Vinnie Vincent First Appearance In 25 years

• Thread starter Thread starter Metlupass2
  • Start date Start date
Giantrobot9000":1afuaguc said:
35 years old, skinny, makeup, heels, women's clothes=totally hetero dude

65 years old, fat, less makeup, heels, women's suit=transitioning

Hunh

nailed it :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

I watched the first 20 minutes or so yesterday and really enjoyed it, need to find an audio only version so I can listen at work

I know there are always two sides to every story but he always mentions getting screwed over by KISS and that is why he ended up where he did. If you have talent (which he does), are able to still get around, and famous there is no excuse if you are willing to work hard. I mean he was in Vinnie Vincent Invasion for years after KISS. There were plenty of people around that would have helped him. It has been well documented by the band how Vinnie was one of the most talented guitarists they ever worked with but just couldn't keep it together with everything else.

sytharnia1560":swirns84 said:
Giantrobot9000":swirns84 said:

Hunh

lol pretty much.. but if you are going to stay 80's, then you have to really own the outrageous women's clothes, not the principle of your local highschool clothes. Anyway he was a good player. Shit tone, but good player. Had that whole nitro speed of light shreddy thing going.

Kapo_Polenton":whujhfo5 said:
sytharnia1560":whujhfo5 said:
Giantrobot9000":whujhfo5 said:

Hunh

lol pretty much.. but if you are going to stay 80's, then you have to really own the outrageous women's clothes, not the principle of your local highschool clothes. Anyway he was a good player. Shit tone, but good player. Had that whole nitro speed of light shreddy thing going.

Yeah, I agree....not the women's clothes, but the tone. LOL! Seriously though you are right, his tone was not good. When people say "can of bees" or "turn the gain down a bit", I now know they are referencing Vinnie Vincent.

You know I don't think famous musicians give their fans enough credit sometimes. There are alot of great musicians that really have an appreciation for their fans and the money they have spent on tickets, shirts, music, etc. over the years and some don't. If anything else, maybe it showed Vinnie Vincent how loyal some of his fans are. When he was basically written off years ago, they still kept him in his thoughts. I'm a huge KISS fan and never gave him another thought.

There are alot of music fans that are pretty damn loyal. Fans of bands like Bon Jovi come and go as they change the type of music they perform but bands like Iron Maiden, KISS, Black Sabbath, Rush, etc., etc., just have this huge fan base that doesn't forget these guys.

Man this is what I see when I see VV... did he change gender? Why is he wearing Hillary's clothes?

getpubthumb

Getting $550 a week from Gene and Paul, having pressure to write them a new album cuz they couldn’t, bring constantly pressured to sign a contract during that same time having twins to take care of and not having enough income for your family Vinnie made a tough choice. I have little respect for Gene and Paul at how they treated him.

errrrrl":35f4t0t9 said:
Man this is what I see when I see VV... did he change gender? Why is he wearing Hillary's clothes?

getpubthumb
Oh man, I'm glad I didn't see this early this morning or I'd spit my coffee on the screen. Wow.

I heard the interview - Vinnie has always been his own worst enemy. He seems more humbled now but you never know with him. There are literally tons of guys in various bands from Kiss, to Slaughter to the original Warrior project that featured Hirsh Gardner, Jimmy Waldo and Gary Shea where he's just crapped the bed in some fashion. Tremendously talented person that has had zero direction. The guy even wrote songs for John Waite. Just zero direction. One story...I believe from Mark Slaughter where Vinnie was warming up pre-show when the Invasion was opening for Maiden...the Maiden guitarists were lined up at the door and were telling VV, why don't you play like that and his quote was "it's boring".

As for Kiss during that era, I doubt they had the finances to pay Vinnie much more. It wasn't like they were rolling in the dough then and they were still paying Frehley as a full member. $550 a week equates to about 28K a year. Jake E Lee was quoted one time saying he barely made 30k a year for Ozzy...so.

$550.00 in 1983 had the same buying power as $1,360.53 in 2017. That's just over 70k a year.

