VHI: Who Does it Best? Metro or Bray?

Which would you choose for a Van Halen I/II Style Marshall?

• Metropoulos 12,000 Series 100W

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • David Bray 4550 50W Deluxe

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Suhr SL68 50W

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Germino

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Other (Explained in Comments)

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
Philo Beddoe":1a37pw1c said:
A thread about how to get VH1 tones and not even one of the Seven current EVH amps approved by EVH himself and made under his name made the list :confused:

Ed isn't stupid..he knows his early tones, particularly VH1, are his most well known and liked. It seems like at some point he would have went after the "Magic Marshall" tones with a vengeance..I don't get it?

The blue channel can get kind of close to the old Brown Sound, and I've never heard a bad word about that blue channel. But Ed hasn't had that old Brown Sound since 1984. He's obviously moved on.

Edward has said that “he’s always evolving,” as a player and with regard to his sounds and that makes moving on inevitably part of the tone process as well.
I always liked the sound of the 1984 album and that represents an evolution from the early VH1 days.
Great video as well...he rocked like no other. Excellent live sounds!!

Anyway, I like the Bray myself.
I appreciate the thread, the tones Edward recorded are among the most amazing and important as far as I’m concerned. He paved the way for many others. A true inspiration.

lespaul6":2ehwgnov said:
check out this vid from 1984... he is clearly stepping on something to go from the cleanish double stop section to the verse @ 1:32

How about another amp?

The studio version of that song was cut with Ed's '58 V, and he used the neck pickup with the volume rolled down for the clean sections (using the pickup selector switch as a channel selector).

He didn't always feel comfortable doing the volume roll-down thing quick enough live, so he had 2 spots on stage where he could reduce the input signal to the amp with a footswitch.

A very simple, low-tech solution owing to the fact that he liked to the play the one-pickup Kramer 5150 for the entire set on the 1984 tour (having it checked for tuning during the other solos - and save for opening the set with "Unchained" using the backup tuned to drop D). He had one backup and the little guitars mini-les paul on that tour. Nothing like the tour for '86, where he had multiple backups and different guitars.

LP Freak":16gc8w9q said:
lespaul6":16gc8w9q said:
check out this vid from 1984... he is clearly stepping on something to go from the cleanish double stop section to the verse @ 1:32

How about another amp?

lespaul6":3q9k7pjo said:

A footswitch? :dunno:

around 1:28 in that vid you see him roll the volume up to get back to the dirt. Interestingly I never see him roll the volume back in the first place :confused:

BYTOR":908jfm3y said:
glpg80":908jfm3y said:
BYTOR":908jfm3y said:
I had a Bray 4550 Deluxe & tried a Germino for 2 weeks. The AFX2 gets me closer than those.

It does help to have Rocco's hands though :thumbsup:

Not touching this with a 10FT pole :LOL: :LOL:

It can be a bit of a sore subject :LOL: :LOL:
You don't even need an AxeFx II to crush the VH toan. The original/Ultra could do it.

:LOL: :LOL:

lespaul6":k87b3g4q said:

During HFT live in 1984 to quote Ed in Guitar World 1985 "I used a Roland Echo box with a volume knob and hooked it to my pedalboard so I could hit the pedal and drop the volume because I couldn`t reach the volume knob quick enough"

Marshall does (and did) it best... not surprisingly.

Also: EMT140, Sunset Sound Studios, etc...

Point being, need the studio magic to get the album tone. Period.

Back