The ultimate bedroom practice head for metal?

psychodave":1ufgwdq8 said:
paulyc":1ufgwdq8 said:
Dave, would you mind just hitting the highlights on the mods ? What do the 2 toggle switches do ? Whose transformer did you use ? What model ? Any other specs you can share ?

Its basically a Cameron Jose.
V1a and b are 1.0uf/2.7, v1a and b 0.022uf bypass caps, 220k v1a plate resistor, 560/560/39k tone stack, .1uf pi coupling caps, 1meg depth pot with .0033uf cap. .0022/.0047 brite caps on the gain pot. eliminated R13 and R53. 3 way switch with 5volt and mpsa06 transistors (center off) saturation switch. From there I just tinkered.

Classic Tone output transformer # 40-17688
Which tap on the OT do you connect the depth pot to ?

For low volume I have found that a tube preamp, and solid state power amp seems to work best. I did this with an ENGL E530 for a while. There is a killer Peters preamp in the classifieds right now that I would be buying if the Canadian dollar didn't suck right now. Pair that up with a small PA power amp, I used a Carvin 1U little thing, and then just a 1x12 cab.

I currently have a PRS Archon 25 combo, and it is good at low volumes too

psychodave":1a9jdgvj said:
paulyc":1a9jdgvj said:
Dave, would you mind just hitting the highlights on the mods ? What do the 2 toggle switches do ? Whose transformer did you use ? What model ? Any other specs you can share ?

Its basically a Cameron Jose.
V1a and b are 1.0uf/2.7, v1a and b 0.022uf bypass caps, 220k v1a plate resistor, 560/560/39k tone stack, .1uf pi coupling caps, 1meg depth pot with .0033uf cap. .0022/.0047 brite caps on the gain pot. eliminated R13 and R53. 3 way switch with 5volt and mpsa06 transistors (center off) saturation switch. From there I just tinkered.

Classic Tone output transformer # 40-17688

That little bastard sounds great. Did you have to increase the grid stoppers on the el84's? I usually find I have to increase those to take out some of the ear pain on el84's

FWIW, if anyone's interested, I am currently happy with my EVH LBX. I also had the Marshall DSL1HR, and it was cool for what it was, but not really better-sounding than the old Randall RD1H I was using before. At least not when comparing high-gain distorted channels. I also owned the LBX 2, but I much prefer the LBX 1. The LBX 1 sounds much better at low volumes than the 2. The 2 is really fizzy until you turn it up. The 1 also has the red channel, which is IMO the 5150 sound.

You're thinking all wrong. it's not about 1 or 5 watts, Its about as many watts as you can muster! And you gotta do the EVH thing and crank every knob on a FULL STACK! Yes, you need 2 4x12's- That will be perfect for bedroom playing!

Start off with a Marshall 1959 Superlead and make sure to jump the channels

Or maybe you want EVEN LOUDER- Check out the Splawn Quickrod and like a nuclear bomb, BLAST YOUR BEDROOM AMP at 3 in the morning. Be considerate to your neighbors and give them a healthy dose of METAL.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Or maybe you just need watts: Marshall Major / Blackstar Series 1 200, Fender 400 with a BOSS Metal Zone in front of it.

Kid, you're going to be the most talked about guitarist on your street. Your neighbors will love you. The police will LOVE you! and you 100%, will have the most ULTIMATE METAL RIG for bedroom playing!!!!!!!!

:D

motorhead_lemmy_marshall_amp_arena_rock_615_1000x.jpg

My suggestion is Two Notes Captor with -20dB attenuator. It makes almost every amp’s master volume usable for home use.
But Mark25 is really impressive for low volume playing, instant Petrucci on lead channel and killer crunch channel.

Diezel123":14m8yyqx said:
SpiderWars":14m8yyqx said:
The Mark V 25 and 35 might be options.

Had the Mark V 25. Volume taper is bad for volume use. Very small range before LOUD

Didn't know that. I used a clean boost in the fx loop turned down to cope with that on other Mark series amps.

I love my Orange Brent Hinds Terror.

$299 STOTD!

Has a Bedroom/Headroom switch and low/high power switch.

3 stages of gain, but gets real fat after 1:00.

It's cathode bias, so it gives up the power tube chug in all modes.

1w crushes!

High/Low changes the voltage of EVERYTHING, so 7 watt is kind of a brown sound mode.

Really opened up with NOS Mullard F series long plates, a Sylvania black plate 12AT7, and NOS Russian 6n14n's.

The goddamn thing is BRUTAL!

Back