The ultimate bedroom practice head for metal?

Deanmachine":29fs24y5 said:
Diezel Herbert

Probably a joke, but I thought the Herbert sounded killer at bedroom volume. I also thought the 90 w Mark V sounded better at low volumes than the 25.

You're not going to be able to crank even those low wattage heads and keep them at bedroom volume.

I have both the Ironball and Mark V:25.

For bedroom volumes, the Ironball is easier to set up and sounds still great at lower volumes. Also, the power soak does really work. You'll loose some deep-low end in the 5W and 1W settings though, but in the 1W setting, you can crank the Master a bit, which gives it some added 'feel'.

Mark V:25 is way more fussy and a hair difference on the volume knob can make it go from whisper quiet to 'ouch, I hope my neighbors are in a forgiving mood now'.
Nevertheless, as far as great cleans and that Crunch mode go, the Mark has the Engl beat. For a more easy to set-up high gain tight metal tone, the Engl has that over the Mark.

Can't go wrong with the Ironball. I use mine at home and gigs when I don't feel like lugging the Invader 2 around. Even the reverb is good on it. I've never heard an el84 amp thump like this lil sucker does.

The suggestion to use an EQ in the loop is a good one. I play all my amps in my apartment but I just put a clean boost in the loop and sort of 'attenuate' it there. Then that touchy MV isn't really an issue. Added bonus is that my 'Master Volume' is at my feet.

I use my 6505+, Ultra 60 and VTM 60 at low volumes all the time, usually thru a 4x12 Marshall TV cab.

Like the Metaltronix that preceded it my Crate Stealth needs to be loud to sound good, so I put a Boss GE7 in the loop and adjust from there.

xzacx":1b1fzw91 said:
Deanmachine":1b1fzw91 said:
Diezel Herbert

Probably a joke, but I thought the Herbert sounded killer at bedroom volume. I also thought the 90 w Mark V sounded better at low volumes than the 25.

You're not going to be able to crank even those low wattage heads and keep them at bedroom volume.

herbert was one of the best sounding bredroom amps ive owned lol sounds great at low volume

I have a wall of 50-100w amps and cabs. I use a Marshall Code 100 2x12 (modeller) for practice, it sounds good at low volumes and you can control it with a smartphone or tablet. The BOSS Katana is also great. Both are pretty cheap. The CODE is also a killer Bluetooth speaker ;)

I had such a hard time with this topic. I love my 100 watt amps, but playing st super low volumes all the time was kinda a waste IMO. So I got a JCA20 and modded it into a ripping Jose type amp. It sounds amazing at all volumes.

psychodave":25aeur6m said:
I had such a hard time with this topic. I love my 100 watt amps, but playing st super low volumes all the time was kinda a waste IMO. So I got a JCA20 and modded it into a ripping Jose type amp. It sounds amazing at all volumes.

SCWHEEET! :rock:

I had a JCA22H for awhile, modded it (Resonance knob helps big!), but the Chinese tube 'kerrang' kept bothering me and I wasn't looking forward to spend $$$ on new tubes on a so-so amp, when there's an Ironball and MarkV:25 competing for space.

Suhr Reactive Load (or another Reactive Load box) and a Cab IR (Two Notes C.A.B. or PC/Laptop for example) and then any amp you want.

stratjacket":1g9951jm said:
Suhr Reactive Load (or another Reactive Load box) and a Cab IR (Two Notes C.A.B. or PC/Laptop for example) and then any amp you want.
Or a Torpedo Live and you can skip the PC/Laptop altogether. \:D/

Speeddemon":xi5re4sp said:
stratjacket":xi5re4sp said:
Or a Torpedo Live and you can skip the PC/Laptop altogether. \:D/

Yep, that would fall in the "or another..." example. Basically any reactive load/speaker sim into studio monitors, FRFR speakers, etc...

Speeddemon":31fgfemo said:
psychodave":31fgfemo said:

Back