What do you consider modern metal ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Techdeth
  • Start date Start date
I’m that “old guy” when it comes to many things in life, I’m really glad I never became that guy when it comes to music though

My dad will be 65 this year, he’s the one who turned me onto Leprous and Mastodon is one of his favorite bands. Sometimes the age starts coming in, I notice one day he’ll be really into something more on the technical/prog side of things and then for about a week he’ll go on a ”It’s too busy” kick. Still cool he really gets down with that stuff. I was stoked to see him posting Mastodon’s “The Motherload” all over his FB and it wasn’t just cuz chicks are shaking their asses in the vid.

does that scrunchy on the headstock thing do ANYTHING really? i've heard it mutes your strings a bit, but isn't that what your palm on your picking hand is for?

I got torn apart on Reddit by the GenZ kids for asking that question. :LOL:

“Apparently you don’t play high gain through loud amps or you’d know why it’s necessary”

Yeah, ok fucksticks…
IMG_2565.jpeg

While they’re all playing into fucking plug-ins.

does that scrunchy on the headstock thing do ANYTHING really? i've heard it mutes your strings a bit, but isn't that what your palm on your picking hand is for?
It's for the rings from the strings behind the nut. They even sell dedicated products for that.

I agree, though. The scrunchie thing is pretty pathetic.

Reactions: rsm
That sounded like mainstream music with distorted guitars and some (emo-ish) screaming, LOL.

Beartooth's touring drummer is set to be one of the greats. Mark my words. Connor Denis is amazing.
These days it doesn’t matter to me how amazing a drummer is when they have that software sound on an album. Give me real drums and have real dynamic control for the player. That’s what’s so great about OG legends like Lombardo and Igor for eg. Super creative and fantastic metal drummers but their recordings are not perfect but have such individual personality and character to them. Today’s metal drummers all sound the same to me because they literally all ”sound” the same. You could hear 20 seconds of Lombardo, Igor or John Stanier and instantly know it’s them. I miss players and bands having various but identifiable sounds.

Yeah, I'm sure the musicians are good. They just don't sound very Metal to me.

These days it doesn’t matter to me how amazing a drummer is when they have that software sound on an album. Give me real drums and have real dynamic control for the player. That’s what’s so great about OG legends like Lombardo and Igor for eg. Super creative and fantastic metal drummers but their recordings are not perfect but have such individual personality and character to them. Today’s metal drummers all sound the same to me because they literally all ”sound” the same. You could hear 20 seconds of Lombardo, Igor or John Stanier and instantly know it’s them. I miss players and bands having various but identifiable sounds.
The albums are all just the singer. It’s a solo project and he uses touring musicians. They’re awesome live.

I guess for some the word modern is different than mine. For me if it is much more than 5 years old I don't consider it modern.

Listening to all these videos for me I like a lot of the music.
The vocals and singers I don't like. Most of it reminds me of my wife when the hormones make her act crazy.

For me it went modern when thrash/death/black metal arrived in the 80's.
I don't even care to nail it down to a specific band or album.

I got torn apart on Reddit by the GenZ kids for asking that question. :LOL:

“Apparently you don’t play high gain through loud amps or you’d know why it’s necessary”

Yeah, ok fucksticks…
View attachment 270231

While they’re all playing into fucking plug-ins.

I never thought about the scrunchie thing until I bought an 8 string guitar, that's a lot of string flopping and buzzing lol. I quickly accepted my limitations though and went back to 7s.

But I do think they are useful for extended range/low tunings/polyphia type tappy tappies, etc. that are gained and compressed to an inch of their life

Back