ronnie le tekro

• Thread starter Thread starter mentoneman
  • Start date Start date
I have talked to the guy that does his mods a couple of times for other reasons, but of course the subject of Ronnies tones came up. Like someone already said the JMP sounds almost like stock. There are no gain added, the amp are modded a bit to sound the best with his pedals that also are slightly modded.

FortinAmps":28fmct1c said:
For those interested, the video clip that Chubtone is referring to can be viewed here:
http://www.internationalguitaracademy.com/ :rock:

That's just a teaser video. If you join the site which is like $50 or 60 bucks (yeah, I'm that big of a Ronni nerd) you get like a 10 minute video of his gear run through, and it's full size.

As for a Ronni criticism, the guy hasn't recorded anything worthwhile from a soloing standpoint since Realized Fantasies in the early 90's. If you have the first four US released TNT albums you don't even need anything else. Ronni has about 25-30 different CD's he has recorded and I own every single one. Like I said, I'm a Ronni nerd and a much broker Ronni nerd than I should be because I shouldn't have bought hardly any of his stuff since Realized Fantasies. Yeah, there's some cool tones and songs on My Religion and a couple of the other ones, but when it comes to solo time, Ronni is HUGELY disappointing. All he ver does now, and he calls this "improvising his solos" (instead of the killer composed and phrased solos he used to do) all he does now is blaze through some extremely cliche blues lick for like 10 seconds while freaking out on his wah pedal and then he finishes up with his extremely overused machine gun picking. That's all he does anymore. The wah'd blues licks and machine gun picking used to be just a small dimension of his playing and now, that's all there is.

The last recording I got of TNT was Intuition....after that I lost interest.
Tell no Tales is my favorite one of theirs. Smoking playing and writing on that one :thumbsup:

Chubtone":3acv8f3g said:
FortinAmps":3acv8f3g said:
For those interested, the video clip that Chubtone is referring to can be viewed here:
http://www.internationalguitaracademy.com/ :rock:

That's just a teaser video. If you join the site which is like $50 or 60 bucks (yeah, I'm that big of a Ronni nerd) you get like a 10 minute video of his gear run through, and it's full size.

As for a Ronni criticism, the guy hasn't recorded anything worthwhile from a soloing standpoint since Realized Fantasies in the early 90's. If you have the first four US released TNT albums you don't even need anything else. Ronni has about 25-30 different CD's he has recorded and I own every single one. Like I said, I'm a Ronni nerd and a much broker Ronni nerd than I should be because I shouldn't have bought hardly any of his stuff since Realized Fantasies. Yeah, there's some cool tones and songs on My Religion and a couple of the other ones, but when it comes to solo time, Ronni is HUGELY disappointing. All he ver does now, and he calls this "improvising his solos" (instead of the killer composed and phrased solos he used to do) all he does now is blaze through some extremely cliche blues lick for like 10 seconds while freaking out on his wah pedal and then he finishes up with his extremely overused machine gun picking. That's all he does anymore. The wah'd blues licks and machine gun picking used to be just a small dimension of his playing and now, that's all there is.
I agree with you 100% on all accounts and Chalk me up to being in the same boat as you although I don't have as many albums as you do!
I stopped getting Ronni's material after getting burned one to many times. I spent damn near $30 on one of his albums only to be hugely dissapointed and I called it quits buying his stuff shortly after.

I hate to say this but Ronni's not the only one I feel like this about. ;)

Gainfreak":1w8a1zou said:
I agree with you 100% on all accounts and Chalk me up to being in the same boat as you although I don't have as many albums as you do!
I stopped getting Ronni's material after getting burned one to many times. I spent damn near $30 on one of his albums only to be hugely dissapointed and I called it quits buying his stuff shortly after.

Hey Ralph this reminds me....when the '72 is on it's way, dust off and get that 2205 victim ready to go :rock:

FortinAmps":2bisj83b said:
Gainfreak":2bisj83b said:

Hey Ralph this reminds me....when the '72 is on it's way, dust off and get that 2205 victim ready to go :rock:

About time Ralphie got some big iron to play with :D

Digital Jams":2km07uxq said:
FortinAmps":2km07uxq said:
Gainfreak":2km07uxq said:

About time Ralphie got some big iron to play with :D

It's getting converted to a 100w format ;)

