The Definitive Yngwie Malmsteen Strat Thread, Pix & Video

• Thread starter Thread starter Brandon Breeze
  • Start date Start date
Yngwie was my 1st concert! He opened for ACDC, maybe 1986.
After reading this thread with all those strats.
I think I need one :)
Man, I couldn't have imagined seeing him back then! He was still fantastic when I saw him last year!
He opened for AC/DC here in October '85 . It was my 3rd time seeing Yngwie that year and he was great but Angus let him know who was boss :D

Hi Brandon,

Just wondering if you are able to help me confirm my Made in Japan YJM is official. Serial is JD23024427. Bought from reverb.
Join the Yngwie Malmsteen Guitar Enthusiasts Group on FB!

Warning! Be prepared for information overload lol. Pic HEAVY

Needless to say I'm a fan of Yngwie, and have been since the 90's when a friend of the family handed me a copy cassette tape of some Yngwie songs.

I was surprised to find that there are many different YJM Strats

The purpose of this thread is to try to help others that run into the same confusing things that I did when it comes to the Yngwie strats.

I met the Maestro and got to talk guitars & gear with him!

USA SCHECTER 1986:
Part #:
YM-1
Body Material/Finish: Ash 2 piece
Neck: Maple with Indian Rosewood Board 22 Jumbo Frets, small 50's style headstock
Scallops: U shape similar to Fender US Version 1
Tuners/String Tree: Schecter tuners. Lile a hybrid of a Gotoh and Schaller, with the added bonus of staggered pole pieces
Truss Rod/Nut: Access at the base, plastic nut
Pickups/Pickup Selector: Schecter/Tom Anderson single coils, 5 Way Selector
Pickguard/Back Plate: Single Ply 11 hole
Bridge: Schecter(possibly Wilkinson)
Pots:
Serial # Location:
Neck Plate
Weight: 9lb10oz
Color:
Transparent White
Unique Features: No string tree, 22 frets, bass control knob, no skunk stripe

USA Fender Yngwie Models:

There are 4 different US Made Production Yngwie Models. All US versions have 4 bolt necks. There's also the Custom Shop 30th Anniversary and "Play Loud" replica.

1st US Version 1988-1997:
Part #'s: 10-7702 maple, 10-7700 rosewood
Body Material/Finish: Alder, poly finish body, nitro finish neck
Neck: Maple or Maple w/Rosewood board. The earlier years have much thinner necks. Smaller 50's style head stock/logos,9.5" Radius, larger C shape
Scallops/Frets: Most shallow, evenly curved scallops, small frets(makes scallops seem even smaller)
Tuners/String Trees: DiMarzio(1988) Kluson 1989+, Single Roller Tree
Truss Rod/Nut: Walnut plug, access at bottom, Brass Nut
Pickups/Pickup Selector: HS-3/American Standard/HS-3(DP117), US 5 Way Selector
Pickguard/Back Plate: White 3 Ply, White 3 ply single large hole
Pots: CTS, and TBX(treble bass expander) tone control, mix of modern and cloth wiring
Bridge: American Deluxe 2 point floating tremolo with stainless saddles
Serial # Location: Back of head stock, all the way to the left on the wing
Weight: 8lb 1oz
Colors: Sonic Blue 72, Vintage white 41, Candy Apple Red 09
Unique Feature(s): 2 point trem, roller string tree, 5 way switch, small head stock. No have a skunk stripe w/Rosewood board

This is basically a hybrid of a 50's Strat with modern appointments & Scalloped fret board. High quality control

2nd US Version 1998-2006:
Body Material/Finish: Alder, poly finish body, nitro finish neck
Neck: Large head stock, Large 70's logos, and thinner 70's profile, 9.5" radius
Scallops/Frets: Deeper scallops than 1st Version, these get deeper much quicker, but kinda flatten out, Jumbo Frets
Tuners/String Trees: Fender F Tuners, Single String Tree
Truss Rod/Nut: Walnut plug at head stock with access
Pickups/Pickup Selector: HS-3/HS-4/HS-4, 3-Way US Pickup Selector. Small logo(98-01'), larger logos later(02-06')
Pickguard/Back Plate: Mint Green 3 ply, single large hole on back plate
Pots: CTS tone pots, mix of cloth and modern wiring, no load tone pot on lower tone control
Bridge: 6 point traditional US steel block
Serial # Location: back of head stock towards the top in the center of the round portion
Weight: 7lb9oz maple board, 7lb10oz rosewood board
Colors: Vintage White, Candy Apple Red, Sonic Blue
Unique Feature(s): Walnut plug w/access from the head stock, Mint pick guard.