Metlupass2":pg33n74g said:
$550.00 in 1983 had the same buying power as $1,360.53 in 2017. That's just over 70k a year.
Yep and throw in his credits for the co-writes and it wasn't exactly chump change. Granted I'm sure the royalties took a bit to come in. And then of course that wasn't enough for Vinnie. Plus, on the road, you aren't paying for anything other than personal items as you'd be given a Per Diem, and gear which might have cost you the year before was suddenly being handed to you. Certainly not putting Vinnie down, they probably should have paid him more but I really doubt the band financially had the money at that point. I mean Eric Carr was brought in at 80k a year when they were rolling in money. I would think had Vinnie stayed on he would have made more money as the band got better of financially.

errrrrl":1n35hs2a said:

getpubthumb

Good for Vinney if it makes him happy...But both outfits, Hillary's and Vinny's look like something DR. EVIL wears. He needs a Mini ME! :lol: :LOL:

jabps":24h5l9vi said:
Metlupass2":24h5l9vi said:
Yep and throw in his credits for the co-writes and it wasn't exactly chump change. Granted I'm sure the royalties took a bit to come in. And then of course that wasn't enough for Vinnie. Plus, on the road, you aren't paying for anything other than personal items as you'd be given a Per Diem, and gear which might have cost you the year before was suddenly being handed to you. Certainly not putting Vinnie down, they probably should have paid him more but I really doubt the band financially had the money at that point. I mean Eric Carr was brought in at 80k a year when they were rolling in money. I would think had Vinnie stayed on he would have made more money as the band got better of financially.

Also keep in mind he said take home was $550 so I’m assuming that was AFTER taxes which would make it 75k plus in today's money.

Metlupass2":2nmf1cxv said:
jabps":2nmf1cxv said:
Metlupass2":2nmf1cxv said:

Also keep in mind he said take home was $550 so I’m assuming that was AFTER taxes which would make it 75k plus.

Not quite..
More like anywhere between 40-50k
The Tax % was different back then.
He probably grossed 800 or so a week, took home his 550.

Figure about 800 a week X 52 weeks...gives you less than 42k annually.

Def not 75k..They fucked him big time. He should've gotten at least at a minimum, 100k a year. Those guys were robbing him.

ElectricVoodoo":3baugxqo said:
Metlupass2":3baugxqo said:
jabps":3baugxqo said:
Metlupass2":3baugxqo said:

Also keep in mind he said take home was $550 so I’m assuming that was AFTER taxes which would make it 75k plus.

Not quite..

Def not 75k..They fucked him big time. He should've gotten at least at a minimum, 100k a year. Those guys were robbing him.
Honestly how were they robbing him? Kiss wasn't rolling in the dough during this era. COTN didn't go gold. LIU barely made platinum. And even though it made platinum it was the first album to do so since Dynasty 5 years earlier. Not to mention they toured behind both albums to halls that were on average about 60% capacity. Plus still paying Ace Frehley as a full member. Where was the money to come from to pay VV once you take out all expenses of running a band from label, managers, press agents, video's, various staff, Frehley, touring, tour managers and crew and touring expenses etc...

Ozzy paid Jake around 30k a year and was selling twice the albums, and sold out halls at this time compared to Kiss.

ElectricVoodoo":r7s0ls1s said:

No way dude. Nobody was running out buying an "Ankh" Halloween costume. :)

It is easy now to say he got screwed but I agree with some of the others that have already commented. In the early 80s, KISS was recovering from some bad albums ("Torpedo Girl" anyone?) and they were in a rebuilding phase with Vinnie. He was in a "hired gun" status and probably could have stuck around longer. I don't know the whole story other than just hearing that he was always shooting himself in the foot.

jabps":23vm0775 said:
ElectricVoodoo":23vm0775 said:
Metlupass2":23vm0775 said:
jabps":23vm0775 said:
Metlupass2":23vm0775 said:

Not quite..

Honestly how were they robbing him? Kiss wasn't rolling in the dough during this era. COTN didn't go gold. LIU barely made platinum. And even though it made platinum it was the first album to do so since Dynasty 5 years earlier. Not to mention they toured behind both albums to halls that were on average about 60% capacity. Plus still paying Ace Frehley as a full member. Where was the money to come from to pay VV once you take out all expenses of running a band from label, managers, press agents, video's, various staff, Frehley, touring, tour managers and crew and touring expenses etc...

Ozzy paid Jake around 30k a year and was selling twice the albums, and sold out halls at this time compared to Kiss.
Vinnie wrote quite of bit a songs he gets royalties from them. A hired hand does not

Back