Ralphie,
What are you doing to a poor old '72 50 watt Marshall? You east coast guys are addicted to gain like some possessed crack addicts. Put down the pipe, you loonies and leave Mr. Marshalls old gems alone. Start modding old Boogies. See if you can make those listenable. :lol: :LOL:

donbarzini":2tpwq0ut said:
Chubtone":2tpwq0ut said:
Ralphie,
What are you doing to a poor old '72 50 watt Marshall? You east coast guys are addicted to gain like some possessed crack addicts. Put down the pipe, you loonies and leave Mr. Marshalls old gems alone. Start modding old Boogies. See if you can make those listenable. :lol: :LOL:
:lol: :LOL:

What I should have said is why not take some old Boogie MK1 and MKIIC and mod them to try and make them sound like Marshalls or would that have been too ironic? :gethim: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Chubtone":1y6bmoik said:
Ralphie,

:hys:

The 72 was already modded by Lee Jackson once and then Modded again by Dave Bray. If it was still all original I would have more then likely sent my metro Kit to be modded and then sent the 72 to Mike for a tune up, but since its been modded multiple times already and has holes drilled into it, I had no problem sending it to Mike for a 3rd and final re-mod. I'm confident that it will sound BEYOND amazing when I get it back and it will more then likely kick ass in the stock setting after Mike has worked his magic (even moreso then the original IMHO!!)

:rock:

Chubtone":2kjllupz said:
Ralphie,

Ralph's JCM 800 2205 is hardly an old gem :lol: :LOL: Boogies :scared: too much to do to them :thumbsdown:

I don't like to mod "vintage" Marshall for the same reasons but Ralph's 100w '72 has been violated, power transformer not original, all the mustards gone, nothing original anymore :lol: :LOL:

Cheers,
Mike

FortinAmps":1tbjfrs3 said:
Chubtone":1tbjfrs3 said:
Ralphie,

Ralph's JCM 800 2205 is hardly an old gem :lol: :LOL: Boogies :scared: too much to do to them :thumbsdown:

I don't like to mod "vintage" Marshall for the same reasons but Ralph's 100w '72 has been violated, power transformer not original, all the mustards gone, nothing original anymore :lol: :LOL:

Cheers,
Mike
Hey Mike how goes it? No need to apologize on the amp work. The poor thing had it's soul removed and sent out naked. You gave it a mind of it's own and a pair of pants. I bet it will sound awesome. :yes:

FortinAmps":1vqqd33l said:

Cheers,
Mike

I would just install an Axe FX inside that thing then. See if Ralph notices. Just set the patch to Stun and the gain to Obliterate and the review from Ralph that follows will cause your phone to ring off the hook.

Question on Scotty's mod? How will you change the battery in the Metal Zone in there without him noticing? Did you tell him to not leave the cord plugged into the input jack while he's not playing it?

That's all these east coasters need Mike. They want the amp to say Marshall on it but they want it to have unnatural amounts of gain to it. :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Chubtone":2f382ozv said:
Just set the patch to Stun and the gain to Obliterate and the review from Ralph that follows will cause your phone to ring off the hook.
:hys: Fuck me, that's funny...

Steve

I remember the first time I walked into squid music and there stood a long haired hessian riffing mightily on a modded Marshall into a warmoth strat

I believe the tune was "Last Summer's Evil"...

I bought a custom 2x12 cab loaded with a greenie and a gh30 from him but I had him pull the gh and swap in a v30

had to be around 93-94

then I bought a tc phaser pedal on my way to watch my bud Gary Carter (monster) play drums at his rehearsal place right behind the store a year or so later

ps
zachman had a Marshall/echoplex in high school (81?) and used to always say the preamp in it was part of "the" sound back then

in 87 I tried to crank my teac reel to reel 4 track output into my ampeg V4 ala Blackmore, and that was just LOUDER than an atom bomb.

mentoneman":2ftulubc said:
I remember the first time I walked into squid music and there stood a long haired hessian riffing mightily on a modded Marshall into a warmoth strat

I believe the tune was "Last Summer's Evil"...

That long hair was still around until a few weeks ago when a plumber came and snaked our drain :cry:

"Last Summers Evil" ? You know I am going to play that again tonight if I remember how it goes. :rock:

Digital Jams":ezblba31 said:
Greazygeo":ezblba31 said:
Chubtone":ezblba31 said:
Start modding old Boogies. See if you can make those listenable. :lol: :LOL:
You are asking the impossible.

LMAO!!!!!!

I love George :lol: :LOL:

Yet, I get nothing for the set up? The straight man never gets the laughs. Is that why donbarzini is so funny?

Back