POLL: What Tubes Are You Running in Your Diezel VH4?

POLL: What Tubes Are You Running in Your VH4?

• Total voters
Correct...And I know other guys that have run them as well. But my understanding is that Peter recommends against them in the VH4. Ventura here at the board can probably comment further.
To the extent you know, do 6550s cause some sort of technical problem which can lead to malfunction? Any threads documenting this issue by chance?

KT77s are my preference for anything EL34 based. That being said, my Herbert mk2 and VH4 came loaded with JJ EL34s and sounded decent.
Also had JJ 6CA7s in the VH4 for a while as my spare set of KT77s turned out to be kaputt. I liked those a lot too.
This will sound weird but I only put Mesa 6l6s in all 3 diezels . Judi opens them up with added agression

I fkn LOVE 6550's in my VH4 amps. But according to Papa, he frowns on their utility as they run pretty hot and pull a lot from the pV and circuit of the amp. But dear gawd do they sound ridiculously good.
So having Diezel build me a VH4 with 6550s from the factory is out of the question?

So having Diezel build me a VH4 with 6550s from the factory is out of the question?
It might get complicated.

Best to ask Peter Stapfer, he may be able to better field this question and give you specifics. It's not as though the amps "as they are" can't run 6550s, as you've seen and investigated yourself, they've been plugged with 6550 direct stock from the factory countless times in the past by many musicians and players alike. It's just that - seemingly on a long enough timeline, the 6550 do fry up, and can fry up certain components and circuitry within the native stock build of the VH4.

Papa's recommending NOT to use them is more to keep warranties at bay and make sure those spending heavy loot on one of the best amps in the world, don't come away disappointed when something starts to smell burnt. EL34, 6L6, KT77, there are a LOT of options out there...a lot.

It might get complicated.

Best to ask Peter Stapfer, he may be able to better field this question and give you specifics. It's not as though the amps "as they are" can't run 6550s, as you've seen and investigated yourself, they've been plugged with 6550 direct stock from the factory countless times in the past by many musicians and players alike. It's just that - seemingly on a long enough timeline, the 6550 do fry up, and can fry up certain components and circuitry within the native stock build of the VH4.

Papa's recommending NOT to use them is more to keep warranties at bay and make sure those spending heavy loot on one of the best amps in the world, don't come away disappointed when something starts to smell burnt. EL34, 6L6, KT77, there are a LOT of options out there...a lot.
Emailed customer support via the website form a few days ago, no response yet…

Know of a better way to get in touch with em? Are KT77s super different sounding compared to 6550s? I would think yes

Emailed customer support via the website form a few days ago, no response yet…

Know of a better way to get in touch with em? Are KT77s super different sounding compared to 6550s? I would think yes
Yes, they sound different - but I love 'em. Worth going back to the 6550s for?? Maybe for a change - but it's not something I'm chomping the bit for. I loved the SED =C= 6550, and ONLY those 6550 with the VH4. Not sure what the going rate is on those lately but I know I sold a quad a couple years back for a cool $1000 and the buyer was happy as a pig in shit. If I need to blow $1000+ on glass just to get that kinda difference?? No dice - I'll stick with KT77s, and as previously mentioned, I may even revisit the 6L6 fan-club, it's been 12 years since I used 'em. Maybe my ears wanna try something fresh :dunno: but right now I'm still totally in love with how my VH4 sounds. And my Hagen. And my other VH4. And my D-Moll.

Yes, they sound different - but I love 'em. Worth going back to the 6550s for?? Maybe for a change - but it's not something I'm chomping the bit for. I loved the SED =C= 6550, and ONLY those 6550 with the VH4. Not sure what the going rate is on those lately but I know I sold a quad a couple years back for a cool $1000 and the buyer was happy as a pig in shit. If I need to blow $1000+ on glass just to get that kinda difference?? No dice - I'll stick with KT77s, and as previously mentioned, I may even revisit the 6L6 fan-club, it's been 12 years since I used 'em. Maybe my ears wanna try something fresh :dunno: but right now I'm still totally in love with how my VH4 sounds. And my Hagen. And my other VH4. And my D-Moll.
Thank you for all this info, I ended up going with a Herbert with KT77s!

Question: Which tubes do you guys believe delivers the most crisp crunch and sizzle in the top end for palm mutes in the VH4? ...6L6?

Question: Which tubes do you guys believe delivers the most crisp crunch and sizzle in the top end for palm mutes in the VH4? ...6L6?
You bought a Herbert?? You can mix 3 pairs of tubes in that amp FYI.

As for the VH4, top end sizzle will be KT77 as it marries the mids of the EL34 with the high-end of the 6L6, no joke.

Running EL34s...Sound like I should give those KT77s a shot. I have to run the treble and presence pretty high to get that crisp top end that I like.

You bought a Herbert?? You can mix 3 pairs of tubes in that amp FYI.

As for the VH4, top end sizzle will be KT77 as it marries the mids of the EL34 with the high-end of the 6L6, no joke.
I haven't got a Herbet yet. I'm looking for a Mark III. I may end up trading my Hagen for one. I'm not certain yet.

I have to run the treble and presence pretty high to get that crisp top end that I like.
That’s just how the amp is at low volumes. Changing the tube type won’t dramatically make the amp brighter. As the volume goes up and the speakers push more air the high frequencies will come into the picture. This is why the VH4 pairs really well with V30s.

That’s just how the amp is at low volumes. Changing the tube type won’t dramatically make the amp brighter. As the volume goes up and the speakers push more air the high frequencies will come into the picture. This is why the VH4 pairs really well with V30s.
Thank you appreciated. Yes, most of the time I'm hovering around living room volumes. I have to push certain frequencies a little harder, but the VH4 still sounds amazing.

Back