Another pick thread

EyesOfTheSouth!

I spent 4 hours today going through boxes and boxes of picks I’ve accumulated over the last 25 years. I went through a collection phase and have just about every kind of pick you can think of from run of the mill to the most obscure.

When it boils down to it, the ones I actually prefer to use are the ones pictured below. My favorite is probably the Snarling Dogs 1.14mm. But you have to get lucky on them because the formula varies drastically. The 2nd photo shows two new ones. The brighter/glossy one is much harder and has superior attack/tone. The darker looking one has much more flex and has a dull tone.

Dunlop Tortex has also changed drastically over the years. My favorite ones are about 20 years old and are harder with a rounded edge. The newer ones are softer, squared, and have a duller tone.

What’s your favorite pick?

IMG_8810.jpeg
IMG_8811.jpeg

I went through tons of different types over the years but ended up landing in the ballpark of larger jazz 3 type picks over the past 3-4 years.

I've been pretty set on the Dunlop Flow 1.5's for ages now though, enough to hang on to compared to the tiny jazz 3's but also not a super sharp point.

I used to play standard sized Tortex picks, but a few years ago I changed to Tortex Jazz III XL picks and couldn't be happier. Not the small Jazz III picks, but Jazz III XL. Same shape as the Jazz III but slightly larger, right between the Jazz III and standard Tortex pick sizes. I love these things. I find the Jazz III is too small but these things are perfect. Standard Tortex picks seem way too unnecessarily bulky to me now.

4q21Cuc.jpeg

4ymfjOz.png

Last edited:
I used to play standard sized Tortex picks, but a few years ago I changed to Tortex Jazz III XL picks and couldn't be happier. Not the small Jazz III picks, but Jazz III XL.

4q21Cuc.jpeg

4ymfjOz.png

They're the same shape as the Jazz III but slightly larger, right between the Jazz III and standard Tortex pick sizes. I love these things. I find the Jazz III is too small but these things are perfect. Standard Tortex picks seem way too unnecessarily bulky to me now.

Crazy those are the same that my husband uses. I like them pretty okay when they're the easiest one to find laying around when I'm feeling lazy. The more beveled corners are nicer than the tortex, but I cut mine to match old Gibson heart picks I came across as a kid. It makes the grip nice for me.

Jazz III red
Tortex Jazz III purple that I bought dozens of in the 90's and still have a stash of
Blue chip jazz 50

Depends on the guitar and what's within reach at any point in time but any of those in equal preference which is odd considering the price difference

I used to play standard sized Tortex picks, but a few years ago I changed to Tortex Jazz III XL picks and couldn't be happier. Not the small Jazz III picks, but Jazz III XL. Same shape as the Jazz III but slightly larger, right between the Jazz III and standard Tortex pick sizes. I love these things. I find the Jazz III is too small but these things are perfect. Standard Tortex picks seem way too unnecessarily bulky to me now.

4q21Cuc.jpeg

4ymfjOz.png
Never heard of hem. As I do have a few Jazz III's that are nice for practice, I find them a bit small, so these could fit the bill as a good in between.

By the way, I also like those Ibanez Sand Grip ones... or the ones with the rubberized texture on it for added grip.

I spent 4 hours today going through boxes and boxes of picks I’ve accumulated over the last 25 years. I went through a collection phase and have just about every kind of pick you can think of from run of the mill to the most obscure.

When it boils down to it, the ones I actually prefer to use are the ones pictured below. My favorite is probably the Snarling Dogs 1.14mm. But you have to get lucky on them because the formula varies drastically. The 2nd photo shows two new ones. The brighter/glossy one is much harder and has superior attack/tone. The darker looking one has much more flex and has a dull tone.

Dunlop Tortex has also changed drastically over the years. My favorite ones are about 20 years old and are harder with a rounded edge. The newer ones are softer, squared, and have a duller tone.

What’s your favorite pick?

View attachment 288911View attachment 288914
That 000 tortex is the shape and sharpness i like

Back