OK...What Amps Do You NEVER Regret Selling?

angelspade

Which amps?...And why? Let's hear it...I will start:

ENGL Powerball - Most processed, nasally, un-organic sounding hi-gain amp ever made and got eaten alive in a band context. Couldn't sell it fast enough.

Rivera KR7 Head - Very difficult to dial in. frustrating, excessively grainy character and didn't come to life until is was offensively loud - lasted less than three weeks.

Mesa Triple Crown - Somewhat generic sounding, lacked that signature boogie attack and aggression. Generally low on character - Vanilla - Lasted about six weeks.

OK...Your turn.

Last edited:
Revv Generator 120 mk3. Probably the perfect amp on paper (clean, crunch, 5150 style channel, Recto style channel, amazing built in gate, the right amount of switches without going overboard, etc.). Basically the perfect spec for me.

Unfortunately I just got zero inspiration when playing through it. Felt lacking, almost digital. Lasted two days before going back.

Actually it probably doesn't belong on this thread because I really wanted to like the amp and every few months feel the pull to try it again.

Revv Generator 120 mk3. Probably the perfect amp on paper (clean, crunch, 5150 style channel, Recto style channel, amazing built in gate, the right amount of switches without going overboard, etc.). Basically the perfect spec for me.

Unfortunately I just got zero inspiration when playing through it. Felt lacking, almost digital. Lasted two days before going back.

Actually it probably doesn't belong on this thread because I really wanted to like the amp and every few months feel the pull to try it again.
Two days!!! No long enough imo.

I've had my MKII for 3 years and it delivers big time. Took a little while to nail my settings but now!!!!! Holy shit. It is my main amp. Only channel that would need refinements is the crunch. Not enough gain and bite, if this channel would be like an un modded 800, it would be perfect.

This amp is aimed at more modern tonea to begin with, witch i think it nails!!!!

Best amp i ever got rid of was my Mesa Stiletto Trident. Don't get me started on how loose and flubby that amp was!!!! Worst amp i owned. A MK1 though. Never Tried a MK2.

One other i never got a jive with was the Randall Cyclone. Perfect on paper bit never a good tone out of it.

Wizard MC 25- Too much shared eq in the clean channel so the compromise no bueno
Obrien Horrible footswitchable blend channel
All Friedmans- to compressed and no raw energy in the sound or feel. Sounds perfect in many ways but not for me.
All Princeton reverbs and clones - 6V6s lack the headroom and vibe.
All Deluxe Reverbs Vintage and Modern. Don't have the ability to do anything but nice spanky cleans.
Some of the Many Marshalls I had.
Most Diezels. But some I liked
Most VHTs except Deliverance . Hated the Sig X.

Two days!!! No long enough imo.

I've had my MKII for 3 years and it delivers big time. Took a little while to nail my settings but now!!!!! Holy shit. It is my main amp. Only channel that would need refinements is the crunch. Not enough gain and bite, if this channel would be like an un modded 800, it would be perfect.

This amp is aimed at more modern tonea to begin with, witch i think it nails!!!!

Best amp i ever got rid of was my Mesa Stiletto Trident. Don't get me started on how loose and flubby that amp was!!!! Worst amp i owned. A MK1 though. Never Tried a MK2.

One other i never got a jive with was the Randall Cyclone. Perfect on paper bit never a good tone out of it.
Maybe it's time for round 2 with the Revv

ISP Theta head. I fought hard to get one of the first ones available because on paper I seriously thought it would be insane for high gain with lots of tweak-ability and looked absolutely cool AF. Built in decimators. Big solid state wattage. And I was a fan of Buck Waller's work in the past. Tried super hard for a few months but just couldn't get a tone I liked. Had a good bro come take it and try his hand at it, to no avail. That one was my first heart breaking amp experience. Nothing I have purchased since then has hurt me like that amp did. Therapy and medication in the form of tequila has helped a little, but I can still see that amp in my mind and feel my soul die a little.

Mesa .50 Caliber Plus. It was my second tube amp and first huge letdown. Has a grainy gain character and lack of balls that the GEQ can't fix. Oddly enough, I liked the Studio 22 quite a bit.

Framus Dragon. Bought it from Uli Roth's tech for like $700. The most awful combination of loose and brittle. Apparently there's some trick with the loop level that I wasn't aware of at the time.

Last edited:
Carr Skylark. Low end too flabby. Not enough cutting presence for my tastes no matter how I EQ'd it.

Carr Mercury V. Found the driven sound too angular and harsh for my use. If I was forced to keep a 2 X 6V6 powered small amp, It would be the Wizard MC25. Had an MC25, and while it was a fine amp overall for my general use, I never played it much relative to my MC50, MCII KT150, or MTL MKII KT200.

Carr makes some great small amps, but those 2 didn't do anything for me.

Hmm...

Mesa Dual Rectifier
Mesa Triaxis
Bogner Ecstacy
Bogner Uberschall
Bogner Shiva
Line 6/Bogner Spider
Bogner/Hafler Triple Giant
Gallien Krueger 100MPL
Framus Cobra
Orange Rockerverb
Diezel Einstein
Diezel D'Moll
Mezzabarba Trinity

Many of these couldn't get rid of fast enough especially that Trinity and you'll notice a pattern with anything Bogner. Although I love and own their cabs.

Back