Wizard Wednesdays - Pics and Clips

Sounds great! Your clip captures well the crisp quality Wizard's get. You'll probably crickets here from the Wizard naysayers that haven't actually tried one lol

ill assume that means me :dunno: it sounds ok, not sure crisp is the first thing that comes to mind, its got that wizard drier gain structure and rolled off top end i hear, and theres a lot of low mid build up rumbling going on. it sounds cool, brams sounded cool in his comparison, both better than most clips ive heard, am i now running for my debit card to drop $4k to try one?? no

ill assume that means me :dunno: it sounds ok, not sure crisp is the first thing that comes to mind, its got that wizard drier gain structure and rolled off top end i hear, and theres a lot of low mid build up rumbling going on. it sounds cool, brams sounded cool in his comparison, both better than most clips ive heard, am i now running for my debit card to drop $4k to try one?? no

You're free to think whatever you like man! Not everything is everybody's cup of tea. All good.

I am genuinely curious about what your idea of "crisp" is though. The tight and crunchy sizzle is one of my favorite things about Wizards.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree I bet it would sound killer. I have the Mesa 4x12, but I don't have a Creamback cab, AT4047, or M160 to really duplicate the IR's though. Also I'm not sure I'd be able to record loud enough to get it to sound right.
I'm not blown away with alternatives to the 57 when close mic'ing. Not that I think they are bad or suck or that the other mics you mentioned aren't also top mics and great choices but it's mostly pretty minor, I just don't notice a obvious superior result that would force me to buy a different mic and this is having used some pricey royers and the like in the studio.

If I had money to blow I'd probably close mic my stuff with a Sennheiser 421, which used to be more of a standard but seems to have gotten edged out by the 57. No surprise, the 57 sounds great. I've been gear lusting after the Warm Audio WA44 which is their ribbon condenser copy/tribute to the legendary vintage RCA mics.

Anyways, just tossing around some thoughts. I love the sound of those Modern Classics. Those and some of the older Marshalls guys have posted up have consistently been my favorite heavy music amps sound wise. Would love to hear some clips of that MC in a band setting sometime. Thanks again for sharing.

@VonBonfire I hear you man, the SM57 is what it is for a reason. I pretty much always use it as a baseline because of how clear it makes everything due to the way it emphasizes the highs, but I find other mics that supplement what the 57 lacks to basically always improve things overall. Mics like the M160, R121, AT4047, and even condensers like the TLM 102 and a few others, when used to fill out the mids and lows, are invaluable for blending with the 57 to fill things out.

One mic I'd really love to try is a Soyuz 1973 though. To me it sounds like somebody took an SM57 and made a condenser out of it. Same clarity in the highs but slightly smoother, and maybe more full overall.

Last edited:
Fair enough. Like TheGreatGreen, I’m curious what crisp means to you. For me crisp refreshing upper register and clarity is the first thing I hear and I heard that in clips way before I owned any Wizard, so it’s not just a bias for having one. Maybe some area in the upper register is rolled off, not sure, but another part of it my ears go to is crisp and present to me, but sound is a complex thing I guess. The mids in all Wizard’s are hollow vs Marshall’s of course, the one part I never cared for with them. I hear rumbling in lower frequencies too, which is strange because I never got that in the Wizard’s I had (MC, MTL and currently just a Hell Razor). Maybe it’s something about his IR choices or post stuff done to the recording, I wouldn’t know

I double tracked that tone with the mtl in here. Let me know what you think of that one.

The dry gain thing with wizards and fryettes I definitely go back and forth on. One day I love it, the next I’m like my boosted recto owns this shit lol.

Amp cost is fucked these days. Wizards used to be like THE amp known for being expensive. Now it’s all sorts of stuff. All the vintage stuff or modders who quit building with their insane prices. The other problem with it too is people just pulling prices out of their ass not going off comparable sales, but that’s a whole other deal.

@VonBonfire I hear you man, the SM57 is what it is for a reason. I pretty much always use it as a baseline because of how clear it makes everything due to the way it emphasizes the highs, but I find other mics that supplement what the 57 lacks to basically always improve things overall. Mics like the M160, R121, AT4047, and even condensers like the TLM 102 and a few others, when used to fill out the mids and lows, to be invaluable for blending with the 57 to fill things out.
100 percent. The more mics and channels you have at your disposal to work with the better off you are for building a great tone at a mixing desk. I would love to own any of those mics you listed. The 121 is a great mic, I just don't find it 1400 bucks greater than a 57, just a different flavoring. I would like to try one of the M160s, haven't done that yet and guys are always yakking about how good those are. And I still want a Senn 421 for guitar and live vox.

