The 5150 is a one trick pony?

• Thread starter Thread starter Holy-diver
  • Start date Start date
Holy-diver":1luzo94y said:
An ecstasy is 2000 more.... :confused:

You asked for a versatile amp, I named one. What's the problem? I've seen used Ecstasys for just over two grand lately... a hell of a bargain, IMHO. I have a lot of amps (look at my sig) and the Ecstasy will be one of the last amps I sell. It just does too many things great to part with.

Pete

I think that for the money it is very versatile, as in it can deliver good tones for a good number of genres. I challeng anyone to find an amp around 500 that is as versatile with good tones as the 5150.

Holy-diver":ij0tqpdo said:
The jvm is a weak shell of a marshall. Marshall had far better clean.

Many said the same thing about the Mark V being a shell of what the series once was. :lol: :LOL:

Wayniac":3tq1gbjk said:
He gets that same tone from rentals !! lol
I have worked with them a half dozen or so times at Progpower, and did their US tour last year.

The true mark of a good player/performer imo. :thumbsup:

Holy-diver":1p2fm46s said:
I think that for the money it is very versatile, as in it can deliver good tones for a good number of genres. I challeng anyone to find an amp around 500 that is as versatile with good tones as the 5150.

It's not versatile! Name a non rock or metal album that used a stock 5150. The 5150 guys like to go on about how the 5150 is used on so many metal albums - great! Awesome! That doesn't mean it's versatile.

By all means, edumacate us on all the genres it delivers good tone on. BTW, you can only use metal once or rock once in your genres.

BTW, where can I find a 5150 for $500?

Pete

There are 5150s in my cl all the time for around 500.
And obviously there isn't going to be a great deal of jazz and blues recorded using a 5150 because they would rather use an amp devoted and voiced specifically to that genre (ie the amps they use can't do hard rock and metal) But you can't sit there and tell me that if a normal guitarist wants tones ranging from dirty blues and low gain up to extreme metal for 500 that a 5150 is a bad choice. Again I see my challenge was ignored.

~Abstract~":19e6vm9r said:
stratotone":19e6vm9r said:
BTW, where can I find a 5150 for $500?

Pete

Interested...

I looked on ebay real quick, ranged from 510 to 900. *!* looks like around 6ish is a more average price, still a good deal for a great metal/hard rock amp that is not versatile :)

Holy-diver":1dfvzfrg said:
There are 5150s in my cl all the time for around 500.
And obviously there isn't going to be a great deal of jazz and blues recorded using a 5150 because they would rather use an amp devoted and voiced specifically to that genre (ie the amps they use can't do hard rock and metal) But you can't sit there and tell me that if a normal guitarist wants tones ranging from dirty blues and low gain up to extreme metal for 500 that a 5150 is a bad choice. Again I see my challenge was ignored.

Your challenge was invalid because the amp is not versatile! You mention dirty blues? Ok, name a major blues album that was recorded with 5150s.

What's your blues name, Howlin' DeathMetal Cletus?

Are you fucking with me? This isn't about what albums were recorded with one, it is about the tones POSSIBLE. The same argument could be made with your ecstasy, how many black and death metal albums have been recorded with one? Pointless.

stratotone":29hjtm13 said:
What's your blues name, Howlin' DeathMetal Cletus?

I think I heard a couple of his clips......
not too bad. :lol: :LOL:

I scored a beat to crap one a year or so back for $475 shipped.......
nice amp!

I did get some pretty good blues licks on it! :lol: :LOL:

Just messing with ya Petey! ;)

~Abstract~":sm1ruw30 said:
Mailman1971":sm1ruw30 said:
I scored a beat to crap one a year or so back for $475 shipped.......
nice amp!

sold! :rock:
Hell yeah! I remember...it was a late Sunday night......
I wandered in to check on 'new listings'........there it was!
BUY IT NOW was hit and no questions asked! :rock:

Holy-diver":3gqqluqf said:
Are you fucking with me? This isn't about what albums were recorded with one, it is about the tones POSSIBLE. The same argument could be made with your ecstasy, how many black and death metal albums have been recorded with one? Pointless.

Never compared the ecstasy's metal pedigree with the 5150, the 5150 would be better for extreme death/black/corpseskullfuck metal. But it's not versatile - if the 5150 tones for 'dirty blues' were that good, they would use them on albums. You were the one that said it was good for 'dirty blues' and if it was that good for it, people would be using them on albums.

Just because it has a gain control that can be used to have a little less GRRRRRR in the tone doesn't make it a versatile amp.

Pete

Then I guess the ecstasy isn't very versatile because it can't do corpse skullfuck metal, by your rules :D
I know you have an epeen the size of texas, but you are exhibiting grade a internet heresay. The 5150 CAN do lower gain tones. it CAN have a good clean, its just not what 11,000 13 year olds play on it in guitar center. It wasn't even DESIGNED for brootz for fucks sake :lol: :LOL:

Holy-diver":3gbs35ak said:
Then I guess the ecstasy isn't very versatile because it can't do corpse skullfuck metal, by your rules :D
I know you have an epeen the size of texas, but you are exhibiting grade a internet heresay. The 5150 CAN do lower gain tones. it CAN have a good clean, its just not what 11,000 13 year olds play on it in guitar center. It wasn't even DESIGNED for brootz for fucks sake :lol: :LOL:

Epeen? No hearsay here, I've owned and gigged all the amps in the thread. Have you?

Back