What Amp Did Warren DeMartini Use on Out Of The Cellar ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Ben Waylin
  • Start date Start date
Ben Waylin
Ben Waylin
Here's the answer I've managed to gather so far from the Internets:

1. a plexi

2. Soldano SLR

3. Laney

4. JCM800

5. No, this album they recorded with Marshalls, but endorsed Laney

6. no, that's pure Soldano tone.

7. no, he always had a number one 19xx plexi. He used it for everything up to (album).

8. yeah, but he played Laneys on tour

9. those weren't real amps. he had a plexi under the stage.

10. no it was a Soldano, with fake Laneys.

11. what about the dual EQ setup?

12. oh yeah, boost 800hz pre, cut 800 hz post.

13. yeah but that was only on out of the cellar with the plexi

14. I heard it was a plexi modified like a JCM800.

:unsure:

Invasion-Era Gear Questions

Rumor is you had a grail [Marshall] plexi that you used to keep fans on in the studio because the plate voltage was so high. It supposedly blew every few hours. Is that true?

It is true. It’s a mid/late ’70s 100-watt. I used that amp on Invasion. I bought it just after the Out of the Cellar tour and before the Invasion of Your Privacy album. I used that plexi head with another, and on most of Dancing Undercover. Jose [Jose Arrendondo, the same Jose who may have worked on EVH’s pre-VH1 gear] told me that something had happened inside one of the trannies, a seal had worn away, causing it to arc, so every third time we turned it on it would blow something up. He was able to inject it with something to solve that problem. It’s [still] working fine. The last thing I used that amp on was on Detonator, “Nobody Rides for Free.”

https://www.woodytone.com/2010/04/12/detailed-warren-demartini-gear-rundown/

Last edited:
Iirc I listened to beau hill talk about the tones on YouTube a while back and I thought he said 70’s 1987 for invasion and that same amp with the SLO for invasion. Great tones but I could never find them in my 2203 and 50 watt plexi clone so I’m sure there’s a lot more to it.

Iirc I listened to beau hill talk about the tones on YouTube a while back and I thought he said 70’s 1987 for invasion and that same amp with the SLO for invasion. Great tones but I could never find them in my 2203 and 50 watt plexi clone so I’m sure there’s a lot more to it.
I've never gotten anywhere near that tone with my JCM800, boosted, EQ'ed, or my BE-50.. 🤷‍♂️

I try an SLO circuit and it sounds close to my ears. Has the right "feel" as well.

Last edited:
I've never gotten anywhere near that tone with my JCM800, boosted, EQ'ed, or my BE-50.. 🤷‍♂️

It sounds more like a plexi to me rather than anything else, to be honest.

I don't think Soldanos were around at that point, were they?

Out of the Cellar came out in earlier ‘84. I always thought he used a late 60’s plexi for that but don’t really know for sure. It does sound like a non master Marshall to me, maybe set around 6-7 and hit with a tube screamer or similar. Has a more metallic edge to it rather than the “brown” thing of just turning it up near max. Steve Stevens also famously used a late 60’s plexi with Billy Idol at this time and you can hear similar characteristics.

Always thought his best tone was on the Detonator album. Which I believe was plexi and SLO.
Almost all Marshall on the Detonator album. Supposedly he recorded the slide work with an SLO

Back