So What's Up in the World of Amps?

• Thread starter Thread starter MistaGuitah
  • Start date Start date
I only lost one organ about a year and a half ago. But I went septic waiting for treatment so I got two extra bonus holes.

Should’ve went to the hospital on a Thursday, instead I waited for Friday in a sanctuary city and got pushed to the back of the line behind all of the illegals.

During that time, I’ve got several amplifiers.

No, none of this post is an exaggeration at all. It’s 100% factual actually.
I went through something similar also.....going septic was an odd experience. I drove about two hours to the hospital for surgery and have no recollection of it...lol....Also only remember parts of prep and waiting for the operation. Was on a vent..pretty crazy...I remember waking up and my wife telling me they had to put a feeding tube in me and I could not eat or drink. That sucked.

Only thing really is newer modeling/capture tech and devices. Clean and rock amps were perfected by 1970 and the code for high gain amps was cracked in the 80’s. Everything since has been sold as recapturing all that but going to 11…or just stack in another boost pedal

I went through something similar also.....going septic was an odd experience. I drove about two hours to the hospital for surgery and have no recollection of it...lol....Also only remember parts of prep and waiting for the operation. Was on a vent..pretty crazy...I remember waking up and my wife telling me they had to put a feeding tube in me and I could not eat or drink. That sucked.
Glad you made it off the vent! Must've been pre-covid?

Mark was doing mods in the early 1990’s. He’s even credited on Norum’s Another Destination album from 1995. 🤷 Mark is still doing mods as well.

Certainly not as a business model. Larry just restored an amp he did in 1991, is all over Iced Earth, still has orders, and they’re both fucking nuts so 🤷‍♂️

I have a thing for weird, often "never seen one in the wild" high gain heads. Most recently I scored MLC Subzero 93 head, and not long after the KAOS Hatred single channel prototype from Diezelduder. Now I have another rarity in my sights that I might get for such a crazy good price that I just can't pass it up. I wanted to get another Marshall mod done, but the the modder is waffling so that can wait. Really should sell off a bunch of "meh" heads, but I just don't have time to ship with any expediency. So the numbers just keep stacking up like terrorists prisoners at Abu Ghraib...I even bought head covers for them to complete the look for a prospective photo shoot.

I am waiting for a Guitar Center to fuck up and list a Peters Amp and I'm gonna pounce. I don't even care what model it is, Ill make it work.

Certainly not as a business model. Larry just restored an amp he did in 1991, is all over Iced Earth, still has orders, and they’re both fucking nuts so 🤷‍♂️
Plus prior he was the designer at Kitty Hawk in the mid 80s, who made some cool pre-amps…like first Winger/Reb Beach come to mind and were prior the Dumble importer for Europe and the first Dumble clone.

Larry predates Cameron initially starting his career over on Metroamp. He was doing mods before Mark and still is after.
Mark Cameron was employed and trained by Reinhold Bogner, but Reinhold did not move from Germany to the USA until 1989.

Larry started modding Marshall, Fender and Orange amps already in 1984.

Larry had already built his first own amp in 1989, which was then called Dinosaur and was a 3-channel amp with a 50 watt power stage:

Dinosaur.89.2.jpg

Dinosaur.89.3.jpg

This amp was also the forerunner of the first 'big' DINO, the DINO 802 TUBE AMP by LARRY, which was completed on the evening of January 8th, 1992, when the greedy customer was already there.

That was also the reason why the case didn't have a vinyl cover, because there was no time left and the customer didn't want to wait that long.
So the wooden housing was simply stained black and painted with clear varnish:

100_1775.jpg

Last edited:
Plus prior he was the designer at Kitty Hawk in the mid 80s, who made some cool pre-amps…like first Winger/Reb Beach come to mind and were prior the Dumble importer for Europe and the first Dumble clone.
Not entirely correct.
My time at Kitty Hawk was from 1988 to 1991 and from my hands/brain came the Quattro and Testarossa preamps.
Only the design of the electronic circuits, but not the names 😊

A later preamp from Kitty Hawk (1993) called 'Dino' didn't come from my hands, the Roy brothers had simply adapted the name from my own preamps of the time 🤷‍♂️

PRS dropped the MT 100 last year. I haven't played one, but I have heard good things, and it's affordable.

Feeding tube…THAT’S your story ??? You sucked on a “tube” alright…

I have a thing for weird, often "never seen one in the wild" high gain heads. Most recently I scored MLC Subzero 93 head, and not long after the KAOS Hatred single channel prototype from Diezelduder. Now I have another rarity in my sights that I might get for such a crazy good price that I just can't pass it up. I wanted to get another Marshall mod done, but the the modder is waffling so that can wait. Really should sell off a bunch of "meh" heads, but I just don't have time to ship with any expediency. So the numbers just keep stacking up like terrorists prisoners at Abu Ghraib...I even bought head covers for them to complete the look for a prospective photo shoot.
When you text me a weird amp I’m always saying buy it

Prices. Presence. Clanky Ovetones.

That's the rage now 😳😮‍💨😮‍💨😮‍💨

Back