Poor sales

• Thread starter Thread starter Exo-metal
  • Start date Start date
A lot of people drastically overpaid for a lot of shit. Now they are mad because they can't flip their 270th guitar of the year they have bought for a profit. Too bad so sad. It's only gonna get worse.
giphy.gif

Locally, I’m seeing prices coming down. I just scored a 65’ Deluxe Reverb, mint condition for $600 and over the weekend a ‘68 Custom Deluxe Reverb popped up for $650. There’s a couple 6505’s for $700 and the only reason I’m not buying one is because I’ve already owned a 5150 (or variant) more than enough. Hell, I even saw a couple Les Paul Standards for under a grand, which I haven’t seen in a while. There’s a mint Ibanez Genesis for like $750 right now I’m getting an itchy trigger finger over.

Online, not so much.
Ok those are bonkers deals on the Fenders and the LP’s if they’re legit. Not sure where you are but I haven’t seen anything like that down South. Prices have gone down a little bit though, especially on things that were really stupid to jack up like mid-level import guitars and bottom tier Gibsons.

Will be looking to sell a few high end things. Just to thin out. Probably in spring. Will not be giving them away or as "deal" :)

People can crack on Reverb all you want. Most of the stuff I sell is sold off of there and that's with fees and sales tax and everything . This is the place everyone wants deal of the century . I don't see too much moving here. I'm actually thinking as I ponder my herd thinning to lower the prices so people that want my stuff will think it's priced fairly . Fortunately , this is a hobby for me but it's easier if it's mostly self funding ---One thing in one thing out and maybe kick in some money .

The reality is most of this stuff is pretty worthless when it comes time to sell it unless it's true name brand vintage . I still have a couple of JMP's and JCM800's I bought for 300.00 years ago I still own . Look at what they go for now. Stupid money !

People can crack on Reverb all you want. Most of the stuff I sell is sold off of there and that's with fees and sales tax and everything . This is the place everyone wants deal of the century . I don't see too much moving here. I'm actually thinking as I ponder my herd thinning to lower the prices so people that want my stuff will think it's priced fairly . Fortunately , this is a hobby for me but it's easier if it's mostly self funding ---One thing in one thing out and maybe kick in some money .

The reality is most of this stuff is pretty worthless when it comes time to sell it unless it's true name brand vintage . I still have a couple of JMP's and JCM800's I bought for 300.00 years ago I still own . Look at what they go for now. Stupid money !
Ironically despite all the cool gear in the world I'm sure a lot of us on the forum could get everything I need done with a JMP or a JCM 800 and some pedals. But where is the fun in that.

My perspective, I try to buy at prices I can live with. I try not to overpay so I don't have to sell it at inflated prices to break even. Or, if I do take a loss (which is usually minimal), in my mind that is the cost of trying stuff out and like paying a ticket for a ride. I try it, I make a choice, and now the thought is dead in my head and I can stop looking for youtube videos or write ups on amps I haven't used. Still a slightly cheaper habit than heroin and hookers.

Agreed, none of us like the fees or taxes, but if it weren’t for reverb I wouldn’t have sold at least 95% of the stuff I did sell. I’ve been pretty surprised because they could’ve gotten it cheaper on my RT listing and some of those buyers here and there were RT members who still bought it on my reverb page

Last edited:
I'm too paranoid to sell any of my high end stuff.

Plus, I don't want to send anything via UPS, FedEx, etc...

And, my local market is trash, so I'm "stuck" for lack of a better word.

I was tired of shipping and sometimes the hassle of selling. I took a bunch of shit (5 guitars, 2 amps and some pedals) to a local music store and put them on consignment. It takes longer but there is no hassle and the store will ship too. I still have a Skervesen 7 string and a Caparison Horus at the store but everything else eventually sold.

I figured it helped a local mom and pop store and all I had to do is collect my money after a sale.

The past year or two, it seems like a lot of new gear that's normally readily available is out of stock or on back order. I feel like that's probably contributing to the amount of used stuff that's popping up.

Sucks, because I got a decent pay bump at the beginning of '21 and can afford a couple new toys every year now, and it's harder & harder to come across anything I really want.

I think it’s also due to the market being flooded with such killer stuff.
So much to choose from at multiple price points.

-Rad shit moves in a nano-second tho’.
There’s still a few cost effective ways to sell gear quite easily.
It might take some work or?
-GET OFF OF IT moneybags, ya f’n hear?
Verdict?
Only buy super-dope AF gear or
-WALK HOME BOY.

