800 and 900 are using single-sided PCB's with the components mounted the opposite side of the foil.
look at mesa.
Yeah mesa stuff is pretty crazy. Compared to the 800 though, the 900 is much more densely populated with more stuff going on. More stuff etched in stonefiberglass to work around if I want to change things in a non-trivial way.

or bitey/gurgly...

I was also hoping for something less abrasive.
That doesn't sound very good, at all.
The room he's shooting that clip in sucks.
Good playing, not good tone. He somehow makes that poor JCM800 almost sound like JCM900 there
Good playing, not good tone.
I agree...not digging that at all.
Hah, told you I don't like Marshalls. I suppose I figured that meant that when I was impressed by video it was 'cause the tone was just that good. Turns out I don't like Marshalls and want them to sound different than the rest of yous. :dunno:

I stand by it though. One of the best Marshall tones I've heard, and it's definitely fueling some GAS.

Edit: I do wonder how much of it has to do with different listening setups... I'm on a cheap set of gaming headphones I won at a white elephant exchange some years ago.

No of course not, assuming they're well done.
For what it might be worth my mid 90's RI Plexi had a very high quality PCB. Even the tech I used at the time remarked how nicely it was done. It was also a reliable amp. The only problem it ever experienced in about 20 years was a tube arcing out in one of the sockets.

Back