FJA Atomica Mods

metalmaniac93":27a4xrdn said:
steve_k":27a4xrdn said:
metalmaniac93":27a4xrdn said:
glip22":27a4xrdn said:
FX loops suck signal and tone. All of them. No one has gotten it right. There's always a sacrifice even with a switch that turns it off. :thumbsdown:

Yes, I agree, but I wish I had a newer delay unit since I cannot mix in the desired amount of dry/wet from my delay unit. Would Suhr's Mini Mix II resolve this?

No. There is no mix control on the Suhr unit. It basically turns your series insert loop into a parallel loop where it will regenerate the signal path rather than just a simple bridge between pre and post. It will sound better, no doubt. But, they aren't cheap.

Which unit are you trying to use?

If you are having trouble getting enough signal passing from the send into the FX unit, there's also, here's another thing to do. Take the chassis out and flip it upside down. You will see on the loop board at the loop jacks and the board is trim pot. Turn it a little bit more counter clockwise. This controls the B+ voltage passed to the loop (effectively a send control) and you can adjust it up a little hotter. George will have it preset to something middle of the road for most FX. But, you can tweak it to your liking. You can do it with the amp in "run", but be careful when doing so. This will keep you from having to run the return so high, if that is what is happening. Running the return high is what creates issues.

Steve

Steve,

I am using the Roland SDE3000 unit and it sounds ok but I do not like the pure wet tone and I have to turn my delay out level down real low. I just ordered the Suhr Multi Mix II, but it sounds like it wont work like having a true parallel loop?

OK, I see what you are saying now. I thought you were having some send volume issues. The Suhr MMII should fix you right up then. It will definitely sound better and less wetter :thumbsup:

MYLILSS":2nouctej said:
if someone wanted a clean channel on an atomica would they just buy a ccv ??

Nah...they're very different amps, so someone who digs the Atomica but needs a clean would likely not be happy with a CCV...not even close to interchangeable on the gain side.

I wonder how much improvement he gets with the output tranny upgrade? Might be worth checking out. I always like the footswtchable solo master option as well.

jcj":c3k6yzeb said:
MYLILSS":c3k6yzeb said:
if someone wanted a clean channel on an atomica would they just buy a ccv ??

Nah...they're very different amps, so someone who digs the Atomica but needs a clean would likely not be happy with a CCV...not even close to interchangeable on the gain side.

Yes, if my memory is correct from the LA Amp show and the sound clips, the CCV has much more gain and is voiced differently than the Atomica. That said, I will have a CCV coming in a month or so? :rock: :rock: :rock:

steve_k":1lri1yj2 said:
metalmaniac93":1lri1yj2 said:
steve_k":1lri1yj2 said:
metalmaniac93":1lri1yj2 said:
glip22":1lri1yj2 said:
FX loops suck signal and tone. All of them. No one has gotten it right. There's always a sacrifice even with a switch that turns it off. :thumbsdown:

Yes, I agree, but I wish I had a newer delay unit since I cannot mix in the desired amount of dry/wet from my delay unit. Would Suhr's Mini Mix II resolve this?

No. There is no mix control on the Suhr unit. It basically turns your series insert loop into a parallel loop where it will regenerate the signal path rather than just a simple bridge between pre and post. It will sound better, no doubt. But, they aren't cheap.

If you are having trouble getting enough signal passing from the send into the FX unit, there's also, here's another thing to do. Take the chassis out and flip it upside down. You will see on the loop board at the loop jacks and the board is trim pot. Turn it a little bit more counter clockwise. This controls the B+ voltage passed to the loop (effectively a send control) and you can adjust it up a little hotter. George will have it preset to something middle of the road for most FX. But, you can tweak it to your liking. You can do it with the amp in "run", but be careful when doing so. This will keep you from having to run the return so high, if that is what is happening. Running the return high is what creates issues.

Steve

Steve,

I am using the Roland SDE3000 unit and it sounds ok but I do not like the pure wet tone and I have to turn my delay out level down real low. I just ordered the Suhr Multi Mix II, but it sounds like it wont work like having a true parallel loop?

OK, I see what you are saying now. I thought you were having some send volume issues. The Suhr MMII should fix you right up then. It will definitely sound better and less wetter :thumbsup:

Steve, thanks!! The Roland SDE 3000 does not have an output level control like the newer delay units. Will that make a difference?

