Van Halen 1 and 2 gear and racks in HD

• Thread starter Thread starter Amp_chaser
  • Start date Start date
I can’t conceive that the recording of an amp sounds exactly like in the room. But it’s like an alternate version of what you hear in the room and that’s way different no ? I mean isn’t it rare that your amp sounds the same threw your mic compared to the room + your ears ?

Deraps is an amazing guitar player. I admit It. Is this the germino amp ? See my issue is this sometimes an amp sounds insanely good recorded but threw your ears in the room it sounds bad. I don’t know if I’m the only one having this kind of issues ? You crave a tone that is processed threw a mic but you want It coming in the room and not threw monitors.
In the video above he plays a Marshall SV20H.

Indeed, he gets VH1 tone in spades with a stock 20w plexi, a Kramer with a JB and the Ox with the sunset sound type preset.

Amp_chaser, you should listen to the raw tracks and the studio iso tracks of VH1 on YouTube. You will ear the difference between the tone before and after studio processing. That's where the bright, gainy tone comes from. The raw tracks sound like a classic dime plexi, and what you hear on the album is just the result of what was done in the studio (compressor, reverb, etc...).
I agree the studio processing enhanced the aggressiveness of the tone but that is not where the gain or perceived gain is coming from. I must respectfully disagree that it is all studio magic because it isn't. Ed makes just enough gain sound enormous.

Here are three live shows that does not use any studio preamps or the now famous Pultec EQ. All of these shows have all the gain and tone on the albums. That cannot be denied by anyone who is objective listening to the audio. I will post the album release party show in October 15 1977 when they were coming right out of the studio so the likelihood of Ed using exactly what he used in the studio is very high. If you want album tone you better get an OX box like Ossie Ahsen. Like I said when Ed wanted more GAIN he stepped on the MXR 6 BAND EQ it's a simple as that. The theoretical discussions and are fun to explore but most were all proved out almost 20 years ago on Metro amp forum, all the insight you need are in Robin L's account of the 78 tour if you are willing to implement them fully. I'm still waiting on someone posting a Jose Mod that sound as good or better than those Suhr SL68 and Jim Gaustad's videos, that's because the actual variaced 68 plexi sounds best.

ReleasedFebruary 10, 1978
RecordedAugust 29 – October 4, 1977
StudioSunset Sound Recorders, Hollywood
GenreHard rock heavy metal glam metal

[th]
Van Halen

[/th]​

Here Ed is getting Album tone live without an OXbox and no studio magic....just say'in

Last edited:
Marshall SV20 into an OXBOX, seems to have all the gain that VH1 has.

Here's what the guy said he used in the comments section for the video below.
Recipe is as follows:#Marshall #SV20H (at 8ohm) all knobs on 10 with JJ 6CA7's and an 80$ variac from Amazon. EVH 412 Cabinet with #Celestion G12 EVH SpeakersPedalboard:#MXR Custom Shop 74' Phase 90#EVH Flanger (EVH switch on)EVH Chorus (buffer on; pedal set at unity gain)#Danelectro Reel Echo(330ms)#Boss #DM-2w (I use it for the dive on Eruption sometimes, but really I just use it as an output buffer)

Last edited:
Deraps main amp for sometime is a Germino Lead 55. Yes in the video he’s playing a Marshall 20

I have a sv20h and it has less gain than both those amps with the 1meg.

My amp has insane amounts of gain because of the values of the extra gain stage if I remove the 1 Meg it has so much gain that the amp farts into oblivion.

My objective with this amp was to sound like vh in the room threw your ears. However I had hard time to make it sound right threw a mic.

I can’t tell for the suhr sl68, but for example I bought a bray 4550 deluxe and it sounded good threw the mic but in real life threw ears it didn’t sound like Van Halen. I sold it and the guy who bought it just sold it instantly after he received it… I heard that a lot of buyers of brown sound amps have this issue that their amps sound good recorded but in the room threw the ears it didn’t sound like the records at all. I’ve heard of brown eye buyers having this issue too but I don’t know if it’s true.
I don't believe your SV20 has less gain than all the videos that have been posted in this thread. Now you say you had a Bray 4550 which is one of the best sounding plug and play VH amps out there and you couldn't make that amp work so I don't know what examples you need, they are all here in the this thread. Your Bray must have been broken as well if you could not coax a good EVH tone out of it, you seem to have alot of broken amps.

Are you sure you're not PUNKING US here?

If you are trying to do all this at a bedroom volume you may want to look into a Kemper they sound great.

I don't want to hurt your feelings but your amp sounds broken and the clips reveal it has some functional issues like you are getting blocking distortion somewhere and possibly other issues but I will not be troubleshooting things any further, you will have to do it on your end. Your assertion that stock Plexi's and Superleads have less gain that what we hear on VH1 is completely incorrect and all the video's posted here prove that statement out.

