The ultimate bedroom practice head for metal?

psychodave":mx4pejyy said:
Speeddemon":mx4pejyy said:
psychodave":mx4pejyy said:
I had such a hard time with this topic. I love my 100 watt amps, but playing st super low volumes all the time was kinda a waste IMO. So I got a JCA20 and modded it into a ripping Jose type amp. It sounds amazing at all volumes.

psychodave":5atlufws said:
I had such a hard time with this topic. I love my 100 watt amps, but playing st super low volumes all the time was kinda a waste IMO. So I got a JCA20 and modded it into a ripping Jose type amp. It sounds amazing at all volumes.

Dave, dis you install another volume after your loop in the jetcity?

nico22":20811mlm said:
psychodave":20811mlm said:

Dave, dis you install another volume after your loop in the jetcity?

No. Just installed it normally.

psychodave":14tn167n said:
nico22":14tn167n said:
Normally is between tone stack and master volume right?

Yeah.

Thanks sounds really good :rock:
You little head was first a friedman be iirc? So you took the signal for the loop from the treble wiper or from the 220k that is just after the treble wiper?
Did the loop change the sound or maybe feel of the amp?
Is there a reverd added with the delay in your clip?

I got my Ironball in a lucky trade. Best transaction of my life. It excels at every level from the bedroom to full blown band. :rock:

That said I am really loving my new Mesa Triple Crown 50 :)

Still..........the Ironball is one of those amps I hope I never sell. It's that good :)

psychodave":1mwrnh6u said:

That sounds killer :)

napalmdeath":2v2oqt5x said:
Buy an MXR 10-band, and keep what you have!

In all seriousness, I found the Peavey Triple XXX excellent for low volumes, and even the EVH 50 watt. It's excellent at bedroom levels. I found that to be one of it's best features. By far, a better choice than the LBX, believe it or not.

I agree with this too........especially the 50 watt EVH over the LBX.

I was going to suggest a reactive load device of some kind as well into an IR loader on your computer, or even into one of those IR loading pedals.

A Victory Kraken could be a good option for you. It's a 50 watt head, but can go down to 15, 9 or even 2 watts.

shred-o-holic":3nbmxebf said:
I got my Ironball in a lucky trade. Best transaction of my life. It excels at every level from the bedroom to full blown band. :rock:

That said I am really loving my new Mesa Triple Crown 50 :)

Still..........the Ironball is one of those amps I hope I never sell. It's that good :)
How would you compare your Randall Thrasher to the Ironball?

Ironball is tight enough, but still juicy. More akin Powerball II than Powerball I. I get the impression from some reports that the Thrasher may be too tight and lacking lows.

psychodave":3ho9olv5 said:

I modded a Custom 22 and it didn't sound as good as this did..can you tell where or how to get the Jose mod for the JCA20 ?
The Custom 22's board was tricky doing mods to without pulling out tracers and the pads,I barely put heat on a couple of them and the traces pulled up,had to do some serious repairs but I fixed it,and then sold the 22..and it really sounded good with preamp tube swapping.

Right now I use my 50 watt EVH 3 head and it really does sound good at the lowest volumes,and the XXX head I had did too.
I had the first EVH LBX and I liked it a lot,on the red channel gain about 1-2 and whatever volume you needed and it sounded good,but to me the 50 sounds better.

riffermadness":2bqeu8pw said:
psychodave":2bqeu8pw said:

I modded a Custom 22 and it didn't sound as good as this did..can you tell where or how to get the Jose mod for the JCA20 ?
The Custom 22's board was tricky doing mods to without pulling out tracers and the pads,I barely put heat on a couple of them and the traces pulled up,had to do some serious repairs but I fixed it,and then sold the 22..and it really sounded good with preamp tube swapping.

I did the mod myself with a friend feeding me ideas. It really wasn’t simple. I have mods in both the preamp and power amp section of the amp. Lots of little tweaks to get that tight yet massive bottom end out of el84’s and zero fizz. I am using 5 volt zeners in this clip.

paulyc":d6tc4u2n said:
And the friend is MC, don’t leave that out...

Indeed. He never modded one so he gave me ideas and I had to test out lots of things.

If you look closely, I even changed out the output transformer. It made is sound smoother/better. I’m also running NOS Russian 6P14P EL84’s (I like the non-military version the most). I bought a shit load of them from someone in Europe.

Back