ToneX

• Thread starter Thread starter 311splawndude
  • Start date Start date
I’m still loving the Kemper. I think it’s the perfect happy medium for digital stuff. It’s versatile but has way less menu diving than an axe fx. It’s a bit more expensive than a Tonex but the Kemper catalogue of profiles is just massive and at this point is time tested.
I only use it for recording, but it’s a perfect tool for that imo
i'm a broken record with this, but I'll say it again - I love my Kemper, it's a tool. Just like any tool in your garage, it has applications that it excels at, and it has shortcomings in other applications. I use my Tonex One the same way, it's on my big board as an overdrive\boost right now, but in a jam I can go straight to the house with it or if i'm on a silent stage or scenario where stage volume is an issue, can go straight to the board.

zZounds sent me the ToneX pedal but I haven't opened it yet. I do like what I hear in demos. I likely won't try to do any captures but I do want to pull down some from the cloud in addition to what it ships with just to see. Going to use it with my pedal board into an amp and then maybe direct

^ I'm done with Desktops. Glad to know I probably won't need to upgrade :lol:

I love my HP Pavilion 2-1 (use as a tablet too, although heavy for a tablet). Touch screen, back lit keyboard, 2 Tb SST drive.

These specs are pretty weak in comparison to what's out now.

Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.6 GB usable)
Product ID 00325-82157-09880-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points

PS: Thanks again
I haven't had a desktop in like 15 years. I can't move that old laptop because the plug is jammed up inside it, so it basically is a desktop, lol.

I have a newer i7 2n1 I use for daily use.

Wanted to add. I can show you a comparison from someone who isn't a professional producer (me)

Here is a mix of riffs from some songs using cheap vsts

And here is essentially the same project with tonex amps.....I did however drastically cut a lot of mids on a master eq. It's not really a true comparison with that EQ cut but I do think Tonex makes it sound slightly better.

Wanted to add. I can show you a comparison from someone who isn't a professional producer (me)

And here is essentially the same project with tonex amps.....I did however drastically cut a lot of mids on a master eq. It's not really a true comparison with that EQ cut but I do think Tonex makes it sound slightly better.

That sounds awesome. Both clips. The first is good because it has a more in-room - live sound. Good stuff man :yes: The second clip is better in the sense that it is tighter and more 'produced'. Thanks for sharing that. Love your tone bro @OldGtrGuy . :cheers:

I like the ToneX better. The other one has more of that flat fizzy/fuzzy thing going on many direct sounds have.

Yeah, it's definitely a little better out of the box (tonex) compared to other vst that I've tried. But I just wanted to make a point that these people in the YouTube videos really know what they're doing.

One of those videos is what sold me on it and clearly my tonex record doesn't sound anywhere near as good. There's a lot more to mixing or whatever but Tonex will help get you there.

I would take advantage of the $99 sale if you are interested in home recording.

I will. Thanks :cheers:

Bought it :cheers:
Seems like a lot for $99 :yes:
Have not tried yet :dunno:
Looking forward to it. :D

Special thanks: @Shask and @OldGtrGuy

I didn't download everything but there were others in that package like MixBox and T-Racks :dunno:

k5h5BUsl.jpg

XSxQwcR.jpg

lwofVdy.jpg

Yeah, there are tons of things I didn't download and install yet. I probably will after I buy a new computer.

ToneX Max, Amplitube 5 Max, and T-Racks 5 are the only things I actually installed so far.

Tonex mix for the win imo!!! Nice tones!

Tonex is great, the user interface is about the dumbest most confusing thing I’ve ever seen. Holy shit it’s dumb. Thats what stops me from using it all the time. Thinking about picking up @dead-pan ’s wizard pack though, GASin for a wizard bad. Dead, how many DI captures are in the pack?

Tonex is great, the user interface is about the dumbest most confusing thing I’ve ever seen. Holy shit it’s dumb. Thats what stops me from using it all the time. Thinking about picking up @dead-pan ’s wizard pack though, GASin for a wizard bad. Dead, how many DI captures are in the pack?
12 of the 36 have no cabinet.

Be sure to try them free in the Partner section of the app. I am all in with having the try before you buy ability by selling through IK's app.

For anyone that isn't use to the software, click ToneNET on the top right to get connected to the cloud then click on collections that is next to it. Then finally you will see Partners on the left where you can try all of the captures.

Last year I got PolyChromeDSP - McRoklin suite on sale when it was released; it was so good that I built a computer rig around it / for it, and some of my other plugins, but the majority of my patches are PolyChrome DSP...there have been a few updates since launch, that keep making it better.

I'm on my second, even more portable computer plugin rig (see more here: https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/computer-rig-2.316425/ )

McRocklin using PolyChromeDSP:

Another guitar plugin I think is worth a try is Blue Cat Audio's Axiom V2. Free demo version is available.

You can use the simple interface to create complete rigs and everything is controllable by MIDI, or go deep if you want to shape the tone of your preamp, amp, and cab. It also includes a catalog of stompbox and studio effects. Best of all it's also a plugin host, so if you have other plugins you can use them inside of Axiom, including other effects, amp, cab, IRs, etc.

Last edited:
12 of the 36 have no cabinet.

Be sure to try them free in the Partner section of the app. I am all in with having the try before you buy ability by selling through IK's app.

For anyone that isn't use to the software, click ToneNET on the top right to get connected to the cloud then click on collections that is next to it. Then finally you will see Partners on the left where you can try all of the captures.

That’s a big help thanks man. I can’t find a YouTube that does just a basic walk through of this system, it’s very unorthodox and confusing. Like, can I buy stomp packs from other vendors and then use them in front of, say, your packs/amps? It’s all very strange.

That’s a big help thanks man. I can’t find a YouTube that does just a basic walk through of this system, it’s very unorthodox and confusing. Like, can I buy stomp packs from other vendors and then use them in front of, say, your packs/amps? It’s all very strange.
You can but you would have to load the Tonex captures in Amplitube to use more than one at a time.

You can but you would have to load the Tonex captures in Amplitube to use more than one at a time.

Got it, thanks again. Like see I would have had zero clue that’s how you do that, and I don’t see where that’s mentioned anywhere. It’s just so confusing to tell what menus you are in etc to me.

So basically the only way to build “custom” rigs with different vendors stuff ( different stomps etc) is to also have a license for amplitube.

Got it, thanks again. Like see I would have had zero clue that’s how you do that, and I don’t see where that’s mentioned anywhere. It’s just so confusing to tell what menus you are in etc to me.

So basically the only way to build “custom” rigs with different vendors stuff ( different stomps etc) is to also have a license for amplitube.
I believe the free version should work but the effects would be limited.

ToneX is only a capture player. That is all it does. You can load a capture of a pedal, or an amp, but not both.

Amplitube is a full guitar 'processor', so you can build a chain of boosts, effects, delay, cab, reverb, etc... in this software.

ToneX and Amplitube are technically 2 different products, but you can use them together.

Back