Friedman Vintage Plexi

Too many options for post gain FX for a non master circuit these days. Plus with today’s recording going more IR and direct and utilizing those options to do so, why compromise a circuit if it’s easily remedied down the chain?
I have several amps and one PS2 that I run them all through. Lot easier having one loop to leave everything that’s “loopy” in and just change the amp.
Exactly. With load box and amp switcher options, it's actually the best time to own NMV and classic circuit designs with no loops.

Just adding to the chorus that these initial clips sounds excellent! Also agree that I like how it seems to have a good deal of gain (y)

Really curious to hear this, the Suhr SLs, and the new Metro Metroplex MKII back to back.

Not knowing any better, I purchased a Metro zero loss loop to install in my Metro JTM45.

Every person I have asked, whether in person or on a forum, have told me not to install it.
I wouldnt be happy.

My PS2 gives me a good loop.

Should have done research before the purchase...
Might as well list it since I am thinking about it.

$95 shipped.

Haven't heard a bad clip yet but 2700USD? I have to think that the Royalist MK III is right there with additional functionality and built in attenuator over the variac.

I have a Granger Plexi .... that has a loop in it ............ it's useless ...... sounds like absolute garbage .....

I wired in a bypass switch .... but I think I'm just going to take it out .

I have a Granger Plexi .... that has a loop in it ............ it's useless ...... sounds like absolute garbage .....

I didn't like his loop either years ago when I tried it.. metro loop is the best one. The loop in my Bugera sounds pretty good but I don't like the PPIMV in the amp, sounds terrible even knocked down half way. Attenuation is the best way to control these NMV.

I've had almost every Friedman. Still own a Jake 20w. None sound exactly like a real Marshall. A 2203 is my all time favorite amp
No 'Thump' knob needed - it's all in there with 100 watts and drake transformers. Just add 4x12 cab and Les Paul +put your seat belt on. My ears are still ringing from this past weekends loud jamming! :m17:

I didn't like his loop either years ago when I tried it.. metro loop is the best one. The loop in my Bugera sounds pretty good but I don't like the PPIMV in the amp, sounds terrible even knocked down half way. Attenuation is the best way to control these NMV.
I have a Metro Loop in mine ...... I swapped it out for a Headfirst Loop .... thinking that was the problem ......

I was ignorant to the " world of the plexi " now I know ...... lol

This thing sounds killer to me. It's purpose-built to do a "sound" or a "thing" and that's what it does. No, it's not super versatile. No, it isn't super high gain. No, it doesn't have modern conveniences like a FX Loop. But it's not supposed to be those things. It's supposed to be "VH in a Box" and that's what it sounds like to me! Also, the price point of $2800 is not too bad in today's gear world. (They'll be selling for $2k or so used eventually.)

I don't know. A great clone, with Merren Trans and all the modern repro 'good stuff' caps etc....still doesn't measure up to a good early 70s real deal Marshall.
With what these will cost, around 4K I can still get the real thing and sound better.
IMO, YMMV.
I’ve built a few clones and they never measured up. Then I built my ‘69 clone and that amp has it. I’ve actually bought and sold a few 70’s Marshalls (and brought them up to spec) just to compare side-by-side and they are extremely close. And if I had to choose…I’d pick my clone. I still have the ‘70 Super PA that I disconnected 2 channels and Ed-spec’d the other 2. It’s killer but I think my clone is a few percent better.

FWIW, it has MM iron (not their typical suggestions tho) and my ‘68 clone has Merrens. The ‘69 does the Super Lead thing way better. It also has NOS Mustards.

I guess my point is that a clone CAN sound every bit as good but most clones (at least mine) don’t.

That would definitely be interesting. I’d also really like to hear a back to back between the Suhr and Friedman. I don’t think I’ve heard any clips of the Suhrs that I like as much as the Friedman clips from NAMM. maybe except Pete Thorns SL67 clips but that was more of a mid gain rock thing
Have you watched Lugo’s comparison of a ‘70s Marshall with the SL68? To my ears, the Marshall won convincingly. The SL68 didn’t have the gain. But these clips of the Friedman sound killer.

Have you watched Lugo’s comparison of a ‘70s Marshall with the SL68? To my ears, the Marshall won convincingly. It didn’t have the gain. But these clips of the Friedman sound killer.
I did see some of it but just a few bits. But in all fairness, the MK1 SL68 doesn’t have a bright cap so not really fair (unless James had one added?)

This thing sounds killer to me. It's purpose-built to do a "sound" or a "thing" and that's what it does. No, it's not super versatile. No, it isn't super high gain. No, it doesn't have modern conveniences like a FX Loop. But it's not supposed to be those things. It's supposed to be "VH in a Box" and that's what it sounds like to me! Also, the price point of $2800 is not too bad in today's gear world. (They'll be selling for $2k or so used eventually.)
I disagree. A good plexi is one of the most versatile amps around. Most of the 70’s metal panels don’t have good clean tones but late 60’s, like the one this is based off should be able to get great cleans and edge of breakup, AC/DC and flamethrower rock. I suspect Dave as a maker, even though he says cranked is best, isn’t resting on that on how much the amp can do. Or even focusing on VH per se. But…we won’t know until we get to put it through its paces. I’ll be interested to see if the Presence works with low MVC settings, as it often doesn’t with a PPIVM and cranking the presence is often what brings a plexi to the good place with a Gibson.

Old Marshalls blowing up was probably because the setting on the PT is for 110; while our voltage has been 120-125 for 50 yrs. Hasn't been 110 in a LONG time. I understand some areas might be lower, but any socket I've measured is 120+. That's why so many old Marshalls
These are the rectangular yellow Phillips Chiclets, same as the originals in my 72 trem. The difference, after getting rid of the orange drops was astounding. Super obvious. And, the whole set was 60 bucks vs 300 or more that all Mustards would've cost.
In your case, you used Mustards and I don't have any experience changing stuff out for those. So I can't say how different, if at all, they would sound.
My 72 had the Mustards as well. I don’t think any Marshall I had ever had any of those. Either Mustards, legos or the big blue ones my 67 has.

Those Granger loops sound like crap regardless the amp

Back