What's your favorite modded / hot rodded Marshall?

• Thread starter Thread starter RealAmpsAreDead
  • Start date Start date
Dude no, that build sounds wicked. It's cool to see how we've each incorporated all the stuff we've chatted about over the years.
Yeah it’s not a build that’s on murder mode like a Monomyth and it was never intended to be. Plenty of amps out there and designs for the super dry/tight/aggressive and honestly I find those way easier. There’s nothing out there showcasing plenty of gain + full body - pedals - onboard boosts. You won’t find it in Cameron, Larry, Jose, nothing. Gain is added but the amps become sonic caricatures of themselves. High gain has always meant thinned out until enmity. What this also means is that this amp cuts like a knife in a mix which sonic hide and go seek can be a nightmare in live situations.

I wanted to cover a sonic ground with this build that literally has never existed in the history of modifications/designs. The second you throw diodes into the mix the harmonic complexity that makes up the large body Marshall sound falls apart. No amount of volume truly recovers it.

I hope to wrap up the prototype sometime this winter.

The second you throw diodes into the mix the harmonic complexity that makes up the large body Marshall sound falls apart. No amount of volume truly recovers it.
Can you elaborate on this — the use of diodes? I've become interested in modding Marshall circuits, but like you, I'd like to retain the essential Marshall character.

Can you elaborate on this — the use of diodes? I've become interested in modding Marshall circuits, but like you, I'd like to retain the essential Marshall character.

Yeah sure. It’s quite easy - dont be tempted to use them if you want to retain the character of your Marshall (big, bold, 3D, growl, etc). Find other ways to add gain and compression.

Yeah sure. It’s quite easy - dont be tempted to use them if you want to retain the character of your Marshall (big, bold, 3D, growl, etc). Find other ways to add gain and compression.
Okay, to play devil's advocate, what do you think of the 2555? This is a quintessential marshall amp and sound too wouldn't you say?

Yeah it’s not a build that’s on murder mode like a Monomyth and it was never intended to be. Plenty of amps out there and designs for the super dry/tight/aggressive and honestly I find those way easier. There’s nothing out there showcasing plenty of gain + full body - pedals - onboard boosts. You won’t find it in Cameron, Larry, Jose, nothing. Gain is added but the amps become sonic caricatures of themselves. High gain has always meant thinned out until enmity. What this also means is that this amp cuts like a knife in a mix which sonic hide and go seek can be a nightmare in live situations.

I wanted to cover a sonic ground with this build that literally has never existed in the history of modifications/designs. The second you throw diodes into the mix the harmonic complexity that makes up the large body Marshall sound falls apart. No amount of volume truly recovers it.

I get around that by focusing on the mid range more when I voice a circuit with diodes. A lot of these types of amps are built in a vacuum of sorts, where people play them alone at home and try to fill out the sonic landscape of bass, mid, and high end and think that's how guitars actually sound. And they do... on a record. But that's because you actually have a bass guitar and post-processing and layering and mixing/mastering. But the guitar is a mid-range instrument. So I focus less on getting a deep low-end and more on a mid-range that really snarls.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's closer to how guitar tracks sounded in the '70s. Think Iron Maiden, Queen, Journey. If you really listen to a lot of the guitar tracks from these bands, the sounds are very squawky and vocal and have a cocked wah timbre. That's what I like at least. So I tune the NFB circuit a bit to get there.

I think ultimately adding another tube gain stage is more ideal. Whether that's through plate-driven tone stack or adding another tube. Diode clipping is certainly easier to implement though.

Shea Monomyth, Hermannson, all make great ones depending on what you're looking for

I think Jeremy @RedPlated and Larry do the best sounding actual marshall mod stuff, IMO, though.

I haven't played one of @glpg80 mods but I would love to, of course

A wizard, bogner, or splawn is kind of it's own thing and not really a "modded" marshall though

Have to disagree big time on diodes…sort of.

Ask Dan if his amp lacks huge bottom end and growl. There is an art to diodes and how to implement them to enhance the character of a modded Marshall rather than destroy it.

Matt is correct in that 99% of the diode clipping amps out there lack certain dynamics. My amps incorporate them in a manner that doesn’t destroy the Marshall sound yet improves the feel, response and dynamics. I do things no one else has done. And it’s the reason a lot of guys like the MOAB. It’s one of the few modded Marshalls that still retains the core sound of an original Marshall. That took a lot of work to make it happen.

I had a couple very experienced players over the other day. We ran through a ton of amps. Very high end stuff. They chose the diode clipping amps over everything else.

Diodes can be dangerous to your tone. Or, do them right and it’ll sound and feel like nothing else out there.

Ask Dan if his amp lacks huge bottom end and growl. There is an art to diodes and how to implement them to enhance the character of a modded Marshall rather than destroy it.

Matt is correct in that 99% of the diode clipping amps out there lack certain dynamics. My amps incorporate them in a manner that doesn’t destroy the Marshall sound yet improves the feel, response and dynamics. I do things no one else has done. And it’s the reason a lot of guys like the MOAB. It’s one of the few modded Marshalls that still retains the core sound of an original Marshall. That took a lot of work to make it happen.

I had a couple very experienced players over the other day. We ran through a ton of amps. Very high end stuff. They chose the diode clipping amps over everything else.

Diodes can be dangerous to your tone. Or, do them right and it’ll sound and feel like nothing else out there.