I would revisit your Marshall SV20 into a Fryette PS2 or the UA OXBOX since no one else that has one seems to have a problem getting a great tone out of them.

Last edited:
I’ve tried a Bray 4550 which is a nice amp but the Rockstah mod 5 was closer to THAT sound.

w2S9H3c.jpg
Where can I buy the pedal to get EVH tonezzzzz? Does it come with a Happy Meal burger & special sauce?

I don't believe your SV20 has less gain than all the videos that have been posted in this thread. Now you say you had a Bray 4550 which is one of the best sounding plug and play VH amps out there and you couldn't make that amp work so I don't know what examples you need, they are all here in the this thread. Your Bray must have been broken as well if you could not coax a good EVH tone out of it, you seem to have alot of broken amps.

If you are trying to do all this at a bedroom volume you may want to look into a Kemper they sound great.

I don't want to hurt your feelings but your amp sounds broken and the clips reveal it has some functional issues like you are getting blocking distortion somewhere and possibly other issues but I will not be troubleshooting things any further, you will have to do it on your end. Your assertion that stock Plexi's and Superleads have less gain that what we hear on VH1 is completely incorrect and all the video's posted here prove that statement out.

I would revisit your Marshall SV20 into a Fryette PS2 or the UA OXBOX since no one else that has one seems to have a problem getting a great tone out of them.

Seriously I’m not trolling you my both amps that I built have more gain than my sv20 just for example I wasn’t able to record them for a while because of that that’s how it sounds when I record them at full gain :

My sm57 or my interface couldn’t keep with it perhaps I do something wrong. Or perhaps that I have gear issues.

This is a iPhone record of the 20w amp with full gain :

Couldn’t make it sound without the fizz.

This was the bray 4550 deluxe I bought from David bray and his demo before he shipped it to me. David is a nice guy and it’s amps are rock solid :

https://soundcloud.com/user-753183638/bray4550deluxe

IMG_6855.png

This was my unit, I received it and was happy but I had a lot of trouble hearing Van Halen 1 and 2 it did unchained like in the clip however for vh1 and 2 I had more like flubby tone with a Duncan 78. I wasn’t lucky with this unit. I sold it on reverb to a French guy which was a Van Halen fan as me. I thought perhaps I wasn’t enough good to make it sound nice. When he received it he posted it on reverb to sell it he even asked me who was the other guy interested in it before he bought it… the French guy was way way more skilled than me at guitar playing.

Because of this story I decided that I wanted to learn how to build amps by myself to build myself a real Brown sound amp. then when I began to build amps I discovered the Sloclone forums and a lot of guys were saying that the bray didn’t made it for them too that the clips sound extremely good but when they play them they can’t get the sound out of it. just go on the forums some of them even inspect the guts of those amps and say nothing special there.

I don’t know how to react to this. A lot of people seem happy with their coco. The bray deluxe seem to be a lottery on the other hand.

So I decided to build amps that’s it.

This is my sv20 with a Jose master volume and a classic extra jose gain stage.

I think that classic ppimv are inferior to the Jose master volume when it comes to distorted sounds. I tried both the Jose master volume retains fullness and headroom at low volumes while the classic ppimv not.

https://soundcloud.com/user-7531836...d&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

IMG_6556.jpeg

IMG_6567.jpeg

IMG_6565.jpeg

My 20w plexi has way more gain that despite the 1meg in front of the 0.0022uf. The sv20h has no 1meg in front of it.

Now why can’t I record properly my 20w plexi at full gain with my gear at home I don’t know at all. I was going to record it in a studio after receiving my echo plex but then it got lost in the eBay international hub… I wanted the full pedalboard before going to the studio… I’m waiting for PayPal giving me back my money to buy another one this time directly shipped to my home…

IMG_6856.jpeg

My 20w plexi would get insane levels of gain if the jumper is inserted like that. In real life it sounds like a plexi on steroids. Not fuzzy and not muddy at all. But each time I try to record it like that I get fuzzy records except with the iPhone.

Last edited:
Why isn't anyone asking WVH about his dad's rig(s) setup? If anyone knows, it would be him.

here is a clip without the 1meg ohm but still without the 82k. Without the 1meg resistor I think it sounds worse but people will be the judge of it.

there is no pedals no variac no schaffer bone stock.

I read on a forum that the 20ohm load resistor that eddie used made his amp go into B when distorted so if we remove the 82k and it make the amp go into b why couldn't it stay like that ? I mean for a 20w with 2 el84 we have to admit that this sound is insane. Some even thought it was my 50w.

Last edited:
wait one question about those isolated tracks this is with 2 speakers no ? Or is there more ? Because the wet signal is clean no ? This means that there were 2 amps on the recording that day ?

Back