A lot of miss information here. You don't need a mixer or a parallel loop with a sde 3000. It has a analog dry path. Make sure you are using the mix output then you just adjust the level on the unit for more or less level. You also need to run your front master to about half and use the return level for your master volume. You will have to set your level switch on the sde for -10 because the loop is set up for pedal level. Also make sure you hitting the metter on the sde way into the red that's the level it wants to see. Hope that helps.

metalmaniac93":13es2x29 said:
steve_k":13es2x29 said:
steve_k":13es2x29 said:
glip22":13es2x29 said:

Steve

Steve,

Steve, thanks!! The Roland SDE 3000 does not have an output level control like the newer delay units. Will that make a difference?

I don't know anything about that Roland unit. But, Dave does. See his response about setting it up. If it is like he says, and the dry/wet path is controllable, then the problem lies there in controlling your wet level.

Steve

My effects loops on my BE and Atomica are as transparent as I could imagine! I hear no tone issues or have any struggles with volume levels. I only use an EP booster and a DD3. There is no volume issue (loss) when I kick in the DD3.

bonedarrell":32pp47zv said:
My effects loops on my BE and Atomica are as transparent as I could imagine! I hear no tone issues or have any struggles with volume levels. I only use an EP booster and a DD3. There is no volume issue (loss) when I kick in the DD3.

There is some volume loss for me since I have to turn the effects level up almost all the way to have to equal what it would be without the effects loop engaged. It is just I am used to a parallel effects loop where I can control the amount of effects i can add. I also have a Analog Man modded DD-3 that I never use, but might try it out.

metalmaniac93":1ndnhgxo said:
bonedarrell":1ndnhgxo said:

There is some volume loss for me since I have to turn the effects level up almost all the way to have to equal what it would be without the effects loop engaged. It is just I am used to a parallel effects loop where I can control the amount of effects i can add. I also have a Analog Man modded DD-3 that I never use, but might try it out.

What kind of amp are you using?

RACKSYSTEMS":h2j324k1 said:
A lot of miss information here. You don't need a mixer or a parallel loop with a sde 3000. It has a analog dry path. Make sure you are using the mix output then you just adjust the level on the unit for more or less level. You also need to run your front master to about half and use the return level for your master volume. You will have to set your level switch on the sde for -10 because the loop is set up for pedal level. Also make sure you hitting the metter on the sde way into the red that's the level it wants to see. Hope that helps.

Dave, thanks!!! I will have to PM you. It works, but not like I am used to.

bonedarrell":3ish74wl said:
metalmaniac93":3ish74wl said:
bonedarrell":3ish74wl said:

Atomica!!! I don't have any tone issues. It is just like to be able to mix the level of effects like a parallel loop. I guess I have to just deal with it or go wet/dry, which will cost me more money!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

metalmaniac93":qu42cyxm said:
bonedarrell":qu42cyxm said:
metalmaniac93":qu42cyxm said:
bonedarrell":qu42cyxm said:

Atomica!!! I don't have any tone issues. It is just like to be able to mix the level of effects like a parallel loop. I guess I have to just deal with it or go wet/dry, which will cost me more money!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Ohhhhhh! Dude, I have an Atomica as well and running the master at noon and controlling the level with the effects return, I have no volume variance at all using the Atomica alone. I just control the effects level on the DD3. That being said, I do run wet dry with my BE at times and your right, that does cost more money!!! Btw, when I do the wet/dry thing, I randomly switch from using the loop on he BE and other times the Atomica.....again, no volume variance when the DD3 is engaged either way. Sounds like your not hitting the front of your effects enough by turning up your master.

bonedarrell":bgutom2b said:
metalmaniac93":bgutom2b said:
metalmaniac93":bgutom2b said:

Ohhhhhh! Dude, I have an Atomica as well and running the master at noon and controlling the level with the effects return, I have no volume variance at all using the Atomica alone. I just control the effects level on the DD3. That being said, I do run wet dry with my BE at times and your right, that does cost more money!!! Btw, when I do the wet/dry thing, I randomly switch from using the loop on he BE and other times the Atomica.....again, no volume variance when the DD3 is engaged either way. Sounds like your not hitting the front of your effects enough by turning up your master.

I have my master around noon and the effects level on around 3 to 4. I am just used to running the effects output level between 25-50% and mixing it with a parallel loop to get more of a subtle effect with more dry than wet. Similar tone to the wet/dry concept, but not as good!! Maybe I should just buy the Suhr ISO-Output and a power amp and call it good. I already have two great quality 2X12 speaker cabs, but they have V30s in them. Well the Dr Z has a V30 and a G12H 30 70th Anniversary and will have my Cameron 4X12 soon. If I run mostly dry, the kind of speakers for the wet poart should not be a major problem.

steve_k":hwi05ikp said:
metalmaniac93":hwi05ikp said:
glip22":hwi05ikp said:

Steve

Steve,

I don't know anything about that Roland unit. But, Dave does. See his response about setting it up. If it is like he says, and the dry/wet path is controllable, then the problem lies there in controlling your wet level.

