What amp?

• Thread starter Thread starter alund
  • Start date Start date
alund
alund
If you could have just 1 amp. And all and every amp was exact same PRICE, all were immediately AVAILABLE on purchase and perfect working order, which would you pick?

Bogner Uber Ultra

Ask me tomorrow and I'll probably say something different but today, that's my answer. It's like an encyclopedia of all my favorite modern metal, aggressive medium gain crunch, and smooth lead tones all in one amp. And the best tones I've been able to get out of it suit me better than the best tones I've been able to get out of most any other amp I've compared it against.

I'd probably be an SLO guy as well. Only because in one amp, I could have a good clean, good crunch, and a nice lead tone.

That being said, right now, I am very happy with one amp, a Laney GH50L, and I've had an SLO before. I don't really NEED a variety of tones. But if I had to have one amp for the rest of my life, an SLO would give me a good sound for everything I could choose to play I think.

Yeah. Now that I’m thinking about it … for what style of music. Insight into what the amp does for those of us who don’t have one

Yeah. Now that I’m thinking about it … for what style of music. Insight into what the amp does for those of us who don’t have one
For just 3D tone quality Dumble ODS. Nothing else that I’ve tried can remotely touch it there

For cleans and some low gain: Alessandro DAZZ

For classic rock and blues: Gjika 10N or Alessandro Redbone

For metal: the Hermansson modded Rev G Dual Rec I just got or my Rev C

For most rock styles either my Rev C or 1972 Marshall Super Lead 100

For melodic leads: Jim Kelley, shreddy leads: again my Hermansson Rev G or Mark IIC+

This is a recurring theme…. Never been available to me. Help explain
Very hard hitting hitting, brash, raw sounding amps perfect for most things rock, but not as much my choice for other styles. The ‘70’s ones are brighter and brash with what became known as the Marshall kerrang, while the ‘60’s ones are darker, warmer and smokier sounding, but I need to try still some from ‘68 and ‘69 to see where it fits on that spectrum

Very hard hitting hitting, brash, raw sounding amps perfect for most things rock, but not as much my choice for other styles. The ‘70’s ones are brighter and brash with what became known as the Marshall kerrang, while the ‘60’s ones are darker, warmer and smokier sounding, but I need to try still some from ‘68 and ‘69 to see where it fits on that spectrum
Good info here. I only own a modded Marshall so I don’t have a reference to the OG

Good info here. I only own a modded Marshall so I don’t have a reference to the OG
In general the modded ones tend to become different animals that usually get more distant and hollow in the mids (especially the ones with depth mods) with the goal of making them heavier, higher gain and better suited toward metal, but imo get less Marshall-y as a result

Think it would have to be my early 80s 2203. Can cover so much ground with a couple pedals. And the low input is a fantastic pedal platform.

I’d miss the huge low end I can get from some other amps, but the mids are what keep me interested.

Last edited:
Think it would to be my early 80s 2203. Can cover so much ground with a couple pedals. And the low input is a fantastic pedal platform.

I’d miss the huge low end I can get from some other amps, but the mids are what keep me interested.
That’s the problem, my amps with the best mids aren’t as good as my other amps in the low or high end and vice versa for my amps with great lows and highs. Can’t have it all, but mids tend to win me over more too

Bad midrange tends to bother me the way some get bothered by a high end that is too harsh or intense

Back