Passive SD vs EMG vs Fishman Fluence through tube amps (Marshall JVM)

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 27494
  • Start date Start date
D
Deleted member 27494
Hey guys,

I've been wanting to make this comparison for a while. I recently rounded off my ESP LTD Phoenix collection so I now own 4 of the same model, each with different pickup configurations. This means that I can now compare the pickups (or guitars) through an amp and see how they sound side by side. Of course the guitars themselves are likely to have some minor differences in between them because of the wood but the differences between the pickups will be much more drastic imho.

The guitars all have the same wood types, scale length, construction, strings, gauges, tunings etc. so that helps in keeping things consistent. These are the pickups that I'm comparing:

- Seymour Duncan Custom
- EMG81tw
- Fishman Fluence Modern (voice 1 and 2)

I wanted to try this through a familiar amp first so I went with the Peavey 6505 and a high-gain tone. It's hard for me to pick a favorite because they all have their charm. I'd be very interesting in hearing your thoughts. Which one did you prefer here and why?

Update:

Here's a new episode but this time with a Marshall:

Last edited by a moderator:
Really enjoyed this comparison, very illuminating. I found myself preferring the passive setting on the Fishman much more than the modern setting, as you said it seemed a bit more dynamic. The EMG has a good sound but probably the most limited of the bunch. The SD Custom definitely seemed to be my favorite in terms of how it responded overall and where it sits EQ wise, with the Fishman passive coming in second. I use a 6505+ head so this is good info, thanks!

Fishman modern sounded too djent voiced to me. The passive setting sounded worse than the Duncan at the Duncan’s own game. I really liked the EMG, classic and all over all kinds of records.

I would take the Duncan Custom or the EMG for my tastes.

I tune to standard or Eb FWIW.

Thank you for taking the time to make the video comparison - it really outlines just how classic the classics are. The Duncan custom has been around for ages just as the EMG 81.

Could you do a similar comparison with a low/medium gain amplifier?

Last edited:
This is a similar comparison to my own guitars. Duncans FTW! Fishmans in second. The EMG just don't have any character which is how I feel about my LTD with HET set.

I don't know, there's something about the attack and tightness of the EMG-81 that always appeals to me. Not a big fan of the 5150/6505 though.

The 81TW is different compared to the regular 81, though. It's lower output and fatter, IME.

The regular 81 would fit tonally somewhere between the 81TW and the Fluence Modern in active mode.

Last edited:
I prefer the Custom, then the EMG, then the Fishman. The Fishman just seems too flat or smoothed out sounding or something.

Here's a new episode but this time with a Marshall:

Back