Now that's a problem I wish I had...
You ever try meditation?
The reason I ask is because gear acquisition syndrome can be easily dealt with.
It sucks to have to sit still in anyone’s thoughts,
but if you can focus on not giving into the disgruntlement effect.. for 5 actual minutes..
Same tool for those GAS bargain thoughts.
Delay the gratification,
-give up the choice of reward.
Remember, you gotta pay for the gear AND sell it if need be, or if you don’t vibe with it.
Is it worth it?
-Sleep on it.

Ironically despite all the cool gear in the world I'm sure a lot of us on the forum could get everything I need done with a JMP or a JCM 800 and some pedals. But where is the fun in that.

My perspective, I try to buy at prices I can live with. I try not to overpay so I don't have to sell it at inflated prices to break even. Or, if I do take a loss (which is usually minimal), in my mind that is the cost of trying stuff out and like paying a ticket for a ride. I try it, I make a choice, and now the thought is dead in my head and I can stop looking for youtube videos or write ups on amps I haven't used. Still a slightly cheaper habit than heroin and hookers.
Exactly my view point !! I buy stuff at the best fair price I can and truthfully most of the time I lose a little bit on it when I sell it but I look at my time owning as rental fees to try to out !!!!

Now that's a problem I wish I had...
I've been buying and selling gear on & off for about two decades now. A lot of what I wanted, I owned at some point or another, and there were time periods where I was going through a stupid amount of stuff.

I don't own nearly what I used to, but I've still got an entire room full of guitars, amps, plus a bass rig & drum kit. It's difficult to justify hoarding more. I'm just at a point where there's a handful of things I want, because they offer something that none of my current gear does, and I'm confident that I'd want to keep them indefinitely.

It also has a lot to do with price, and me being more particular about what I want. I knew I wanted a nice US made strat for years, and held out until I came across a Nash s63 for $1300. I know currently, I want a butterscotch tele with a neck humbucker, a PRS single cut, a nice burst LP, a good acoustic with a pickup, and maybe another 7 string. I'll gladly hold out until I find exactly what I'm looking for, at the price I want to pay for them.

I'm always playing in a band or doing something that involves other musicians, and I'll make exceptions if I need to buy something that allows me to do that more effectively.

The tax stuff stopped me from selling anything this year. I toyed with selling my iic+ and 100B but ended up pulling them down after considering the tax hit.

The tax stuff stopped me from selling anything this year. I toyed with selling my iic+ and 100B but ended up pulling them down after considering the tax hit.
Dibs on the 100B if you change your mind again.

The market is what the market....but yes....has me scratching my head on the "vintage" (depending on an individuals definition) mesa sales if that's what you're getting at. And I love the old Mesa stuff but understand why most people don't, and may even despise a lot of it. Many of the old MK's can sound dry, ratty, and sterile in the wrong hands. Was never a fan of the Rectumfryer, but wouldn't mind a Stiletto.

I could say the same thing about Wizard which I really like and have 3 of ATM. Still can't believe the dumbasses selling these (although I really don't believe they're getting what they're asking). Of course don't know what I think of as "vintage" exists in Wizard. But I have seen some that looked to be 30yrs old or more with no effects loops, that pop like like hell when switched between channels. I got into trying to harvest some of the really old ones a while back, but just lost my patience with some of the ignorant clods trying to sell them. If I could even get one of the dumbfuckers to give me a serial number, I'd just get Rick to tell me what he could about a particular build.

Avast on the dumbassery.......check out this butt-ugly POS:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125578588913?hash=item1d3d1132f1:g:4IMAAOSwz3VjNx2N
$3,500 for this boat anchor. NFW!!

Hz3xY3h.gif

Shit in one hand wish in the other. See which fills up first!

Have to give PLX all the credit on the GIF. I copied and saved the moment I saw it.
I’ve seen that Wizard combo on my local Craigslist for months now.

I wonder when the seller is gonna take the hint.

Ok those are bonkers deals on the Fenders and the LP’s if they’re legit. Not sure where you are but I haven’t seen anything like that down South. Prices have gone down a little bit though, especially on things that were really stupid to jack up like mid-level import guitars and bottom tier Gibsons.

I’m in Ft. Lauderdale, so we tend to have a few “I need a fix, buy my shit right NOW” ads popping up because the party never stops for some people!

I personally wonder if it also has anything to do with more people buying and selling equipment to flip it for profit, but I’m definitely not any expert.

Back