Tube power amps

• Thread starter Thread starter mchn13
  • Start date Start date
Years ago I got an Engl rack with a pair of Engl Pro E212VHB cabs with V30s; including the E530 tube preamp and the E850/100 tube power amp:

IMG_0334.JPG

I sold the E530, but kept the E850/100 which have been discontinued and are tough to find. Sounds amazing, recently ran my ISP Theta Pro Michael Sweet into the E850/100 and the Engl cabs, 80's in a box into guitar cabs, no cab emulations.

Now I use the Engl cabs with an Engl Artist Edition 100 E651; but I'm keeping the E850/100.

I know Engl also made dual 50 W rack power amp, and maybe a dual 20 too? Tough to find, but I haven't looked in awhile.

With a modeler you don’t need tons of flavor. If you could abide mono, a power station would rock.

With a modeler you don’t need tons of flavor. If you could abide mono, a power station would rock.
Thats what i have, but it absolutely sounds better plugged into the effects return of my 5150(6l6), or JSX(el34). I can reason carrying a tube power amp around as long as its smallish. Trying to locate a ksr pa50, or maybe get an 5153 50 watter to run it through. Would also give me a backup amp…🤷‍♂️

Reactions: rsm
I have a solid state ISP Stealth power amp which sounds very good, but not as good as my Engl E850/100, with 6L6GC power tubes; I prefer EL34, but I think the 6L6 are fairly neutral; resonance / depth and presence controls also help adjust the power section.

it's worth finding a tube power amp IMO, unless you need something more compact...at that point I'd just use powered PA cabs - which is what I usually do with my modelers (currently, Helix Floor, and SY-1000).

Thats what i have, but it absolutely sounds better plugged into the effects return of my 5150(6l6), or JSX(el34). I can reason carrying a tube power amp around as long as its smallish. Trying to locate a ksr pa50, or maybe get an 5153 50 watter to run it through. Would also give me a backup amp…🤷‍♂️
Many rack power amps are stereo: Engl E840/50, Fryette LXII, etc. old Mesa 20/20 if you can find one...

If you just need mono power, use a small tube head or what you already have?

Many rack power amps are stereo: Engl E840/50, Fryette LXII, etc. old Mesa 20/20 if you can find one...

If you just need mono power, use a small tube head or what you already have?
the lxII has me super curious as well. im trying to get rid of the big heads i still have. its bad enough still toting cabs around...

The Peavey Classic 50/50 is a good one, but runs el84's (8 of them!!). I've got a Carvin TS100 right now that I really like, and it can run either el34's or 6L6's.
This!

I've had an S400, still have a V800 but picked up a Peavey 60/60 last yr after I had a Morin Pre. Very impressed with the Peavey...still have it in case I go modeler at some point. The S400 is very 3D; and a Monster but this Peavey also has a 3D tone just not as huge of course...I did briefly have a Fryette 50/50 but the Peavey sounded better to me so I returned the Fryette.
The 60/60 is a 2 space power amp. Don't sleep on these, they sound great and are still cheap!

Edit: Here's one

https://musicgoround.com/locations/roseville-mn/product/S000176356/Peavey-CLASSIC-6060-Power-Amp

This!

I've had an S400, still have a V800 but picked up a Peavey 60/60 last yr after I had a Morin Pre. Very impressed with the Peavey...still have it in case I go modeler at some point. The S400 is very 3D; and a Monster but this Peavey also has a 3D tone just not as huge of course...I did briefly have a Fryette 50/50 but the Peavey sounded better to me so I returned the Fryette.
The 60/60 is a 2 space power amp. Don't sleep on these, they sound great and are still cheap!

https://musicgoround.com/locations/roseville-mn/product/S000176356/Peavey-CLASSIC-6060-Power-Amp
Jumped on it but they wont ship it. 😳

This!

It's really too bad Peavey didn't add the Level, Resonance and Presence knobs on the front of the 60/60 like they did the Classic 120/120 power amp. That thing was a beast not only tonally but weight wise. I owned alot of power amps from Boogie to VHT back then and it was my favorite power amp. It was a beast.

It's really too bad Peavey didn't add the Level, Resonance and Presence knobs on the front of the 60/60 like they did the Classic 120/120 power amp. That thing was a beast not only tonally but weight wise. I owned alot of power amps from Boogie to VHT back then and it was my favorite power amp. It was a beast.
Out of that series, the 120/120 is the one I always wanted, but also the one I dont want to deal with, lol.

Yeah it’s hard to beat the KSR considering how small and light weight it is. It also sounds huge, I use it live in a two guitar metal band and it’s plenty loud.

That will be the one I grab
Years ago I got an Engl rack with a pair of Engl Pro E212VHB cabs with V30s; including the E530 tube preamp and the E850/100 tube power amp:

View attachment 341375

I sold the E530, but kept the E850/100 which have been discontinued and are tough to find. Sounds amazing, recently ran my ISP Theta Pro Michael Sweet into the E850/100 and the Engl cabs, 80's in a box into guitar cabs, no cab emulations.

Now I use the Engl cabs with an Engl Artist Edition 100 E651; but I'm keeping the E850/100.

I know Engl also made dual 50 W rack power amp, and maybe a dual 20 too? Tough to find, but I haven't looked in awhile.

Almost traded the herbert iii
For a savage 120ii and one of those e850.

I kinda wish I did. But I had 2 savages before so didn't. lol

View attachment 341375

Actually the 50 is easy to find.. They sell the 50W new at GC, Sweetwater, etc.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...poweramp-50-50-e840-rackmount-power-amplifier

Back