The 5150 is a one trick pony?

• Thread starter Thread starter Holy-diver
  • Start date Start date
Some guys just make them work really well like the guitarist for Pagan's Mind and Hevy Devy.

It just seems like this is the view of a lot of people and i want to know where they are gettin it from. The 5150 i had did a lot of tones and did them well.

I got great rock and metal out of my 5150's....
Dont play clean....so never bothered. ;)

i was able to get a lot of different rock tones out of mine, the cleans are a lot better than most people seem to give them credit for, and of course it can do the brootz. it seems to catch a lot of flak for some reason.

Because they're the #1 go-to amp for metal tones, people assume that that is all they can do.
Just like how everyone assumes that if you use a Dual Rec, you'll magically turn into Limp Bizkit.

For the price they are a GREAT AMP! :rock:
I grabbed a used one for $475 shipped couple years back.
It was beat to shit....but sounded great! :thumbsup:

Digital Jams":30dxc78u said:
Some guys just make them work really well like the guitarist for Pagan's Mind and Hevy Devy.
The scary thing - Jorn Viggo just plugs into a stock one (5150II) and requires the 5150 (or 6505) cabs. And his EBMM EVH and hios Axis are stock.. as is his Les Paul.

Holy-diver":2y53nutx said:
It just seems like this is the view of a lot of people and i want to know where they are gettin it from. The 5150 i had did a lot of tones and did them well.
They come from the same club as the Uberschall and Recto haters.

:lol: :LOL:

it is a shame really. 5150s and rectos get lumped into this big assumption landfill based on shitty bands who used them while the truth is, i have heard a variety of great tones from both amps.

I dunno man the cleans on the 5150 might be the worst I have ever heard. Power amp crossover distortion doesn't do clean well as the waveform is still distorting even on the clean channel at the crossover points.

moltenmetalburn":2r8kwt3h said:
I dunno man the cleans on the 5150 might be the worst I have ever heard. Power amp crossover distortion doesn't do clean well as the waveform is still distorting even on the clean channel at the crossover points.
Bias mod will be the best $$ money spent on a 5150.

moltenmetalburn":1v5mpj7x said:

I don't think that anyone ever said that it could really pull off cleans...
Just that it can do all different kinds of dirty.

And really...who gives that much of a shit about cleans, anyway.
This is Rig Talk, not Jazz Anonymous.

Death by Uberschall":1v5mpj7x said:

Agreed. It's a damn effective way to spend $15 on parts and 1/2 hour of soldering.
REALLY opens the amp up, even at apartment volumes.

moltenmetalburn":2eob4043 said:
*bias mod
it remedies the cleans in a HUGE way.

Wayniac":yw32oqp3 said:
Digital Jams":yw32oqp3 said:
The scary thing - Jorn Viggo just plugs into a stock one (5150II) and requires the 5150 (or 6505) cabs. And his EBMM EVH and hios Axis are stock.. as is his Les Paul.

That is scary, he gets outstanding tone!

Digital Jams":cja0nd9d said:
Wayniac":cja0nd9d said:
Digital Jams":cja0nd9d said:

That is scary, he gets outstanding tone!
He gets that same tone from rentals !! lol
I have worked with them a half dozen or so times at Progpower, and did their US tour last year.

Death by Uberschall":jgkw98ax said:
moltenmetalburn":jgkw98ax said:

I wholeheartedly agree but then the vibe that attracts most people to the dirty side of the amp is gone.

I firmly believe its the crossover that has people saying things like " no other amp has that 5150 grind that is perfect for metal." I personally never found anything special about it than the crossover its biased in.

Sixtonoize":2md8cuq2 said:
moltenmetalburn":2md8cuq2 said:

I don't think that anyone ever said that it could really pull off cleans...
Just that it can do all different kinds of dirty.

"the cleans are a lot better than most people seem to give them credit for"

Seven posts above mine.

And really...who gives that much of a shit about cleans, anyway.
This is Rig Talk, not Jazz Anonymous.

There are many people here who play clean, Jazz included. :confused:
Death by Uberschall":2md8cuq2 said:

Agreed. It's a damn effective way to spend $15 on parts and 1/2 hour of soldering.
REALLY opens the amp up, even at apartment volumes.

+1 I would never play one without it.

Holy-diver":3ubtztyp said:

I think the 5150 is a great amp for metal, but you're kidding yourself if you want to say that a stock 5150 is a versatile amp. Just because you can get different colors of GGRRRRRRRRRRRRR out of an amp doesn't make it versatile.

I've owned tube amps that could play a country gig, metal gig, 80s gig and even jazz gig without breaking a sweat. The 5150 won't do that - everything has that edge to it.

I'm not dissing the amp, but they are pretty much metal machines stock. Now, if you want to bias mod it the amp gets better, but loses the crossover distortion and becomes a better clean but a more generic metal amp. Hey, if I could grab one cheap right now, I would... and I'd play hard rock and metal with it.
Pete

6505 + is my favorite amp of all . I hate the bitching about the clean because 5150/6505's do not have a clean channel. You can get tons of other gritty rock tones and several types of hard rock tones also.

Back