Guys, someone tried Baron custom amps, or Titan amps or Mako amplification?

I have had a titan for a short time, and both a Dorado and makoplex from Mako. Didn't really dig any of them, but i never used boosts back then. Might have liked them with a boost. I still have a Baron snot watt I love.

I have had a titan for a short time, and both a Dorado and makoplex from Mako. Didn't really dig any of them, but i never used boosts back then. Might have liked them with a boost. I still have a Baron snot watt I love.
I likely have that Makoplex now and it needs a boost to really shine. It is also very picky about the V1 preamp tube.

There was a guy here from New Jersey (Kyle?) who also had a bunch of Randall modules, he loved and praised those Baron amps, owned a few of them back around 2012ish

I had a Mako Mak4 preamp. I owned an Omega Obsidian briefly, and that amp reminded me a lot of Mako's stuff. Played a Titan at an ampfest way back in like 2010 or something, and it sounded great! They weren't SLO clones, but they did use parts from the SLO clone board or something like that. Way tighter and more gain, and different power section than a SLO. But yeah, heard a lot of issues with them. And none of these guys are selling amps anymore.

I had some Makos and a Baron. The Makos were well built and Andrew Solner was a really cool dude. The amps sounded fairly anemic to my Bogner 100s and some of the other amps I had at the time. I was a fan of his though. The amps were fine too.

I had a Makoplex and MAK2. Both were VERY well built and sounded awesome. The Makoplex was very similar to a Quickrod but with way more low end punch and the MAK2 was like a UL mixed with an Uber minus an overbearing low end. Both were dry and tight amps. They were very picky with boost pedals which turned me off. If an amp doesn't play well with an SD-1, I ain't having it LOL. It seemed to only bond with TS808/9's. No SD-1's, Rats, OCD's, Timmys, etc worked with those amps. R&D error IMO. But Andrew was rad.

My Titan amp was legendary… as in an absolute fuck show! Lol.

Sounded good but what an ordeal. The Mako stuff was hot for a minute. I remember the one guy from The Absence was using them for a hot minute. Always wanted a MAK4 preamp but if I recall they had huge noise issues.

I've had all three. This is what I remember.

Mako (I want so say it was the Dorado) - great build quality, solid amp. Why didn't I keep it? I'm stupid.

Baron KT88 - great amp, great functionality, great build. Why didn't I keep it? I'm stupid.

Titan - absolute dumpster fire. Seller is/was a douchebag. Builder wasn't much help. Can't believe I was actually able to sell it. Single worst forum-related gear experience ever.

I've had all three. This is what I remember.

Mako (I want so say it was the Dorado) - great build quality, solid amp. Why didn't I keep it? I'm stupid.

Baron KT88 - great amp, great functionality, great build. Why didn't I keep it? I'm stupid.

Titan - absolute dumpster fire. Seller is/was a douchebag. Builder wasn't much help. Can't believe I was actually able to sell it. Single worst forum-related gear experience ever.
I had that K88 that I regret selling it I remember it was clear big chords powerful nice clean channel and sold it and cheap, so I guess I fall into the same category that I'm stupid also, and I have not see another one again for sale in 8 years, I think we do that, thanks to all the big propaganda , advertisements from other amp companies that have the cash to do that, and we fall into that trap, sell better amps sometimes to buy bad amps just because we drink the kool aid from the advertainment that it was the best rock machine ever build and go there and mess up again and again and again I learn the hard way.
I had a JCM 800 modded by don't know that I bought late 90s sounded bad ass, I never knew until I sold it, because I have not found another gain like that even with newer amps.

Back