Tom Morello sucks in a big way...

• Thread starter Thread starter Code001
  • Start date Start date
Code001
Code001
The dude is awful. He even said himself that he can't solo.

SgtThump":13d22 said:
... and I'm ashamed of you guys that are praising him in this thread.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1374784

What a tool that guy is. Yeah, he sure is "creative" when he plays a single note solo and rocks back and forth on a whammy pedal. Oh boy. :roll:

you ever tried to "play" turntables dj style? kay, now try and get that same sound on a guitar and do it better than most dj's.
you know, people said the same shit about hendrix at one point in time. "all he does is make a buncha fukken noise!"

look where that got us.

Tom Morello has never done anything for me. I respect the amount of comercial success he's had over the course of his career, but I don't like his playing or the tones he works with.
/Kirk Hammet laughs at Tom Morello.

Oblivion DC":ffafc said:
Tom Morello has never done anything for me. I respect the amount of comercial success he's had over the course of his career, but I don't like his playing or the tones he works with.
/Kirk Hammet laughs at Tom Morello.

hammett never did much for me but metallica is my second fave band ever...well, early metallica.
i just never liked his leads much. morello isn't one of my ultimate faves either but to say the dude is awful or he can't solo so he sucks is just...eh whatever, say what you guys want.

SgtThump":d966e said:

What a tool that guy is. Yeah, he sure is "creative" when he plays a single note solo and rocks back and forth on a whammy pedal. Oh boy. :roll:

morello has a unique style and puts on a great show with lots of energy. you may not like his style, the most instantly recognizable in modern rock, but he's no tool.

I'm no huge rage fanboy or anything but it totally baffles me that people sling shit at tom morello's ability, have any of you even heard the first rage album all the way through? Might sound gimmicky to a seasoned player after what he's doing is explained to him, but who the fuck was pulling shit out of a guitar like that other than him? He does a hell of a lot with what he has, and it's very interesting.

He's a good player, and has harnessed effects better than I have ever heard.

On Rage's first album it was mostly just wah that he used and the solos were the fairly generic, high gain, blues scale, type.

I guess he didn't like it so he started experimenting with effects.

I don't realy like what he has done with the solos for AudioSlave but I like the songs they have. His stuff with Rage just sounded cool.

Musicaly brilliant? No.
Kick ass weird sounds? Yes.

That's my £0.0106037.

He sucks.

I'd love to hear Chris Cornell sing in a band
with George Lynch, Geezer Butler and Neil Peart!!!

Yeah well he rocked hard on the first 2 RATM albums and after that I can't listen to anything he does. But the first 2 albums were fantastic.

redrol":2ab85 said:
Yeah well he rocked hard on the first 2 RATM albums and after that I can't listen to anything he does. But the first 2 albums were fantastic.

battle of los angeles is good too. i think that if i concentrated hard enough, i could listen to calm like a bomb and make objects catch fire.

I like his rhythm skills and some of his grooves. i think that he playes in the pocket very well. That said, when he playes a solo, it sounds as if 4 of his fingers are broken. I think that he should stick to rhythm playing and I also don't dig his use of effects in place of solos. Adrian belew and robert fripp did that years ago and I didn't dig it then.

j666":f16f0 said:

hammett never did much for me but metallica is my second fave band ever...well, early metallica.
i just never liked his leads much. morello isn't one of my ultimate faves either but to say the dude is awful or he can't solo so he sucks is just...eh whatever, say what you guys want.

+1 on the early Metallica man!! Some of Hammett's early leads were really cool - but my understanding is that a lot of his early stuff was lifted from what Mustaine had already done. Not too sure if that's true or not but it really soured me on his playing for a long time, also I have to say that his vibrato sets my teeth on edge.

Now my feeling on Morello isn't so much that he sucks - I just don't really dig his style. His tones don't do anything for me and it's not like he's breaking any new ground technique-wise, unlike say Les Claypool, another much lauded musician who's style also doesn't get me going - however Claypool's technique is mindblowing. Nothing but respect there.

redrol":7e839 said:

+10000

Oblivion DC":36bc8 said:

+1 on the early Metallica man!! Some of Hammett's early leads were really cool - but my understanding is that a lot of his early stuff was lifted from what Mustaine had already done. Not too sure if that's true or not but it really soured me on his playing for a long time, also I have to say that his vibrato sets my teeth on edge.

Now my feeling on Morello isn't so much that he sucks - I just don't really dig his style. His tones don't do anything for me and it's not like he's breaking any new ground technique-wise, unlike say Les Claypool, another much lauded musician who's style also doesn't get me going - however Claypool's technique is mindblowing. Nothing but respect there.

have you ever seen the contortions he pulls to do all the "wiki-wiki" parts? amazing. and it's great technique, not in a classical or orthodox sense, but great nonetheless.
there's alot of ratm songs i don't like. i'm not a huge ratm fan...in fact, i like primus more than ratm. but i also hate country music with all my heart and when someone sat me down and made me listen to some of the licks...well, let's just say this...just cuz you hate it, doesn't mean they suck.

No offense Thump but you're old and have shitty taste. :lol:

Im kidding. Its all relative. Listen to the new Audioslave for some great guitar solo's...

SgtThump":bdd87 said:

Hey that's my thread. I think Morello has more funky riffs up his sleeve than he knows what to do with, more than anyone here. He doesn't do that whammy stuff on every solo anyway. Have you ever heard the solo to Know Your Enemy? Listen to that solo and tell me he sucks! Or listen to the second song on the new CD, he can shred as good as anyone here.

And if he sucks in a big way why was he able to get the best singer in rock to join his band? If you just hear the typical stuff on the radio from RAGE and you hear 2 or 3 songs with whammy or scratchy solo noises than i can see why you might think he sucks but he lays down some good solos on almost every record and he has done some shred solos here and there.

There were a few years where i wasn't a fan of him. But what won me over is how he said he was like a little kid watching his guitar idol at G3, Steve Vai. He said he was soo blown away, humbled, and energized to pick up his guitar and practice. What's to hate about that? I can see why some will hate him because i think his band also had something to do with killing of all the Gay LA sleaze rock.

Telephant":1df73 said:
No offense Thump but you're old and have shitty taste. :lol:

Im kidding. Its all relative. Listen to the new Audioslave for some great guitar solo's...

i love the solo on sound of a gun.

good album btw.

I remeber reading an interview with Zakk Wylde and he reckoned the only 3 true soloists who weren't about total shred were Dime, Tom Morello and himself.

Back