Diezel VH4 Blueface

Are you interested in getting "old-script" Diezel VH4 Blueface?

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’m not saying you’re wrong. It’s just that the debate won’t ever be settled unless you’re Adam Jones himself and you donate the Blueface for a comparison test. It’s one of the most contentious debates in the Diezel fan club.
I don’t care about AJ tones at all. But I am planning to include a little Tool stuff in my comparison.

There are lots of late 90s and very early 2000s that are still that spec.
This is true. My 1998 that i bought from Billy Corgan is blue face spec per Peter.

4YrQ9Tu.jpg

Blue specs...Hence the reason Billy (as you can see by the markers) pushed the gain and treble so hard.
Completely agreed. I have three VH4's in my comparison: 2022, 2004, 2002. I'm 99.9% the 2002 is Blueface spec. It's dark, mid-heavy, and angry. Substantially less gain and brightness than the other two and you have to run the EQ like Billy's old one, with everything pushed pretty hard, especially channel two. The AJ settings, which are also pushed pretty hard, sound "right" on that amp. The other two (2004, 2022) sound better with more "noon" settings.

Completely agreed. I have three VH4's in my comparison: 2022, 2004, 2002. I'm 99.9% the 2002 is Blueface spec. It's dark, mid-heavy, and angry. Substantially less gain and brightness than the other two and you have to run the EQ like Billy's old one, with everything pushed pretty hard, especially channel two. The AJ settings, which are also pushed pretty hard, sound "right" on that amp. The other two (2004, 2022) sound better with more "noon" settings.
How different are your 2002 and 2004?

I guess your 2002 is dark but more crispy, less compressed, your 2004 is more compressed and has more gain on ch.2 and better ch.4, right?
Spot on for the most part. Only thing I’d disagree with is “more crispy” on the 2002. It definitely has less treble than either of the other two. But otherwise yes, you nailed it.

Spot on for the most part. Only thing I’d disagree with is “more crispy” on the 2002. It definitely has less treble than either of the other two. But otherwise yes, you nailed it.
:) I said that because a friend of mine own one and that's what he has experienced. Dark yes, don't recall if more presence or more treble available on the dial, more string clarity but for sure less compressed than his previous 2021 and 2006.

Last edited:
Was really considering this. But seeing as it’s just a 2011 silver face that’s blue…. That’s not worth it.
Yeah agreed. I got my ‘02 Blueface spec VH4 for the low $3000s ($3200 if I remember correctly). I’d snatch up all the late 90s and very early 2000s (2000-2002/3) VH4s you can get before people realize what they have.

Yeah agreed. I got my ‘02 Blueface spec VH4 for the low $3000s ($3200 if I remember correctly). I’d snatch up all the late 90s and very early 2000s (2000-2002/3) VH4s you can get before people realize what they have.
Not sure which one I want. I hear the 12s and later are more aggressive? Less bloated, tighter, more gain? Which should I get for the most aggressive… as I play the brutz.

Funny enough, the 2011 Bluefaces are rarer than the OG ones. About 160 OG out there and 75 of the 2011 run.

But yeah, it's not the same amp though, it's a 2010 model with a cosmetic fascia change. Still a cool amp. I love mine.
5k just for a cosmetic change though, lot of nope from me.

Not sure which one I want. I hear the 12s and later are more aggressive? Less bloated, tighter, more gain? Which should I get for the most aggressive… as I play the brutz.
The most recent VH4 revison is the most forward and aggressive sounding. That said, if brutal is what your after, skip the VH4 al together. If you want to stay within the Diezel family of amps and play mostly metal, the Herbert is your best bet by far.

Last edited:
If you play modern metal or downtune, you would likely prefer a newer VH4. They are brighter and tighter. Same amount of gain on ch3, but ch2 has a bit more and can into actual jcm 800 territory. I found ch4 also actually usable as an alternate high gain rythm channel on the late model VH4.

My "old script" VH4 by comparison was darker and chewier, but I found ch2 pretty well just an edge of breakup type channel and ch4 just a lead channel. I mean....I am sure you could dial both relatively similar, but I found the range of controls much better with the newer model. My old one, you had to keep the deep at like 9 o'clock or it would get woofy.

The most aggressive and brutal VH4 I’ve ever played is my 2004 but it sounds unlike any other VH4. I'd grab a 2007-present model if you want a lot of gain with the brightest and tightest sound.

If you play modern metal or downtune, you would likely prefer a newer VH4. They are brighter and tighter. Same amount of gain on ch3, but ch2 has a bit more and can into actual jcm 800 territory. I found ch4 also actually usable as an alternate high gain rythm channel on the late model VH4.

My "old script" VH4 by comparison was darker and chewier, but I found ch2 pretty well just an edge of breakup type channel and ch4 just a lead channel. I mean....I am sure you could dial both relatively similar, but I found the range of controls much better with the newer model. My old one, you had to keep the deep at like 9 o'clock or it would get woofy.
This is nearly identical to my thoughts.

Back