Boss Katana

So at least 3 of us ordered. Hopefully Dan will be kind and put some jelly up there or even let you wear a clothespin on your nose. Tossing salad can be rough....

Gsxrbusa":1w1sgou2 said:
atrox":1w1sgou2 said:
Girlfriend went to bed early last night, so i plugged my katana into my Marshall cab and grabbed my San Dimas. 2 hours later i emerged from my basement (I barely ever play more than 20 minutes at home).

My cheapest rig i have ever owned. Free USA Charvel. Free Marshall cab and a $314 Katana head (i bought a demo unit). I'd put that rig up against pretty much anything. While i prefer my Friedman rig, it's not by a whole lot :LOL: :LOL:

I'm curious as to why the Waza is so much more expensive. I wouldn't even entertain it because of the price when they came out. They say the Katana has Waza DNA. Wonder what gives here? :confused:

A BOSS rep explains it over at TGP mega-thread (yes, even those cork sniffers love this amp). I didn't read into it since it's at 250 pages and didn't feel like searching it out, but it was explained in there

Chuck me into the Gas end of the pool :aww:

Am i reading / viewing correctly?? The head has a power soak/scale..down to 0.5W? how does that sound? Sounds like most of you guys are playing them at tilt levels (?)

I've always thought Boss had some nice modeling tones..but this may be Boss i leap onto. BTW...I'm pulling for you Jeff :LOL: :LOL:

Clips from some of you axe grinders.... :rock:

atrox":3qcltcwe said:
Gsxrbusa":3qcltcwe said:
atrox":3qcltcwe said:
Girlfriend went to bed early last night, so i plugged my katana into my Marshall cab and grabbed my San Dimas. 2 hours later i emerged from my basement (I barely ever play more than 20 minutes at home).

My cheapest rig i have ever owned. Free USA Charvel. Free Marshall cab and a $314 Katana head (i bought a demo unit). I'd put that rig up against pretty much anything. While i prefer my Friedman rig, it's not by a whole lot :LOL: :LOL:

I'm curious as to why the Waza is so much more expensive. I wouldn't even entertain it because of the price when they came out. They say the Katana has Waza DNA. Wonder what gives here? :confused:

A BOSS rep explains it over at TGP mega-thread (yes, even those cork sniffers love this amp). I didn't read into it since it's at 250 pages and didn't feel like searching it out, but it was explained in there

I'll go over there and take a look. Thanks!

The modelers have come a long way since the original Line 6 stuff. I have not played this amp, but I did purchase a Blackstar ID60 head to keep in my den at home. Running it through a Mesa 2x12...Sound almost unbelievably good. Especially considering the price. I recommend trying this series as well if you are in the market for a modeler.

MrDowntown":82c2c1sx said:

Am i reading / viewing correctly?? The head has a power soak/scale..down to 0.5W? how does that sound? Sounds like most of you guys are playing them at tilt levels (?)

I've always thought Boss had some nice modeling tones..but this may be Boss i leap onto. BTW...I'm pulling for you Jeff :LOL: :LOL:

I'll be sure to make clips :)

MrDowntown":1luubihu said:

I jammed it full tilt once so far for about 30 minutes. I use this head for recording at home with low volume. I have the BE-100 and DSL for jamming and playing out. That said, i'd totally gig this thing as well.

The power scaling works great and is mostly for the power section emulation. So .5 watts sounds like the amp is cranked a bit more, but at a low volume. Less headroom as well. Just imagine it like a real tube amp and that is what it emulates.

However, it does sound great at low volumes even on the 100 watt setting.

There's a line 6 240hc which seems to be a alternative option. I'd love to get that bluetooth and wireless that comes with the line 6, but the sound needs to be there. Not out yet

I've heard clips that sound OK but you guys have me curious. So this feels and plays like a good tube amp? I've been burned before by reviews like this though so excuse my skepticism.

ejecta":33v4npej said:
I've heard clips that sound OK but you guys have me curious. So this feels and plays like a good tube amp? I've been burned before by reviews like this though so excuse my skepticism.

Of course there is NOTHING like a real tube amp. However the Axe FX does the best job of emulating one. The new POD HD has improved a lot, but not quite as good as the AxeFX. I haven't tried the Helix. The ElevenRack sucks in my opinion and feels like playing through a computer soundcard. I haven't spent much time with the Kemper, but I'd put it at a very close second or on the same level as the AxeFX.

Having rated those, I'd say the Katana is kind of like the AxeFX in that it has a good feel even though not like a real tube amp. If you have played a solid state Randal, Marshall Valvestate, or Vox Valvetronix, then you're going to get a very solid state feel. The Katana does have that to an extent, but there is something very interesting they've done to make it more tube amp-like than any other solid state amp. It's remarkable, but it won't quench tube amp cravings.

ok i ordered one on jeff's glowing reviews. it sux-can o bee's...it won't do fusion(do you fusion bro?). why did I ever listen to you jeff? danno, you have my number, when will I be getting the vid? I'll foward it to Martin.......

SavageRiffer":uscwgzua said:
ejecta":uscwgzua said:

Of course there is NOTHING like a real tube amp. However the Axe FX does the best job of emulating one. The new POD HD has improved a lot, but not quite as good as the AxeFX. I haven't tried the Helix. The ElevenRack sucks in my opinion and feels like playing through a computer soundcard. I haven't spent much time with the Kemper, but I'd put it at a very close second or on the same level as the AxeFX.

Having rated those, I'd say the Katana is kind of like the AxeFX in that it has a good feel even though not like a real tube amp. If you have played a solid state Randal, Marshall Valvestate, or Vox Valvetronix, then you're going to get a very solid state feel. The Katana does have that to an extent, but there is something very interesting they've done to make it more tube amp-like than any other solid state amp. It's remarkable, but it won't quench tube amp cravings.
One exception to your list is a Randall...but the vintage RG 80/100es series from the early-mid 80s. I have an 80 and it is very tubelike, to the point of almost fooling me. And I've played another's AXE2 rig, this Randall is more tubelike than that rig. Now, the way he had it set up might not be optimal, so YMMV. But if this Katana is equal or better than the 1986 RG80 I have, then I'm sold. BTW I paid 149 for the Randall. Try one sometime. Underrated amp.

Back