Yeah as with anything, there's a right and wrong way and a better or worse way to do things. Plug into one of mine and nobody would be able to tell it's got diodes without me telling them. But I'm not doing anything super special/secret to get there.

This ! I have had so many modded Marshalls it makes my head spin. I finally decided to learn to mod my own. Now I have the tone I have always wanted. I call it the Beast !
50 watt and 100 watt versions. Just finished up the 2 white amps, one is going to a bud out in Cali.
👍

Attachments

• 36ABF882-3090-4930-B513-5BC344BA6713.jpeg
    36ABF882-3090-4930-B513-5BC344BA6713.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 49

Nothing? No diodes here

Attachments

• IMG_7672.jpeg
    IMG_7672.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
That sounds really good. And I bet the feel is very good too, going by how easily those notes swell into feedback. But I'm a little concerned about that slightly constipated look on your face while you're playing. How's your fiber intake?

my shits feel like rays of sunshine as the rains down in Africa come to an end

Now the song is stuck in your head and you’re welcome 😎

Also thanks for the comment and yes it was meant to be easy to play and inspiring. If you’re wanting brutal it’s likely not the amp best suited for that requirement but it can hold its own.

I like the one I built. It’s not really true to most Marshall’s but is kinda a middle ground between what I like about Marshall’s and mesas.
Here’s an iPhone clip, with some shitty noodling.

It most certainly doesn't lack any low end 😂

Check out how big the power chord palm mutes on the "oh oh oh oh"s are, even in a shitty phone recording - in the room, you can literally hear the echo of the chug's low end, even though the phone mic doesn't

Yes, I only leave a bit of the diodes in on the "raw/compressed" knob on the Moab, but I've discovered I need them in there for feel reasons moreso than sound reasons - the diodes make it feel easier under the fingers as long as they're dialed in a bit.

We’ve always approached the problem from two different angles - I’m very anti diode and you’ve always loved them and we are in fact solving a similar problem completely differently. Definitely not shitting on Jeremy’s work as he does an amazing job balancing an amp by ear.

We have very similar ears and much mutual respect for builds. I however have never preferred clipping diodes in any topology or location where their impact was significant and warranted over out of circuit completely when also trying to get the feel under the fingers or the pick attack/response. Low end is not my only end goal. I will say however (and Jeremy knows this) I’m super picky on components that make up the difference of not using diodes. Every single detail is accounted for.

Yeah as with anything, there's a right and wrong way and a better or worse way to do things. Plug into one of mine and nobody would be able to tell it's got diodes without me telling them. But I'm not doing anything super special/secret to get there.

Yep I will say I gave them a try and un-named people even gave me sample diodes Cameron’s used and I absolutely cannot stand them anywhere. I always tune them basically out of circuit to where they’re not worth even installing and that includes topologies Jose and not Jose related. I just prefer without. I can put them in an amp to add the aggression but as you know you voice the amp completely differently to boost mids in a frown to make up for it so that it doesn’t go thin tin can city.

Last edited:
We’ve always approached the problem from two different angles - I’m very anti diode and you’ve always loved them and we are in fact solving a similar problem completely differently. Definitely not shitting on Jeremy’s work as he does an amazing job balancing an amp by ear.

We have very similar ears and much mutual respect for builds. I however have never preferred clipping diodes in any topology or location where their impact was significant and warranted over out of circuit completely when also trying to get the feel under the fingers or the pick attack/response. Low end is not my only end goal. I will say however (and Jeremy knows this) I’m super picky on components that make up the difference of not using diodes. Every single detail is accounted for.
I feel the same way about diodes. Don’t care for them. I have had multiple Cameron’s, still do and Fortins. They just are not my thing.
My amp is all tube distortion. Switchable from 3 to 4 gain stages with variable negative feedback and depth control. Amp has more gain than anything I have played 😁. Crunch channel reminds me of a Morin XYZ tone and the beast channel think Langner modded Marshall but with more top end. What I love about it is the sag and feel. The word chewy comes to mind.
Anyway to each there own and there are some guys on here that do awesome mods diodes or not. Respect! 👍

I was late to the party when it comes to modded Marshalls. There are so many options it sent my head spinning.

Lots of good stuff, ideas, concepts, and clips in this thread :yes:

Mad respect to anyone who can mod/build their own amps AND have chops to back it up.

Since all the smart people are congregating here, can someone give me a 30,000 foot view of the various "Mod Lineages"?

Like:

Jose A - original modder/ primarily uses diodes
Soldano - original builds/ xyz
Cameron - both mods/original builds/ primarily uses diodes?
Larry - both mods/original builds/ primarily uses?
Splawn - both mods/original builds/ no diods

Is there a Family Tree of sorts that gives a noob like me a view of it all?

Cameron high gain/low gain Jose are diode based clipping. You can assume anything Jose is diode based unless the builder gives you the option to take them out of circuit (not common)

Cameron aldrich is all tube 4 gain stages hence why I own one.

Splawn amps are original designs and 2203 inspired. His newest builds sound amazing but it’s not Bogner/cameron/Moab/Enmity levels of gain. He tries to capture a wider audience with gig friendly features and wider tonal pallets. He does a great job and I would own a Splawn if I didn’t already have a lot of overlap with what I currently own.

Larry is all original designs with a proprietary negative feedback design that made iced earth’s tones as aggressive as they are. His attention to detail and circuit theory knowledge is proven and solid.

Soldano SLO was actually created from modding Marshalls but is it’s own thing. Mike also had his hands in Yamaha designs too which most people don’t know.

Back