Lowest quality control I've seen, from off center head stock logos, to nitro partially on frets, I've seen a few with paint just cracking, and even falling off in sheets.
Rosewood Board

Maple board:

3rd/4th US Version 2007-Present:
Based on extremely early 1970's Strats
Body Material/Finish: Alder, poly body finish, nitro on neck
Neck: Large CBS Head stock, 70's slim profile, Machine screws for the neck, with anchors in the neck
Scallops/Frets: Much deeper scallops than US version 2(07-10') but are evenly curved, Deepest Scallops(11'-present) these are similar to US Version 2 in that they go deep really quick and flatten out, but are extremely deep
Tuners/String Trees: Fender F tuners, 1 string tree
Truss Rod/Nut: Bullet Truss Rod, Brass Nut
Pickups/Pickup Selector: DiMarzio HS-3 & HS-4/YJM(07-10')or Seymour Duncan YJM Fury Pickups 11'-present, 3 Way US selector
Pickguard/Back Plate: 3 ply white pick guard, 3 ply white(07-11') 6 hole back plate, single ply white 6 hole back plate 11'+, 2016+ has "aged" knobs that are more yellow
Pots: modern & cloth wiring, CTS pots, no load tone pot on lower tone control
Bridge: Traditional US with steel block and stamped saddles
Serial # Location: Back of Head stock towards the center
Weight: 7lb 14oz
Colors: Vintage White with Maple or Rosewood Board. I do not see any other colors available according to every source I can find. If you have one it may be a partscaster.
Unique Feature(s): Only white available, bullet truss rod.

Some of the early models(07-10') had terrible brass nuts that were high and poorly shaped
Later years have flush mount strap lock buttons 11'+
This is the version Yngwie mostly plays today
Here's the 2007:

Here's my 2014

Fender Custom Shop Yngwie Malmsteen Tribute "Play Loud" Strat
Made as exacting replicas to Yngwie's favorite guitar aka "The Duck" only 100 made
Alder Body, maple neck and board
60's profile neck
CBS Head stock
DiMarzio HS-3 neck/bridge, standard 70's era middle pickup
Machine neck screws with anchors
3 way US switch

Fender 30th Anniversary & Custom Shop
For only $5,500+ you too can own one of these!
Duncan YJM pickups
Maple cap neck with anchors
No bullet, no truss rod access at head stock
No skunk stripe
Available in vintage white, candy apple red, sonic blue, and burgundy mist colors
Modeled after 68-69' Strats
Otherwise the same as the latest US YJM with higher quality woods

COLORS!!!

Pickup Info:
Very early on Yngwie used DiMarzio FS1, HS-1's & HS-2's
DiMarzio HS-3/DP117 was used for a very long time
DiMarzio HS-4/DP217 came later and was also known as DiMarzio YJM pickups
Seymour Duncan Fury YJM's are what he uses today

These pickups sound pretty similar to each other, but as Yngwie always says "More is more!" so, while having somewhat similar voicing, they increase in output with each new model. if you dial back the volume you can get quite a bit of traditional Strat sounds.
Here's a comparison of the HS-3 and Duncan YJM

Loaded Pickguards:
If you pick one of the aftermarketpickguards up it'll have a 5 way switch, and even the Official Duncan loaded pick guards do not come with the no load tone pot with bypass. If you buy one with DiMarzio's they don't have the DiMarzio logo's, and most use springs instead of surgical tubing

Info About Scallop Depths:
US Version 1 evenly shaped shallow scallops
US Version 2 deeper scallops with a different shape, goes deep quickly then flattens out
US Version 3 evenly shaped deep scallops, like version 1 just deeper
US Version 4 deepest scallops similar to version 2, but deeper
MIJ 57/62/71/72 evenly shaped scallops like US V1, but have Jumbo Frets, so they seem deeper
MIJ 68 depth similar to US V1, but more of a v shape, especially the upper frets
MIJ "Standard" Export, terrible scallops, not deep, has ledges on most frets, vintage frets. Kinda defeats the purpose

Feel free to add info, or correct me if I missed something, so I can make this the most useful thread possible. I found this info all over the net, compiled a lot myself from my own personal Yngwie guitars, Official Fender Frontline magazines, Fender Advertisements, Fender Twang Catalogs from Japan, collaboration with other YJM Strat Enthusiasts like Antonio Calvosa who put together a ton of info about Yngwie strats on fuzzfaced.net & pickroar.com on the "New vs. Old" & "Identifying an Yngwie Strat" Threads by Gray

Hi Brandon,

Just wondering if you are able to help me confirm my Made in Japan YJM is official. Serial is JD23024427. Bought from reverb.

Sorry if I've missed anything above... I can share photos if needed.

Hi Brandon,

Hi Brandon,

Sorry if I've missed anything above... I can share photos if needed.
I'm not aware of a database for the new MIJ YJM Strats. Sharing pictures would be the easiest way to identify. So far I haven't seen any counterfeit YJM Strats. Share some pictures!

Back