Another pick thread

đź’•đź’•đź’•

1708265253383.jpeg

Dunlop Tortex Flows in a variety of gauges. I like switching them up. I prefer the aggressive crunchy tone of Tortex over Delrin, Ultex, Graphite, Celluloid, Nylon, and whatever those clear glossy picks are made of.

Used JazzIII Ultex for years but last year when I started learning Yngwie’s picking technique I changed to 1.5mm Dunlop Delrins. Love these picks!

Dunlop Tortex Flows in a variety of gauges. I like switching them up. I prefer the aggressive crunchy tone of Tortex over Delrin, Ultex, Graphite, Celluloid, Nylon, and whatever those clear glossy picks are made of.

I am the same. I use all the colors of the Tortex. I tend to use yellow more because I play fair amount of funk and it sounds and feels right for those techniques. But still thick enough for chugging. If all chug I prefer green or blue feel and tone.

I compared the sound of all the various shapes and tips. I just like the sound of the regular best. Isn't always the best for technique. It has almost a ripping sound on the attack that I like for rhythm.

1708237638987.jpg

I am the same. I use all the colors of the Tortex. I tend to use yellow more because I play fair amount of funk and it sounds and feels right for those techniques. But still thick enough for chugging. If all chug I prefer green or blue feel and tone.

View attachment 289280
Same here; and I chug more than I 'funk', although my lead influences are definitely 70's based.
But yeah, Tortex green and yellow for me, occasionally blue. Even have some purple (1.14mm IIRC), but I find them too stiff for fast riffing/speed metal licks. It seems counter-intuitive, but when I play these Maiden/Anthrax or even Iced Earth-type accelerating gallops, I find I have more control with thinner picks (with yellow being the MINIMUM here!) than with thicker picks.
That's also where those Dava Control picks come into play. I hate regular Nylon picks with a passion, but these are really nice.
1708356345890.png

I Used the 1.00 blue tortex for years & i would buy them in bags of 72. One day i ran out approx 5 years ago & borrowed a .88mm green one from Detroit1973 i haven't looked back. i just bought a gross of them.

A shout out to @TheGreatGreen ! :cheers::rock:
I received my Jazz III XL Tortex .73mm today, together with the Ultex Sharp 0.90mm

Man, I love those Jazz III XL ones! And like he said, the regular Tortex suddenly feels too bulky to play. They make me more agile around the fretboard!
I did notice that the Ultex seemed to reinforce the low-end grunt more; if you play a heavy riff in E like Anthrax's "I am the Law", the Ultex seems to bring out more 'fundamental'. This is all nit...picking.... (bazinga!) of course.

See the size difference below.

Attachments

• Speedys picks.jpg
    Speedys picks.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 18
A shout out to @TheGreatGreen ! :cheers::rock:
I received my Jazz III XL Tortex .73mm today, together with the Ultex Sharp 0.90mm

Man, I love those Jazz III XL ones! And like he said, the regular Tortex suddenly feels too bulky to play. They make me more agile around the fretboard!
I did notice that the Ultex seemed to reinforce the low-end grunt more; if you play a heavy riff in E like Anthrax's "I am the Law", the Ultex seems to bring out more 'fundamental'. This is all nit...picking.... (bazinga!) of course.

See the size difference below.

Hell yeah man! :cheers: I love these things, they're the perfect middle ground between the durability and solid attack of the Tortex, with the surgical control of the Jazz III's.

I never thought I'd move away from standard Tortex either but I tried the Jazz III XL on accident a couple years back and haven't put it down since.

Yellow (.73) Tortex is the one I use most lately but my overall fave are the Graphtec TUSQ picks (.68 or .88)

I do like the orange Snarling Dogs too

I will add, several years ago someone gave me a pile of those "Gravity" picks that were trendy at the time and they are by far the shittiest picks I've ever used

It's the only pick I've ever tried that just actually sounds bad, and it's super apparent

They're made out of like straight up plexiglass or something and the beveled edge on them also sucks ass

It blows my mind that there are people out there that swear by those

The smaller Jazz style Daddario 1.5 Black Ice...prob my fave... but really anything smaller than normal and at least 1.14

I'm pretty comfortable with the Lindsay Buckingham thing, but when using a pick I generally prefer a heavy pick. Medium is ok too I suppose. Fender, Dunlop, whatever. I've used a quarter.

What I’m currently using.(depending on mood, and guitar)
1-C34-F410-019-C-4148-8-C49-6-BC86-E04-BA3-A.jpg
What exactly is that triangle, Dunlop? I thought I had the exact same one brand new that I knew I hadn't used in my stash. Took it out, it's a 1.4mm. Tone is glassy but yours looks like something else to me.

20240221_002659.jpg

Back