Steve

Steve, thanks!!! Here is my dilemma. I am used to running my Roland around 25-50% and then mixing it in via a parallel effects loop like on the Bogner XTC or the Engl Savage. I also get a great trailing effect that way and there is subtle delay, which I like. How would a RJM Mini Line Mixer work? Have you used these before?

Rob

metalmaniac93":2u2mxbiw said:
bonedarrell":2u2mxbiw said:

I have my master around noon and the effects level on around 3 to 4. I am just used to running the effects output level between 25-50% and mixing it with a parallel loop to get more of a subtle effect with more dry than wet. Similar tone to the wet/dry concept, but not as good!! Maybe I should just buy the Suhr ISO-Output and a power amp and call it good. I already have two great quality 2X12 speaker cabs, but they have V30s in them. Well the Dr Z has a V30 and a G12H 30 70th Anniversary and will have my Cameron 4X12 soon. If I run mostly dry, the kind of speakers for the wet poart should not be a major problem.

Noon and 3-4?! Dude you are pushing some air!! Assuming you mean 3 or 4 o'clock. Sounds like you have a good plan. Dave and Mark swear by the Matrix for that set up....not too pricey. Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I am still confused by your dilemma? If the volume level is being dropped when you engage an effect, that is an effect issue IMO. I get the whole parallel "more dry than wet thing", but most good effects should handle that with their own effects mix. Either way, the plan you are considering should get you there. I understand being a creature of habit and wanting things to work the the way you are used to. Best of luck! Enjoy that Atomica! I know I am mine!!

bonedarrell":1z9qcfmm said:
metalmaniac93":1z9qcfmm said:

Noon and 3-4?! Dude you are pushing some air!! Assuming you mean 3 or 4 o'clock. Sounds like you have a good plan. Dave and Mark swear by the Matrix for that set up....not too pricey. Not trying to beat a dead horse, but I am still confused by your dilemma? If the volume level is being dropped when you engage an effect, that is an effect issue IMO. I get the whole parallel "more dry than wet thing", but most good effects should handle that with their own effects mix. Either way, the plan you are considering should get you there. I understand being a creature of habit and wanting things to work the the way you are used to. Best of luck! Enjoy that Atomica! I know I am mine!!

LOL!!! Well I have the effects level around 3 or 4 for the Atomica Effect Level as Dave recommendedand master at noon and yes the volume is dropped compared to when I engage the effects as far as switching the loop switch on the back of the amp in and out. My dilemna is that I am not used to running this much wet since a parallal loop. Maybe I am not doing it right, but I do not have much options with this delay unit. Thanks!!!

metalmaniac93":3s67fzw9 said:
bonedarrell":3s67fzw9 said:

LOL!!! Well I have the effects level around 3 or 4 for the Atomica Effect Level as Dave recommendedand master at noon and yes the volume is dropped compared to when I engage the effects as far as switching the loop switch on the back of the amp in and out. My dilemna is that I am not used to running this much wet since a parallal loop. Maybe I am not doing it right, but I do not have much options with this delay unit. Thanks!!!

Does the same "issue" occur when you just turn the effects loop off an on w/o any effect in the loop? I am sure you already tested that. Your problem could be one of your effects and/or it's power source? Good question for Dave.

bonedarrell":3qcyyas6 said:
metalmaniac93":3qcyyas6 said:

Does the same "issue" occur when you just turn the effects loop off an on w/o any effect in the loop? I am sure you already tested that. Your problem could be one of your effects and/or it's power source? Good question for Dave.

FYI...I never had a reason to test that out on my Atomica, but I did just that. With no effects in the effect loop.....no volume change with the loop off or on. Did the same with the effects in the loop....same result...no volume change. Now....the big question..."how reliable is my hearing?!?!". My wife has one answer and I have another....lol!!!

bonedarrell":2kkxlg3d said:
metalmaniac93":2kkxlg3d said:

FYI...I never had a reason to test that out on my Atomica, but I did just that. With no effects in the effect loop.....no volume change with the loop off or on. Did the same with the effects in the loop....same result...no volume change. Now....the big question..."how reliable is my hearing?!?!". My wife has one answer and I have another....lol!!!

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I know mine isnt relaible at all according to my wife!!!

Back