Another pick thread

These are my top four. The huffshmid brass, ohm titaniun, winspear rassmusen, and the vpick screamer

Attachments

• PXL_20240221_025039698.jpg
    PXL_20240221_025039698.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
What exactly is that triangle, Dunlop? I thought I had the exact same one brand new that I knew I hadn't used in my stash. Took it out, it's a 1.4mm. Tone is glassy but yours looks like something else to me.

View attachment 289694
It’s the Akira Takasaki signature pick, by Dunlop.
I’m not 100% sold on them yet. But, they’re still pretty nice! They have a nice feel when you hit the string, and there doesn’t seem to be as much of a
“click” as the Petrucci picks have. My one grump is that they are a bit on the large size, compared to what I’m used to.

My initial assessment of it being glassy isn't correct now that I have been trying it out this past week. The pick is excellent. I typically use a 1mm and didn't think a 1.4mm would work as well as it does. It rips through the strings in a way thinner picks might drag against the wound strings.

These are my top four. The huffshmid brass, ohm titaniun, winspear rassmusen, and the vpick screamer

What's the scoop with that Ohm Titanium? How much do they run? I like that polished edge. I just picked up some Big West Creation Brass and Stainless steel picks, but they're not really polished and I can hear the clacking when I pick on the high strings.

Here's my current. JP & Prodigy picks with holes drilled out for grip. Big West Creations Brass & Stainless Steel picks. The stainless one is pretty heavy. Looking into picks that aren't going to wear down in a few weeks.

HIfJr3rw.jpeg

Just ordered these heavier pucks after trying the 1.4mm. The Black Raven triangles I normally use have a matte finish that makes them easy to hold into so I'm trying them in 1.26mm and the ernie ball is a 1.5mm.
Screenshot_20240229-190256_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240229-190233_Chrome.jpg

What's the scoop with that Ohm Titanium? How much do they run? I like that polished edge. I just picked up some Big West Creation Brass and Stainless steel picks, but they're not really polished and I can hear the clacking when I pick on the high strings.

Here's my current. JP & Prodigy picks with holes drilled out for grip. Big West Creations Brass & Stainless Steel picks. The stainless one is pretty heavy. Looking into picks that aren't going to wear down in a few weeks.

View attachment 292106
No chirp on the titanium. Not scratchy either. It was 20 and one of the best i have used by far.

I also love the v pick screamer, and very much recommend it. The rassmusen is a metal players dream. No bend and sharp as hell. But i havent put a ton of time with it yet. The v pick has been my go to. Before that, it was the brass huffschmid. For the next few weeks, i will play with the OHM. It has been great so far

That ernie ball of yours looks really nice. How does that one play? And more importantly, how long does it last?

No, it is the same material
Ok. Cause I notice a difference in how they wear. I Used one for a Month & Then the other....The Intune version felt cheap & wore out faster. I wonder if that has anything to do with the process that dunlop does right before a batch is finished & ready for sale.

I've been using Dunlop Tortex standards forever. I usually play .88 but I also use .73 or 1.0 for different guitars, tunings & string gauges.

Oddly enough, they're not even my favorite picks. When I was younger, it was super annoying to keep any type of specialty picks around, and it made more sense just to use something you could easily find anywhere.

Dunlop Ultex 1.14 mm here(NOT the sharps)....but you have to break them in for the attack to get right which usually means about 4 hours or so of heavy practice...then they're perfect...after that no scratchiness on the wounds, great attack on the high strings....but they go over the strings really smooth. They last...but you gotta break them in. I usually scratch them up with a blade for extra grip.
IMG_8405.JPG

Last edited:
I spent 4 hours today going through boxes and boxes of picks I’ve accumulated over the last 25 years. I went through a collection phase and have just about every kind of pick you can think of from run of the mill to the most obscure.

When it boils down to it, the ones I actually prefer to use are the ones pictured below. My favorite is probably the Snarling Dogs 1.14mm. But you have to get lucky on them because the formula varies drastically. The 2nd photo shows two new ones. The brighter/glossy one is much harder and has superior attack/tone. The darker looking one has much more flex and has a dull tone.

Dunlop Tortex has also changed drastically over the years. My favorite ones are about 20 years old and are harder with a rounded edge. The newer ones are softer, squared, and have a duller tone.

What’s your favorite pick?

View attachment 288911View attachment 288914

I think I have some of those snarling dogs picks laying around from about 20 years ago. I feel like I remember them coming in a tin or something. “Cat’s tongue grip”

No chirp on the titanium. Not scratchy either. It was 20 and one of the best i have used by far.

I also love the v pick screamer, and very much recommend it. The rassmusen is a metal players dream. No bend and sharp as hell. But i havent put a ton of time with it yet. The v pick has been my go to. Before that, it was the brass huffschmid. For the next few weeks, i will play with the OHM. It has been great so far

That ernie ball of yours looks really nice. How does that one play? And more importantly, how long does it last?

20 isn't bad, I'll have to message the guy on instagram. The ernie ball is a prodigy 2mm. I like the attack and pinch harmonics come easy on it, but after maybe 2 months of playing frequently the tip rounds down and it loses that attack, kind of a pain in the ass. I've been exploring metal and stone picks, haven't really found "the one" yet. Hopefully Ohm fits the bill.

20 isn't bad, I'll have to message the guy on instagram. The ernie ball is a prodigy 2mm. I like the attack and pinch harmonics come easy on it, but after maybe 2 months of playing frequently the tip rounds down and it loses that attack, kind of a pain in the ass. I've been exploring metal and stone picks, haven't really found "the one" yet. Hopefully Ohm fits the bill.
2 months isnt horrible. Keep me posted on any badass ones you find. Especially stone sounds cool.as hell

20 isn't bad, I'll have to message the guy on instagram.
It's a tiny bit cheaper if you don't want any custom options. A stock shape with the stock OHMlogo on it is 17 USD shipped, up to 5mm thick I believe before there are additional charges. Custom work starts at 20 USD shipped. I have a pick on order as well that's been making it's way over to the US from Finland, and I was quoted $20 for it as well because I requested specific profiles for the edge and tip beyond the stock shape he uses. I think @Smashedguitaris⸸ got the stock flow shape with the only customization being the inverted crosses, but I'm not sure. Otto also takes orders through his email if you prefer that to social media: ohmpicks@gmail.com

It's a tiny bit cheaper if you don't want any custom options. A stock shape with the stock OHMlogo on it is 17 USD shipped, up to 5mm thick I believe before there are additional charges. Custom work starts at 20 USD shipped. I have a pick on order as well that's been making it's way over to the US from Finland, and I was quoted $20 for it as well because I requested specific profiles for the edge and tip beyond the stock shape he uses. I think @Smashedguitaris⸸ got the stock flow shape with the only customization being the inverted crosses, but I'm not sure. Otto also takes orders through his email if you prefer that to social media: ohmpicks@gmail.com
I told him to trap the soul of a vegan inside of it

Back