Yeah, I Won’t Be Shipping Amps Again…

• Thread starter Thread starter skoora
  • Start date Start date
I shipped a Mark V for my dad and it took forever to get tracking from UPS. Everything went smoothly thank God. You poor bastards are just getting bent over and fucked tho. Geez…sorry guys. Hate it for you!

I worked for ups as a Christmas temp one year in college. I was the poor bastard unloading the tractor trailers. There’s no way for them to be gentle and get the job done. On peak day I unloaded 7.5 trailers in a little over three hours. Your stuff will be thrown and dropped and kicked and stepped on and buried. Pack accordingly to survive that shit.
I think that’s the key right there. Pack it with the expectation that it will be handled roughly.

I worked for ups as a Christmas temp one year in college. I was the poor bastard unloading the tractor trailers. There’s no way for them to be gentle and get the job done. On peak day I unloaded 7.5 trailers in a little over three hours. Your stuff will be thrown and dropped and kicked and stepped on and buried. Pack accordingly to survive that shit.
Yup, around ‘90 I worked at UPS for about a year loading trailers. I had three to load and they would bury you alive with packages. There was no way to keep up AND gaf about loading them carefully.

I lost a Wizard a few years back. Had a hole right through the middle of it when delivered.

Item was brand new, fully insured, and still in the original box from Rick.

UPS asked for pics, and also for Rick to provide information regarding Wizard shipping materials. Everything asked for was provided within 24 hours, and Rick got involved and sent all the stuff which was requested.

Of course, none of that made the slightest difference.

I raised hell, so the local UPS Store appealed the denial through their franchise channel. Complete waste of time as UPS wouldn't even refund me the shipping or insurance cost. Think about that. Not only did I eat the cost of a Wizard, but I essentially paid to have it destroyed...

The shipping companies are engaging in an organized effort to criminally defraud customers on a grand scale, and we all know it. They simply pocket the insurance money and systematically deny all claims. Government regulators could have put a stop to this kind of corporate scamming long ago, but the people who could do something about it are as corrupt as the scammers themselves. It's sad, but the "little people" have been conditioned to accept that we have no choice but to tolerate this kind of abuse.

Last edited:
I lost a Wizard a few years back. Had a hole right through the middle of it when delivered.

Item was brand new, fully insured, and still in the original box from Rick.

UPS asked for pics, and also for Rick to provide information regarding Wizard shipping materials. Everything asked for was provided within 24 hours, and Rick got involved and sent all the stuff which was requested.

None of which made the slightest difference.

I raised hell, of course. So the local UPS Store appealed the denial through their franchise channel. Complete waste of time as UPS wouldn't even refund me the shipping or insurance cost. Think about that. Not only did I eat the cost of a Wizard, but I essentially paid to have it destroyed...

The shipping companies are engaging in an organized effort to criminally defraud customers on a grand scale, and we all know it. They simply pocket the insurance money and deny all claims. It's WAY past time for this kind of corporate behavior to be brought to heel.
Didn’t Rick cover it all? Since he was responsible for getting the amp to you?

Didn’t Rick cover it all? Since he was responsible for getting the amp to you?
It arrived to me from Wizard without a scratch.

I had too much gear, so I sold this one and UPS destroyed it during shipping. Rick's only involvement was in providing some info on Wizard packaging materials.

Just when the Game thought he’d never get the troublemaker, Lulu leaned in and worked her magic…

1691992245086.jpeg

It arrived to me from Wizard without a scratch.

I had too much gear, so I sold this one and UPS destroyed it during shipping. Rick's only involvement was in providing some info on Wizard packaging materials.

I was gonna say.. Rick ships Canada post/USPS

His packing has gotten better, but still not good enough for me. When I’ve shipped wizards, I put his box inside another larger box with a lot more protection

I’m curious how Pirateship works cost-wise, because it seems illogical that inserting a middleman should make anything cheaper.

I just shipped a 101B back to the mothership in LA. Fully insured was 133 bucks from Hawaii through pirateship. That was 60 bucks cheaper than the UPS store quoted me. Don't know how they do it but I'm a fan.

Has anyone actually been involved in a claim with Pirateship and been paid, or is this just a cheaper version of the same scam being run by UPS and Fedex?

Has anyone actually been involved in a claim with Pirateship and been paid, or is this just a cheaper version of the same scam being run by UPS and Fedex?
from the quick look, I took on their website it looks like they might use their own third-party insurance. You’re still using UPS etc. but just getting a discounted rate. But the insurance is probably not with the carrier itself.

Invest in a road/flight case for expensive amps. Anyone buying/selling a multi-thousand dollar amp shouldn’t scoff at a quality $500 case.

Last edited:
Over pack, and double box. Those guys couldn’t pack and ship bubble wrap in a box. It would arrive deflated lol

FedEx absolutely insure instruments for more than 1000. So weird.

I really really hate shipping an amp if I don't have the original packing. UPS will do anything to weasel out of paying a claim. You can pay ups to pack it for you then they will have to pay if they fuck it up but it cost way more. Everytime I don't do this, I'm a nervous wreck. Especially if it doesn't get delivered on time. The longer they have it the greater chance they will screw it up.

Back