Bogner Gallery: Post up your Bogner rig pictures here...

f086daea36e6afdfff35af9cefce8ac2-d344m7v.jpg

TheMagicEight":q79orqun said:
Glimpse":q79orqun said:
So... uhh... yeah... two XTCs :scared:
So which do you prefer?

I just got the 20th this past Sunday night (Super Bowl Sunday). It's loaded with EL-34s and supposedly it was originally ordered by Brad. I haven't spent enough time with it to really have a good opinion honestly (it hasn't even been a week yet and I haven't been around that much this week to play either).

There are some differences for sure. I've owned the Classic for over a year now, and it has been my favorite amp bar none over anything else I've owned or demoed. I never really dug the 101bs... they're just too congested and compressed for me. I dig the Classic's more open, less compressed, woodier vibe over the 101b.

Now, the 20th definitely has a shift in the mids... more upper mid range than lower. That's obvious right out of the gate. And the feel is different. It's tighter and doesn't have the rubber band, elastic feel of the Classic. That's not necessarily a good or bad thing; it's just different and each player would have to figure out which they prefer. That's the number one thing I'm having to "adjust" too really, as it just doesn't have the "give" the Classic has.

Now, they both have different brands of tubes in them, so that's going to have a big impact on the overall tone. So I've been keeping that in mind too. But one thing that I've encountered is, at least from everything that I've read and heard, is that the blue channel on the 20th is supposed to have more gain. Well... honestlly I think my Classic has more gain? :confused: That's something I'm pretty confused about. The red channel is definitely "different" than the Classic's whereas to me there's not a big difference between the blue and the red channels; on the 20th there is a noticeable shift when you change the channels.

Now I definitely need more time with the 20th to make up my mind. My plan was to try out the 20th, see if it was really the bee's knees as everyone makes it out to be, but only keep one and sell the other. The blue channel gain difference to me is kind of weird, and I need to keep tweaking and honestly it might be the difference in the tubes.

Both are fantastic amps and you can't go wrong with either. I dig the looks of both (the plexi headshell on the 20th is badass!) but for some reason I have always loved the reflective chrome front and silver piping of the Classic.

I'm gonna need more time to figure out which one is gonna win! :D

Glimpse":2uijeowt said:
TheMagicEight":2uijeowt said:
Glimpse":2uijeowt said:
So... uhh... yeah... two XTCs :scared:
So which do you prefer?

I just got the 20th this past Sunday night (Super Bowl Sunday). It's loaded with EL-34s and supposedly it was originally ordered by Brad. I haven't spent enough time with it to really have a good opinion honestly (it hasn't even been a week yet and I haven't been around that much this week to play either).

There are some differences for sure. I've owned the Classic for over a year now, and it has been my favorite amp bar none over anything else I've owned or demoed. I never really dug the 101bs... they're just too congested and compressed for me. I dig the Classic's more open, less compressed, woodier vibe over the 101b.

Now, the 20th definitely has a shift in the mids... more upper mid range than lower. That's obvious right out of the gate. And the feel is different. It's tighter and doesn't have the rubber band, elastic feel of the Classic. That's not necessarily a good or bad thing; it's just different and each player would have to figure out which they prefer. That's the number one thing I'm having to "adjust" too really, as it just doesn't have the "give" the Classic has.

Now, they both have different brands of tubes in them, so that's going to have a big impact on the overall tone. So I've been keeping that in mind too. But one thing that I've encountered is, at least from everything that I've read and heard, is that the blue channel on the 20th is supposed to have more gain. Well... honestlly I think my Classic has more gain? :confused: That's something I'm pretty confused about. The red channel is definitely "different" than the Classic's whereas to me there's not a big difference between the blue and the red channels; on the 20th there is a noticeable shift when you change the channels.

Now I definitely need more time with the 20th to make up my mind. My plan was to try out the 20th, see if it was really the bee's knees as everyone makes it out to be, but only keep one and sell the other. The blue channel gain difference to me is kind of weird, and I need to keep tweaking and honestly it might be the difference in the tubes.

Both are fantastic amps and you can't go wrong with either. I dig the looks of both (the plexi headshell on the 20th is badass!) but for some reason I have always loved the reflective chrome front and silver piping of the Classic.

I'm gonna need more time to figure out which one is gonna win! :D
Sounds cool! I don't really feel the 20th Blue has any more / less gain than other Ecstasy amps. I keep both of my brightness switches (blue & red) on B2; you get a little more gain on them plus a lot more clarity. To be honest though, if I'm just banging out eighth notes on an A chord, I have a hard time telling the difference between blue and red on my 20th. That's a welcome contrast to the 101b I had. Never tried a classic.

The Bogner Alchemist seems to get a bad rap and I must say when I initially got mine it was just alright – some days it was fine and others it just plain sounded like crap. I changed out all the tubes – Tung-Sol power tubes and JJ electronic pre-amp tubes. I also re-biased the power tubes to 27. I have absolutely no complaints with this amp now. For the price it’s a good amp IMO. :cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_2180.JPG
    IMG_2180.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 9,325
  • Music Room009.JPG
    Music Room009.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 9,331
Sold the 2x12 cab and got this instead:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There's no doubt that this is going to be my setup for a long time, until I decide to get a better cab someday.

Well, it's been a busy two days. My rig went from this:

to this:

and finally (and I do mean finally!) to this:

Thanks to leftydave for the trade and good comms!

:) Roy says thanx for Siegfried & Roy, die beiden weissen Muschimaeuse. :confused:

Attachments

• P5170001.JPG
    P5170001.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8,915
  • Bogner Siegfried & Roy.JPG
    Bogner Siegfried & Roy.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 8,908
Siegfried":jmsf40se said:
Siegfried says thanx to Roy & Siegfried :rock: :D
Alles Gute Günni ;)
...diese beiden dunklen Biester sehen ziemlich geil aus! Lass uns Krach machen, lass uns einfach komplett durchdrehen und auf alles scheissen. Herrlich, diese amp-Schlacht
Ich pack noch einen drauf...

Attachments

• Bogner 20th anniversary XTC 6L6 and EL 34 heads (1).JPG
    Bogner 20th anniversary XTC 6L6 and EL 34 heads (1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 8,895
Roy":3w1g6ov8 said:
Siegfried":3w1g6ov8 said:
Alles Gute Günni ;)
...diese beiden dunklen Biester sehen ziemlich geil aus! Lass uns Krach machen, lass uns einfach komplett durchdrehen und auf alles scheissen. Herrlich, diese amp-Schlacht

...na wo hast Du die denn her - das's ja niedlich bei Dir im Wohnzimmer ;) :D :LOL: :LOL:

Niilz":2n555f7t said:
Roy":2n555f7t said:
Siegfried":2n555f7t said:
Alles Gute Günni ;)

...na wo hast Du die denn her - das's ja niedlich bei Dir im Wohnzimmer ;) :D :LOL: :LOL:
...ein Typ namens Nilz hatte mir die Teile rüber geschoben wie Franzbrötchen. Er meinte, ich sollte es nach gesicherter Qualität auch ruhig mal mit "Mengen" versuchen :yes:
@Siegfried: Das Ding mit der Class A/AB Schaltung war unter der Gürtellinie und ein nahezu vernichtender Schlag durch das Imperium. Ich werde mir R2D2 schnappen und versuchen den Todestern zu manipulieren. Entweder versuche ich es mit einem untergeschobenen Tequilla Suicide und wenn das nicht hilft kramt die Alte mit die Handtasche den Schlachring raus! Dann dürfte es sich mit Lord Vader (EL34) & und dem Imperator (6L6) erledigt haben!

Back