Best picks

• Thread starter Thread starter Smash
  • Start date Start date
My choice for ~14 years now. I feel like I can’t play without them lol
I could order one, but how long til they dull? I play witha heavy right. Thats why the huffschmid brass is good. Dunno if it can dull. But i have dulled the best

My choice for ~14 years now. I feel like I can’t play without them lol
Those V Picks? I remember reading about them while in high school, aomething like their material is grippy and they are durable, but that was marketing I guess.

I for myself choose to hang on to standart pics not to feel lost when I don’t have my own picks with me and have to play what’s available lol

I could order one, but how long til they dull? I play witha heavy right. Thats why the huffschmid brass is good. Dunno if it can dull. But i have dulled the best
I’m admittedly not the best guy to answer this since I’m really just a classical guitarist that doesn’t play electric on a daily basis anymore. They seemed to last long for me and I also play aggressively, but eventually they do dull to at least some extent (the thinner models even more so, but I don’t like them as much), but they’re only $4, so I just got lots of them lol. They definitely last way longer than any of the various dunlops I’ve had at least. For me it’s really just playability of why I use them. Some other picks I’ve got do sound better in some ways, but also way more expensive. I’ve got some Huffschmid picks (not brass though) and they’re good too. The V Pick Screamer 2.75mm still just plays best for me, but maybe not for everyone

Those V Picks? I remember reading about them while in high school, aomething like their material is grippy and they are durable, but that was marketing I guess.

I for myself choose to hang on to standart pics not to feel lost when I don’t have my own picks with me and have to play what’s available lol
They do seem to be more grippy and durable IME, but I also agree it’s gotten to the point where I really feel like I can’t play with any other pick now LOL. I always keep now 1 or 2 of them in my wallet just in case

I also fwiw have picks of all sorts of materials from steel, copper, brass, most of the various woods (including super hard ones like snakewood, lignum vitae), agate, stones, etc. They can all sound interesting in their own ways, although the stone ones to me sound too dead/bland/homogenous

They do seem to be more grippy and durable IME, but I also agree it’s gotten to the point where I really feel like I can’t play with any other pick now LOL. I always keep now 1 or 2 of them in my wallet just in case

Would be lame if they were not more durable for 10x the price of a Tortex pick lol

Would be lame if they were not more durable for 10x the price of a Tortex pick lol
I’d say they are about that much more durable (if not more) than Tortex’s for sure (those wore out super fast with my usage), but that doesn’t mean you still won’t notice some wear or dulling after enough time (you will). I’ve got some other various expensive picks that might be more durable (haven’t used them enough to know), but the V Pick model I use just is right for me and I also love the ease of pinch harmonics with them from the points

So today I spent 63 euros on two brass picks from Hufschmid. I feel like I jumped the shark! lol

Normally use the Jazz III XL and these are about the same size.

So today I spent 63 euros on two brass picks from Hufschmid. I feel like I jumped the shark! lol

Normally use the Jazz III XL and these are about the same size.
Let us know to, as my experience with metal pics was a bit too clangy in the sound. Not in a good way.

I’d say they are about that much more durable (if not more) than Tortex’s for sure (those wore out super fast with my usage), but that doesn’t mean you still won’t notice some wear or dulling after enough time (you will). I’ve got some other various expensive picks that might be more durable (haven’t used them enough to know), but the V Pick model I use just is right for me and I also love the ease of pinch harmonics with them from the points
Thing with Tortex is they easy and cheap enough to replace frequenty. And yes, I shred them to nothingness fast.

Last edited:
I've been stuck on the Dunlop Flow .73s for a couple years now. I do wish they weren't dark blue though, impossible to find them little shits when you drop them.

Dunlop Flow 0.88 here. Green, easy to find when dropped.

Let us know to, as my experience with metal pics was a bit too clangy in the sound. Not in a good way.
I have this pick and he played it last weekend hence him ordering. I agree that metal can be clangy. I think he had tried metal before also. Something about these brass gives you a tight attack without that dull plastic sound rather than noticing it is a bright clangy sound.

I have this pick and he played it last weekend hence him ordering. I agree that metal can be clangy. I think he had tried metal before also. Something about these brass gives you a tight attack without that dull plastic sound rather than noticing it is a bright clangy sound.

Yeah. I like the crisp, tight attack. Plus they have the Hufschmid logo that goes with my guitar. Lol

Do you consider all non-metal picks dull? Even likes of Dunlop Ultex or D’addario Vortex?

These metal picks are not widely used even by metal players for some reason. Clangy might not be for everyone I guess. Too steep of a price to risk trying. And knowing what a mess Patrick is, I don’t see myself paying him money.

But if I stumble on one, I’ll try. If I like them, I’ll manufacture ‘em lol

Back