The heaviest riff from The Black Album

• Thread starter Thread starter Tone Monster
  • Start date Start date
Sounds great! Raffle for Hell Razor for me WHEN?!

Also what particular guitar is that? And what is that thing
Thx! 😂😂😂

Custom ESP. 23 years old. Custom camo pattern and inlays. Not the same stylistic choices I’d make today lol, but she’s my baby and plays like a dream.

Thx! 😂😂😂

Custom ESP. 23 years old. Custom camo pattern and inlays. Not the same stylistic choices I’d make today lol, but she’s my baby and plays like a dream.
Do you have a thread about ir and more pictures details? Looks very intersting.

And what about that string dampening thingy?

Do you have a thread about ir and more pictures details? Looks very intersting.

And what about that string dampening thingy?
No extra info. Basically Hetfield specs (fanboi!). 18V mod for EmGs. Jimmy clips for string noise reduction for recording.

sad but true still sounds "modern" to a large degree. like modern as in tight ass low end, big eq curves, thicc, etc. not like axe fx / kemper modern. no offense digital boys.
Not a lot of shit from that era aged as good as that song and tone did. its a banger, no doubt.
That album ushered in modern metal imo. I have no problem with the Black album.

Through the never and Struggle will melt your forearm.
Maybe from boredom.... Neither really go anywhere, and ride one riff to death instead of developing.

Edit: unless you meant technique-wise. To which I say technique doesn't affect whether it's bro rock or whatever. Same as widdly-widdlies don't automatically make a song great. But yeah, Hetfield's forearm is impressive.

sad but true still sounds "modern" to a large degree. like modern as in tight ass low end, big eq curves, thicc, etc. not like axe fx / kemper modern. no offense digital boys.
Not a lot of shit from that era aged as good as that song and tone did. its a banger, no doubt.

It's so fucking good. That tuning worked so well for the riff. When people say brutal, you hear more extreme tones and riffs. But when you want the Webster Dictionary version of fucking HEAVY... The riffs in that song especially the main is what I think of. It never gets old. Everytime I hear that riff at volume through good speakers it's automatic stank-face.

It's a sledge hammer of a riff. And it has nuances. You have to play it a certain way to make it sound exactly like that down to palm muting pressure and lifting the left index to stop the notes at the exact moment.

My biggest regret is that I didn't come up with it first. I will live and die by that riff. People just don't write like that anymore.

And this is part of why Hetfield is my #1 inspiration and in my opinion the greatest rhythm front man of all time.

And when they drop back into it after the interlude. Shit pumps me up everytime.

HATE!!! IM YOUR HATE!!
IM YOUR HATE WHEN YOU WANT LOOOOVE
💀

Maybe from boredom.... Neither really go anywhere, and ride one riff to death instead of developing.

Edit: unless you meant technique-wise. To which I say technique doesn't affect whether it's bro rock or whatever. Same as widdly-widdlies don't automatically make a song great. But yeah, Hetfield's forearm is impressive.
I don’t think we’d have a beer together. And you know what, that’s ok.

More like ushered in the hard rock phase of Metallica that persists today… nothing about it that I’d call metal.
people act like the word "metal" is like a quality control phrase or something.

it can still be classified as metal even if the gatekeepers don't like it. You wouldn't consider the black album to be a "metal" album? c'mon...

people act like the word "metal" is like a quality control phrase or something.

it can still be classified as metal even if the gatekeepers don't like it. You wouldn't consider the black album to be a "metal" album? c'mon...

Not gate keeping. I like Metallica, and God that Failed is probably one of my favorites of all their stuff, but they really can’t be called a metal band these days, more radio friendly hard rock. Nothing wrong with that. To me, as I said, the Black Album ushered that in.

Yes, Black was more hard rock than metal. Metallica was considered a metal band, maybe THE metal band, at the time. So they exposed their music to a whole bunch more people and yes, it was radio friendly. In doing so they sold themselves out but also became one of the biggest metal and/or hard rock bands in the world. But the Black album used a lot of tones/tricks/production elements that ushered in modern metal. IMO.

On the selling out part - if they had stuck to their Thrash roots and not expanded their music in the way they did, they certainly would not have been as popular. That 'could' mean things like - not being headliner, not having the cash, not being invited to play shows they otherwise would not have, not have #1 songs, etc etc. I love Thrash but I can see how it could get old. They've said that themselves about growing. Would they have just died out otherwise?

Not gate keeping. I like Metallica, and God that Failed is probably one of my favorites of all their stuff, but they really can’t be called a metal band these days, more radio friendly hard rock. Nothing wrong with that. To me, as I said, the Black Album ushered that in.
Aren’t we talking about pop rock band Metallica? I heard the old Metallica members all died of old age and somewhere after 1992 some cover band bought the rights for trademark name and proceeded from there on 😁

Back