The 5150 is a one trick pony?

• Thread starter Thread starter Holy-diver
  • Start date Start date
No I sure as hell haven't. I have owned a fair bit of amps, but nothing compared to you I'm sure. I will be sticking by my opinion as well. If you can't get more than rock or metal out of a 5150, you aren't a very good guitarist.

Holy-diver":3o19lqs0 said:
No I sure as hell haven't. I have owned a fair bit of amps, but nothing compared to you I'm sure. I will be sticking by my opinion as well. If you can't get more than rock or metal out of a 5150, you aren't a very good guitarist.
Point taken. When I bought my 1st 5150 (owned 3 of them) I only wanted it for rock and metal. It did everything I wanted nicely. I dont bounce from Conway Twitty then to Canibal Corpse. Play mostly metal and rock and the amp was fine for what I needed. Was it versatile? To me....yes it was. But for someone doing Barry Manilow Jingles to Slayer....probably not. ;)
I got great use out of it. But I play with blinders on. Rock/metal....DONE! :lol: :LOL:

Holy-diver":qxnmlbbf said:

Again, if it's such a great amp for other genres why aren't recording artists using it as such? I like how you're playing the 'good guitarist' card here... by all means, put up or shut up. This means post some of *your* badass clips using the 5150 for other genres. There's something about cashing the checks you write with your own ass, so please, no stand ins or posted clips from others - let's hear YOU prove the point.

Pete

Mailman1971":2m8yn0bm said:
Holy-diver":2m8yn0bm said:
Point taken. When I bought my 1st 5150 (owned 3 of them) I only wanted it for rock and metal. It did everything I wanted nicely. I dont bounce from Conway Twitty then to Canibal Corpse. Play mostly metal and rock and the amp was fine for what I needed. Was it versatile? To me....yes it was. But for someone doing Barry Manilow Jingles to Slayer....probably not. ;)
I got great use out of it. But I play with blinders on. Rock/metal....DONE! :lol: :LOL:

I still think the 5150 is a great amp for rock or metal.

stratotone":3crtdxsx said:
Holy-diver":3crtdxsx said:

Again, if it's such a great amp for other genres why aren't recording artists using it as such? I like how you're playing the 'good guitarist' card here... by all means, put up or shut up. This means post some of *your* badass clips using the 5150 for other genres. There's something about cashing the checks you write with your own ass, so please, no stand ins or posted clips from others - let's hear YOU prove the point.

Pete
WEll it wont be me playing.....cause I suck! :yes:
Besides........sold them long ago.
But you may here some crappy Diezel HERBERT clips coming up in the next week or so... :D
stratotone":3crtdxsx said:
Mailman1971":3crtdxsx said:
Holy-diver":3crtdxsx said:

I know....just having fun here Pete.
We both know the SLO kills it! ;)

Dammit........here comes the Soldano GAS!! :lol: :LOL:

Mailman1971":zt7ix33n said:
stratotone":zt7ix33n said:
Holy-diver":zt7ix33n said:

Pete
But you may here some crappy Diezel HERBERT clips coming up in the next week or so... :D
stratotone":zt7ix33n said:
Mailman1971":zt7ix33n said:
Holy-diver":zt7ix33n said:

I traded my SLO off last week. Waiting on a VHT UL to come in!!! :D

stratotone":1u1nif0g said:
Mailman1971":1u1nif0g said:
Holy-diver":1u1nif0g said:

Pete
Mailman1971":1u1nif0g said:
Holy-diver":1u1nif0g said:

I traded my SLO off last week. Waiting on a VHT UL to come in!!! :D
My Herbert literally got here......5 minutes ago!
Time for MAYHEM!!!!!! :rock:

I don't know where I said the 5150 was superb at every genre imaginable, but I do believe that a single coil through the crunchsetting with the pre amp set low can do some pretty good blues if an adequate blues player was playing. My blues chops are not in any way superb, nor was I insinuating that I am some kind of guitar god. I can, however, use the amp and guitar in such a way that a decent blues tone is there. Therefore, I believe a good blues player could makesome good tones come out of there. I don't k now why you are trying to make me look stupid or like I am just a fanboy (I sold my 5150) or why you made that thread but I was under the impression that we were having a discussion, not a pissing contest or epeen display.

I don't know how people can say a 5150 has a good clean or can get a good clean.. It is so dull and lifeless. It doesn't even have a clean channel. It wasn't even built for that.

Holy-diver":lnzvn9gw said:
Jason, the bias mod is a requirement imo.

then its no longer a 5150 in the sense that the "vibe" of that amp is gone. No crossover no extra crunch n grind. you would then be far better served by many other amps.

jasonP":ihzfnerh said:
I don't know how people can say a 5150 has a good clean or can get a good clean.. It is so dull and lifeless. It doesn't even have a clean channel. It wasn't even built for that.

+1 They should have just left the clean channel out and charged less money.

moltenmetalburn":4qswvzco said:
Holy-diver":4qswvzco said:

then its no longer a 5150 in the sense that the "vibe" of that amp is gone. No crossover no extra crunch n grind. you would then be far better served by many other amps.

A lot of people would disagree with you.

Pete....not dirty blues but Steve Stevens used one for both Bozzio, Levin, Stevens albums.

This one has more in front guitars.

Steve Morse for the longest time also used one but overall I agree with what your saying.

moltenmetalburn":2y87oz4t said:
Holy-diver":2y87oz4t said:

bullshit

a bias modded 5150 still sounds like a 5150

have you ever played both?!

Eddie played them, and never was really a high gain player. I think he coaxed some nice lo gain tones out of them.

Back