Best picks

• Thread starter Thread starter Smash
  • Start date Start date
I use gravity razor big mini 1.5mm and 2mm.

Haven’t heard of the gold series - looks like they’re made out of delrin.

Check out 5:16 LMAO. I don't know if he is doing something to make them sound that different, or if it is truly the different response you get from those thick picks, but this should be interesting.

I switched to Winspear a few years ago and never looked back, expensive but last forever. One man shop and he makes them in batches. Good to deal with and ships them in a little Middle Ages envelope with melted wax to seal, kind of a cool little touch.
https://www.winspearinstrumental.com/collections/plectrums

These two are my favorites.

18553975_10155551391224384_535617466_o_1024x1024.jpg
Winspear_2_Broadsword_1024x1024.jpg
Would love to try out the Fountainhead but they've been sold out for awhile. Any idea how often he stocks up?

Great pick.

Attachments

• 475p2-big-stubby-players-pack-2mm-6-set-hd-139732.jpg
    475p2-big-stubby-players-pack-2mm-6-set-hd-139732.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 53
Winspear definitely last forever and are good.

Couldnt imagine using a Hufschmidt, insanely large. Have never tried them though, maybe they're great but no desire.

Lately ChickenPicks.

I haven't tried them either but I see people getting great results from them.
Lol well I never will try them tbh.

There is now way I would spend $50 to "try" a guitar pick and since they're so large that I laugh when I see a picture of one I have no desire to whatsoever.

Maybe im missing out, I just cant see a pick that large being useable.

Lol well I never will try them tbh.

There is now way I would spend $50 to "try" a guitar pick and since they're so large that I laugh when I see a picture of one I have no desire to whatsoever.

Maybe im missing out, I just cant see a pick that large being useable.

I know what you mean. I think I've been in the order process a couple times and backed out because there were too many unknowns for me. Maybe one day.

I did get one of the less expensive very large picks (from a different company) a while back just to see what it was like. The size and shape encouraged me to pick with my index and thumb rather than my wrist, though, so I don't have much use for it.

Have used the red jazz 3s for the better part of the last 10-12 years, but recently forgot how much I love the regular old green .88’s. They just sound great, have a totally different attack etc. while I play different with all these picks, sometimes for me it’s how the pick shapes the transients in a track, and different picks yield completely different responses/sounds. So I guess it just depends on what I’m going for. The .88’s are hard to beat for that compressed squishy bottom end, while the jazz 3 is like a razor blade. But sometimes, there Is dare I say, too much attack with the jazz III’s.

Dunlop Petrucci Trinity for me.

Last edited:
This thread got me. Just ordered a few more winspear that I havent tried and another backup Amber broadsword.

This thread got me. Just ordered a few more winspear that I havent tried and another backup Amber broadsword.
Let us know how you like them....I'm waiting for the Fountainheads to be back in stock.

I like the yellow Traynor .81 mm... but i think it mostly comes down to shape. The standard pick with the way I play with my pick slanted means I can't always get a good hold of the strings when I alternate pick on solos and going to the sharper V shape works better for fast runs. Used to use the thicker purple dunlop Jazz picks but I wore down the tips as well.

The Dunlop Black Fang .94mm has become my new go to. I love that pick. I also like the Dunlop White Fang 1.14mm. It's a super fast and accurate pick, but I just like the sound of the Black Fang better for most things. The Dunlop Jazz III XL .88mm is also good.

Is it me or are the dunlop standards hard to hold on to at times depending on the conditions? That's something I also take into consideration, it's gotta be good enough to stay between the fingers!

Back