[UPDATED]The neverending search for a good 2203 Metal-Boost-Pedal...

• Thread starter Thread starter Simon Dorn
  • Start date Start date
I never in my life heard of it.
Yes, but "Modern" is kinda relative.
It's an SD-1 with better components.

Have you tried the Wylde OD? I like, personally, not just with 800's.

Is your cab an MF280 or 400?

Killer tone as always. I've never for the life of me gotten an 800 to work for me.

BB preamp is probably my favorite for getting an 800 into high gain levels. Any sort of TS type with low end control is my preference. Hate losing all my low end - deal breaker for me personally

I'll put a vote in for the Friedman Buxom Boost ..... friggin great Boost with a great EQ you can remove from the circuit if you want ....

But man ....... I could build you pretty much whatever you want when it comes to OD's ,Distortions and Drives ...

and this is a Griffin Analog SuperDrive
1700914777235.png

That would make sense, because you seem to be into an entirely different style of boosting a 2203 than most of us.

A MIAB is a marshall in a box pedal.
Seems like. Sarcastic, but totally friendly Statement: I don't need a Marshall in a Box, i have my Marshall in a Big Headshell. :D

BB preamp is probably my favorite for getting an 800 into high gain levels. Any sort of TS type with low end control is my preference. Hate losing all my low end - deal breaker for me personally
I had that on the screen a few times...But i never tried one.

It's an SD-1 with better components.

Have you tried the Wylde OD? I like, personally, not just with 800's.

Is your cab an MF280 or 400?

Killer tone as always. I've never for the life of me gotten an 800 to work for me.
Ah, Ok.
I was looking at them recently. Thought i try it with MXR 10 Band, KFK-Style since he's using one as well.
Tried the TS part of the Duality in the MXR and did not like it all that much. So i don't know.
It's supposed to be a SD-1, more or less. Watched some Clips.
It's an MF400B. I also had 2 MF280B, but i sold both for whatever reason. Very good Cabs. Buy one, if you can. I would, but they are hard to find nowadays.
Thanks. It really needs some work. Sometimes i hate it, GAS sets in, i buy another Amp, just recently the Uber-Ultra, i compare them, Marshall wins, after a while i hate it, sometimes even on the next day, i get GAS, i buy an Amp..... :D

Which version did you try? I have a black one and a silver one. The silver is a lot less noisy. I thought it was just hype to sell the new pedal but it’s true.
The KFK1. Manual says it has a noise reduction circuit in it as well, but i don't know. First MXR 10 Band i tried.

what exactly tones are you trying to achieve? You’re shooting down many of the tried and true options. I’m learning towards a 2203 isn’t the best amp to be working with for whatever you’re going for.

The MXR is pretty noisy. I don't see much sense in using an external EQ neither in Front of the Amp, nor in the loop.
But i thought i give it at least once a try. Seems i was right, as far as i'm concerned.
10 band boss eqs are great upfront

what exactly tones are you trying to achieve? You’re shooting down many of the tried and true options. I’m learning towards a 2203 isn’t the best amp to be working with for whatever you’re going for.
What kind of tone? Good question. I'm trying to get my tone. The most brutal yet musical tone that's possible.
I think i'm close with the DX/TC Set-Up.

The 2203 is exactly the right Amp for that. Not easy at all, but rewarding. In a good way.
I might say something else tomorrow.

And buy another Diezel, or Uberschall (Rev Blue), or my second JP-2C when they ever arrive in Europe again...
Or another Triple Reborn (they are quite good), I don't think that i will ever find another Rev D, so that's that.

I probably won't buy another ENGL. Maybe another EVH? Meh. I don't know.

Ok, i stop now. :D

10 band boss eqs are great upfront
That was the first spot i put it. ;)
Made a Diezel VH4 channel 3 out of the 800.
Needed more gain. Tried the TS portion of the DX (close to an SD-1 used as a clean boost, with the Level on 1 o'clock, instead of full on the SD-1)
Didn't like it much and canceled the Idea of buying an MXR Wylde/Berzerker, which is more or less an SD-1 as well, for the MXR.

I'll put a vote in for the Friedman Buxom Boost ..... friggin great Boost with a great EQ you can remove from the circuit if you want ....

But man ....... I could build you pretty much whatever you want when it comes to OD's ,Distortions and Drives ...

and this is a Griffin Analog SuperDrive
View attachment 267162
Just ask this guy to do something for you! He knows his shit!

That was the first spot i put it. ;)
Made a Diezel VH4 channel 3 out of the 800.
Needed more gain. Tried the TS portion of the DX (close to an SD-1 used as a clean boost, with the Level on 1 o'clock, instead of full on the SD-1)
Didn't like it much and canceled the Idea of buying an MXR Wylde/Berzerker, which is more or less an SD-1 as well, for the MXR.
Not alone / still boost it

Back