What's the scoop with Luxxtone and relics?

• Thread starter Thread starter cragginshrd
  • Start date Start date
cragginshrd
cragginshrd
Anyone have recent experience with them? I've been with Anderson guitars exclusively for the past 3 years aside from my Les pauls but their super strats as nice as they play can sound a bit thin.

I just changed the title of the Charvel thread because due to the suggestion of Luxxtone and some research I'm leaning toward an El Machete
Not too sure about a Relic tho...

Last edited:
As far as superstrats go they’re for me the best I’ve tried for under $6000 or so (my hands down favorites being Marchione, but very $$$). Their aged nitro series (or nitro finish guitars) are really where it’s at for tone (well worth it over their poly or oil finish guitars) and they tend to also have the best playability too of their line-up IME supposedly based on their old pre-pro necks

Since a lot of guys here are big Anderson fans I try not to say too much, but I would agree, I’ve tried a good amount and they all sounded sterile to me and I judge guitars really on sound. Suhr’s also sound quite sterile IME, but most of these boutique guitars don’t seem to have tone as much of priority at all in their builds sadly. I don’t think most guitars mentioned on this forum have good tone if I’m being honest, but Charvel Aged Nitro’s (and a few of their other good CS guitars I’ve had) are among the few non-vintage guitars I found inspiring. Here’s a pic below of my favorite one I used to own

IMG_7676.jpeg

Last edited:
I had a "Masterbuilt" one recently by Red Dave. Seemed nice enough. The fretwork was very good, but the frets were on the low side, which seems odd for this type of guitar but maybe that's how the original owner spec'd it.

Build quality and fit-and-finish were stellar except the neck blank was not cleanly quarter sawn. Likely a non-issue functionally, but on a guitar this expensive, I don't really enjoy seeing that.

I've got a couple of CS nitro Charvels with vintage trems that sound fine although I don't like the position of the volume knobs straight down from the pickup. TBH I've gotten into Luxxtone and I think they are a better buy for the money.

I've got a couple of CS nitro Charvels with vintage trems that sound fine although I don't like the position of the volume knobs straight down from the pickup. TBH I've gotten into Luxxtone and I think they are a better buy for the money.
So many brands out,.. good to know. What Luxxtone do you have? pics?

Ive never played a custom shop. I have a DK24 that I like but it has a few issues that I need to get sorted. Plus it was black satin so it has an oily spot from my hand.

As far as superstrats go, I am absolutely in love with my chubtone. I've tried Anderson and Suhr plus a few other boutique guitars and honestly I don't feel like I settled for less with my chubtone. It hangs with my Mayones and Aviator guitars which were 1000+ more expensive. The only thing is I wish they would offer 24 frets. I think they did at one time but they dont seem to offer that these days(I could be wrong).

I'm in the plotting phase of my next build from them.

Which is interesting - that’s exactly where I like having the volume knob - in line with the center of the bridge pickup and just far enough away that I’m not hitting it with the heel / pinky of my picking hand!

I love the look of Luxxtone - never had the opportunity to pkay one. Played a couple Chubtones and was incredibly impressed. Felt and sounded like stepping back in time and having someone hand you an OG late 80s San Dimas Charvel.

I had a "Masterbuilt" one recently by Red Dave. Seemed nice enough. The fretwork was very good, but the frets were on the low side, which seems odd for this type of guitar but maybe that's how the original owner spec'd it.

Build quality and fit-and-finish were stellar except the neck blank was not cleanly quarter sawn. Likely a non-issue functionally, but on a guitar this expensive, I don't really enjoy seeing that.
That’s interesting. I’ve had 7 different Custom Shop Charvel’s and none of them had short frets. They were all just right for my taste and I also really dislike short frets

Which is interesting - that’s exactly where I like having the volume knob - in line with the center of the bridge pickup and just far enough away that I’m not hitting it with the heel / pinky of my picking hand!

I love the look of Luxxtone - never had the opportunity to pkay one. Played a couple Chubtones and was incredibly impressed. Felt and sounded like stepping back in time and having someone hand you an OG late 80s San Dimas Charvel.
It's to each his own . Lot's of people like the volume knob there. I can't play standard strat configurations either as I'm always rolling off the volume knob with the pinky side of my hand .

Reactions: PDC
So many brands out,.. good to know. What Luxxtone do you have? pics?
I'll post some . I have owned a bunch of Andersons ---All Good and when I hear your clips I think they sound fantastic. I'm actually trying to figure out why i always sell them???? Probably because I know the next one I get will sound fantastic !!!!!

What is a 'short fret' ?
Height of the frets. I find with taller frets I can do a lot more with my vibratos and bends to make them more expressive and nuanced. Harder for me to do with shorter frets. They just feel better to me, but it's very personal maybe

I'll post some . I have owned a bunch of Andersons ---All Good and when I hear your clips I think they sound fantastic. I'm actually trying to figure out why i always sell them???? Probably because I know the next one I get will sound fantastic !!!!!
Cool, the only complaint on my Anderson is it is a small body and super light and amazingly stable tuning, however small wood footprint means a little less body to the tone. I have had ultra love hate mostly hate lately for Floyds despite having used them since 1983 -first one in Fresno to have a double locking Floyd.
In any case my current lil angel Anderson has a baby Floyd and non locker which is very stable. however I don't really do any dives.

Looking hard at the Luxxtone El Machete

I was just going to chime in on this...in that price range, I would be looking seriously at Luxxtone. Quality and attention to detail is absolutely stellar.

Last edited:
I have several Charvel CS and my 2 latest ones are Red Dave masterbuilt. I ordered one new from The Music Zoo with the “Tommy” profile and it’s sublime. I’ve owned 2 TA and currently still own 2 Suhr’s though I’ve had others in the past. To me the TA/Suhr are precision machines like a Porsche and my Charvel’s are like a 67 Big Block Corvette. Equally as bad-ass but in a different way.

As far as superstrats go they’re for me the best I’ve tried for under $6000 or so (my hands down favorites being Marchione, but very $$$). Their aged nitro series (or nitro finish guitars) are really where it’s at for tone (well worth it over their poly or oil finish guitars) and they tend to also have the best playability too of their line-up IME supposedly based on their old pre-pro necks

Since a lot of guys here are big Anderson fans I try not to say too much, but I would agree, I’ve tried a good amount and they all sounded sterile to me and I judge guitars really on sound. Suhr’s also sound quite sterile IME, but most of these boutique guitars don’t seem to have tone as much of priority at all in their builds sadly. I don’t think most guitars mentioned on this forum have good tone if I’m being honest, but Charvel Aged Nitro’s (and a few of their other good CS guitars I’ve had) are among the few non-vintage guitars I found inspiring. Here’s a pic below of my favorite one I used to own

View attachment 312330

This looks really great !! Shouldn't have sold it IMHO !

I have several Charvel CS and my 2 latest ones are Red Dave masterbuilt. I ordered one new from The Music Zoo with the “Tommy” profile and it’s sublime. I’ve owned 2 TA and currently still own 2 Suhr’s though I’ve had others in the past. To me the TA/Suhr are precision machines like a Porsche and my Charvel’s are like a 67 Big Block Corvette. Equally as bad-ass but in a different way.
What is a 'Red dave' your the 2nd one to say that

Back