Fair enough. Like TheGreatGreen, I’m curious what crisp means to you. For me crisp refreshing upper register and clarity is the first thing I hear and I heard that in clips way before I owned any Wizard, so it’s not just a bias for having one. Maybe some area in the upper register is rolled off, not sure, but another part of it my ears go to is crisp and present to me, but sound is a complex thing I guess. The mids in all Wizard’s are hollow vs Marshall’s of course, the one part I never cared for with them. I hear rumbling in lower frequencies too, which is strange because I never got that in the Wizard’s I had (MC, MTL and currently just a Hell Razor). Maybe it’s something about his IR choices or post stuff done, I wouldn’t know

I'll admit, lows in general are something I usually have trouble dialing in with basically all of my clips. For some reason they tend to come out overemphasized. I think it's my monitoring situation. I'll have to look into it and see what's up.

@VonBonfire I hear you man, the SM57 is what it is for a reason. I pretty much always use it as a baseline because of how clear it makes everything due to the way it emphasizes the highs, but I find other mics that supplement what the 57 lacks to basically always improve things overall. Mics like the M160, R121, AT4047, and even condensers like the TLM 102 and a few others, when used to fill out the mids and lows, are invaluable for blending with the 57 to fill things out.

One mic I'd really love to try is a Soyuz 1973 though. To me it sounds like somebody took an SM57 and made a condenser out of it. Same clarity in the highs but slightly smoother, and maybe more full overall.
Love the 57. I usually just dip the 5-6 k spike it adds and it pretty much gets closeish to what I hear in the room.

Pairing with a 160 or 421 is money though.

I get more sucked into mics and preamps than I do guitar gear. And I ain't got money for either of them neither lol.

Noted. Are you still dipping the spike on the 57 when utilizing these other mics in conjunction with it or do you just let them full complement each other without altering EQs?

I'll admit, lows in general are something I usually have trouble dialing in with basically all of my clips. For some reason they tend to come out overemphasized. I think it's my monitoring situation. I'll have to look into it and see what's up.
If you’re using IRs, then it’s definitely your monitoring situation. Highly recommend sound id reference. If it’s your own micd clip I feel like sometimes it’s how hot I’m running the preamp sometimes and not paying attention. I wind up coming in too hot and it sounds like shit lol. I also put my mic right on the grill cloth to make it sound big. So backing off there if you’re running the lows super big. I need to experiment more. Tough spot micing right now with my littles at home.

Yeah if you can just fix that one part I think it’ll probably be just right. Low end rumble is definitely not a Wizard characteristic I’ve heard, but everything else I heard seemed pretty on point imo. I suck at recording myself and have my own struggles haha. My recordings often come out overgained on the mics somehow or anemic/weak. I have trouble getting a good middle ground. Sometimes I get it just right, but not much consistency. It’s hard (for me at least)

If it’s your own micd clip I feel like sometimes it’s how hot I’m running the preamp sometimes and not paying attention. I wind up coming in too hot and it sounds like shit lol. I also put my mic right on the grill cloth to make it sound big
This also where I think I struggle most. I either go too far in one direction or the other with the pre’s and still not sure how to consistently find a good sweet spot on them. Sometimes I do and it sounds great, but recording for me has been like a blind squirrel that occasionally finds a nut lol

@TheGreatGreen not trying to hijack here at all. But I did this mix a little bit ago with the hermansson and that sound id really helped me get the low end better than I used to. And this is low tuned, double bass, blast beats.

Hermansson really wasn’t my thing. But still think I got it sounding good.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/99tb...usal.wav?rlkey=p3lebxkbpv6whmq4gxq72t2xl&dl=0

You’re good! As far as I’m concerned, this is a Wizard thread I just happened to start. Post away my dude.

Noted. Are you still dipping the spike on the 57 when utilizing these other mics in conjunction with it or do you just let them full complement each other without altering EQs?

Usually I dip, hate giving this answer… ultimately it depends. If in context it cuts through a bit more I might keep it. If it doesn’t I cut.

Love the 57. I usually just dip the 5-6 k spike it adds and it pretty much gets closeish to what I hear in the room.

Yeah that's a good pairing. Have you tried a good old SM58? It has a little less peaking 5-7k so it might suit your ear nicely.

Not sure why this guy used orange for both plots, but that aside:
SM57 vs SM58.png

@TheGreatGreen - nice work man.

Back