One of the best Marshall tones

• Thread starter Thread starter 7704A
  • Start date Start date
Edit: I do wonder how much of it has to do with different listening setups... I'm on a cheap set of gaming headphones I won at a white elephant exchange some years ago.

If those headphones make those toans sound good, I gotta get some lolz

It sounded better when I cranked my monitors up and listened to it again but then I felt I was hearing digital IR harshness in the highs. How did I do? I got some cheap M audio 5" monitors.

It does at least to my ears but it's not the only problem. His technique under it all is off. The way he is moving off one note to the next is not proper execution. It's a timing thing, too little time fretting the note. It makes his playing sound really really bad.

Here's another one. He definitely knows how to dial in the Germino. When he posted the 800 vids, it was right after he bought it and hadn't spent much time with it. I don't think he uses it very much or even has it anymore?

Jacob is a hell of a player and he gets some of the really nicest tones out of whatever amp he plays.

His Germino tones are probably some of my favorite Plexi-ish tones I've ever heard.

It has its place but thats not a "Marshall tone" to my ears. Its a Germino.
Having said that Charlie Star of Blackberry Smoke plays a Germino and that does sound like a Marsahll.
Id say Jake just isnt dialed in right.

When he plays those palm mutes on the Seek and Destroy riff, all I hear is FART FART FART FART, TBH.

@7704A

here's an example of a (much) better, much less brittle/abrasive Marshall tone.

Oh, and FWIW, I'm listening here on pretty darn good, studio-grade Beyer DT 990 Pro headphones.

@7704A You know, maybe i also dont like marshall tones... Because every time i talk about a good marshall tone, people tell me it isnt marshall tone

I'm starting to feel the same way :ROFLMAO:

Now I'm worried because I like this tone and I'm starting to wonder if it's a good Marshall tone or not

Now I'm worried because I like this tone and I'm starting to wonder if it's a good Marshall tone or not

I think a lot of guys here are very particular about what a marshall sounds like. Many have said that they hate the silver jubilee. But I have played one of these reissues and can say that with a boost, as long as you aren't in the same room with about 8-10 of the top amps being made right now (and that is because of lack of punch compared to the big boys), it is an absolute beast. Sounds phenomenal.

If you put the preamp into a 150 watt power amp, i believe this would probably be my favorite amp. It sounds that good.

I don’t even need to put on my headphones to know that’s good right there.

Last edited:
@7704A

here's an example of a (much) better, much less brittle/abrasive Marshall tone.

Oh, and FWIW, I'm listening here on pretty darn good, studio-grade Beyer DT 990 Pro headphones.

I love my sv20h! Best amp i have ever had. Marshall did a fantastic job with these.

Back