Guys, someone tried Baron custom amps, or Titan amps or Mako amplification?

What was the question?

IMG_6433.jpeg
IMG_6429.jpeg
IMG_0419.jpeg
IMG_0418.jpeg

Wow what a throwback Pete. Awesome pics.

Wow looks great, so all the heads had different type of tone? can you tell us more about these amps, they rarely go for sale, So I guess the guy that used to make them build very few amps.

Yes sir. All of them sounded different. The custom is just a combo of two circuits of your choice IIRC. Makoplex is modded Plexi, hence the name. Again, very dry and tight like a Splawn Quickrod but with more lowend and crispyness. MAK2 was a beast but the amps it seemed to copy or be based on (Uber and UL) performed better.

Wow what a throwback Pete. Awesome pics.

Yes sir. All of them sounded different. The custom is just a combo of two circuits of your choice IIRC. Makoplex is modded Plexi, hence the name. Again, very dry and tight like a Splawn Quickrod but with more lowend and crispyness. MAK2 was a beast but the amps it seemed to copy or be based on (Uber and UL) performed better.
Where they made them? do they had high end componets? Because right now in the market we have lets say 30 amp manufaturers and from those 70% use the same transformers brand, or capacitors or resistors, does Mako was using something different or was the same formula, like all the others?

Where they made them? do they had high end componets? Because right now in the market we have lets say 30 amp manufaturers and from those 70% use the same transformers brand, or capacitors or resistors, does Mako was using something different or was the same formula, like all the others?
It’s been so long but I know he used unique components mounted on a turret board. It was super clean and a work of art. I wanna say the trannies were custom wound but I don’t recall for sure.

It’s been so long but I know he used unique components mounted on a turret board. It was super clean and a work of art. I wanna say the trannies were custom wound but I don’t recall for sure.
Great, that sounds like I need to try one, to see if theres any differences form all the actual ones that we have now a days.

I have a Mako Dorado. It has some sort of depth/resonance mod. The knob isn't labeled so I'm not sure what Mako called it. But it's some sort of active/powered filter attached to a mini transformer inside the chassis. To be honest, I haven't played the amp much and I've had it for at least a year. But I did fire it up a few times and it sounds good. Quite powerful and authoritative. I liked it more than the Uberschall. It's way overbuilt though. There's no reason the headshell needs to be that large or that heavy. And there's no reason why there needs to be 6" freakin' railroad spikes holding the chassis in lol.

Also mine is PTP/tag board, but the circuit is gooped. So no way to repair it if something happens. Kinda BS for a company that no longer exists.

untitled_by_haftelm_dfem6pl-pre.jpg

I have a large collection of tube preamps, and I never used that one, so put it for sale sold quick because is really good and bought another thing.
Jim!

You have my contact info, would you mind giving me a call? Just wanted to pick your brain on the pre...
Appreciate it.

Back