POLL: What Tubes Are You Running in Your Diezel VH4?

POLL: What Tubes Are You Running in Your VH4?

• Total voters
Currently KT77s, used to LOVE 6550s (SED =C=) but Papa's gonna come in here and blast my ass for mentioning such 😂

Only once used 6L6, they were neat - might give 'em another chance when these current 77s kick the bucket, but overall, been very happy with the JJ KT77s in my Hagen, VH4 and D-Moll. Used to go with GL-KT77 but the price versus performance of the JJ ?? Can't be beat.

Not exactly a VH4, but I’m running 6L6s in my VH2. It came stock with EL34s. The new tubes are maybe a bit more open, giving more emphasis on top end sparkle and low end punch. Either way, it still sounds like a Diezel! (y)

I've only done one tube swap so far, from KT77s to 6L6s, and I prefer the 6L6s. They even out the frequency response in the lower mids to my ear. The KT77s seemed to emphasize parts of the midrange that I didn't like.

Love the sound of KT77s in my VH4.
I tried 6l6GCs in it, but ended up liking the KT77s better.

It has been said that the KT77 is a middle ground between 6L6 and El34.
Also, some say Gold Pin are smoother. Haven't tried them yet.

KT77s are my preference for anything EL34 based. That being said, my Herbert mk2 and VH4 came loaded with JJ EL34s and sounded decent.
Also had JJ 6CA7s in the VH4 for a while as my spare set of KT77s turned out to be kaputt. I liked those a lot too.

Are you guys actually hearing a substantive tonal difference between the 6L6 and EL34s in the VH4? Or is is fairly minimal?

Are you guys actually hearing a substantive tonal difference between the 6L6 and EL34s in the VH4? Or is is fairly minimal?
I heard a significant difference between KT77 and 6L6. I used to think power tube swaps didn’t change the sound much. That changed my mind.

Would you please elaborate on the total / response differences?
I posted this earlier in the thread:
I've only done one tube swap so far, from KT77s to 6L6s, and I prefer the 6L6s. They even out the frequency response in the lower mids to my ear. The KT77s seemed to emphasize parts of the midrange that I didn't like.

Like others, I find the 6L6's opened up the amp a bit and it became less congested in the mids than with the KT77's. I prefer the top end of the 6L6's.
Now, I only play at home and I'm going off in-the-room tones (dirty words lately) so perhaps the more middy sounding KT77/EL34 type translate better live and in a mix.

I have to say, I am fairly surprised that the consensus is leaning in the 6L6 direction. I have always thought of the VH4 as an EL34 amp. I may have to give them a shot.

Currently KT77s, used to LOVE 6550s (SED =C=) but Papa's gonna come in here and blast my ass for mentioning such 😂
Do they not like making them with 6550s? I was actually hoping to get a VH4 with 6550s

Back