Best picks

• Thread starter Thread starter Smash
  • Start date Start date
Ha fender medium old school
Do you find you go through those quickly? When i was using those for Electric or Acoustic i would go through a couple in 1 rehearsal. They would get caught on the wound strings & i would have to toss them out.

Got my Vpick. Feels Amazing. I can't wait to try it. Very sharp. You get yours @mhenson42 ? @braintheory you get your huffschmid yet?
Hufschmid still on the way, but the Attak’s came and decided to order the rest of their line up as well as the other V-picks to try them all

The V-Pick Screamer to me still sounds better overall and has stronger harmonics, although the Attak does sound tighter and more precise like you said, but a lot thinner, but I may end up using the Attak’s more often for playability (at least for faster stuff). They do slip a little bit in my hands vs the V-Pick, but I can actually play faster with the Attak with less effort. Didn’t seem like it at first, but tested it with my metronome and playing along with others on YouTube and yeah definitely faster than what I could do with my V-Picks

I thought maybe I just wasn’t able to play as fast as some others, but with these that’s not really an issue for me, just gotta adapt to them more and still refine other details in the playing. I think the V and other picks were just holding me back a bit in speed. I could still play at the desired tempos if I wanted to, but it sounded more labored (more tension) and not consistently even in note spacing. I’m being though nitpicky (no pun intended) since even guys like Becker or Abasi aren’t even on their fast licks, just harder to tell at their speeds

the attck picks are hard about slipping. There origi
nally was a small and a large, and i felt like if they had an inbetween size it would fit me better. but this gorilla snot is the way, brother.

the attck picks are hard about slipping. There origi
nally was a small and a large, and i felt like if they had an inbetween size it would fit me better. but this gorilla snot is the way, brother.
but the concave in the middle still gets on my nerves. I think you will still prefer the huffschmid brass. it is substantial, but not too much so

Got my Vpick. Feels Amazing. I can't wait to try it. Very sharp. You get yours @mhenson42 ? @braintheory you get your huffschmid yet?
V Pick Screamer is the real deal. I can't even begin to use my old Jazz IIIs...the V pick, picks so cleanly that my old picks just barely do the job. Lol

Just ordered from Sweetwater.. Good thing I get free shipping.. Nearly $1 a pick is batshit..

Do you guys ever sharpen picks? When my Cool picks wear a bit, I just drag them in the carpet to resharpen and I’m good to go. My picks tend to last a while doing this.

Do you guys ever sharpen picks? When my Cool picks wear a bit, I just drag them in the carpet to resharpen and I’m good to go. My picks tend to last a while doing this.
Admittedly, I have thought of it. I have several files/sharpening stones, various sandpapers. Especially for my expensive picks. I have resharpened the tortex a few times. Didn't even try to get it perfect, just pointy again. It worked. But trying to get the edge back on the huffschmid seems like it may be more of a bitch than i am willing to experience.

V Pick Screamer is the real deal. I can't even begin to use my old Jazz IIIs...the V pick, picks so cleanly that my old picks just barely do the job. Lol
Hufschmid still on the way, but the Attak’s came and decided to order the rest of their line up as well as the other V-picks to try them all

The V-Pick Screamer to me still sounds better overall and has stronger harmonics, although the Attak does sound tighter and more precise like you said, but a lot thinner, but I may end up using the Attak’s more often for playability (at least for faster stuff). They do slip a little bit in my hands vs the V-Pick, but I can actually play faster with the Attak with less effort. Didn’t seem like it at first, but tested it with my metronome and playing along with others on YouTube and yeah definitely faster than what I could do with my V-Picks

I thought maybe I just wasn’t able to play as fast as some others, but with these that’s not really an issue for me, just gotta adapt to them more and still refine other details in the playing. I think the V and other picks were just holding me back a bit in speed. I could still play at the desired tempos if I wanted to, but it sounded more labored (more tension) and not consistently even in note spacing. I’m being though nitpicky (no pun intended) since even guys like Becker or Abasi aren’t even on their fast licks, just harder to tell at their speeds
V pick is a very good goddamned pick. I can see why you guys like them. My only bitch, and it is a me thing is that i want to hold the thing to where too much of the pick is beyond my fingers which is leverage-wise the complete opposite of what i need to do to trem pick. But for playing rock, i don't konw if the thing could be beat.

My favorite Dunlop:

Attachments

• 518F6443-3C82-43B3-96F6-CD85552917F5.jpeg
    518F6443-3C82-43B3-96F6-CD85552917F5.jpeg
    83.1 KB · Views: 41
I really like all the basic jazz3 versions(red/black/cf) with the max-grip. They all have slightly different tones. CF is my overall favorite.

I really like all the basic jazz3 versions(red/black/cf) with the max-grip. They all have slightly different tones. CF is my overall favorite.
I got first jazz3 max-grip from my son guitar teacher as a gift. The guy is playing lot of shows in the cover band, and He find this pick bullet proof in every situation.

Still using the red EJ Jazz IIIs for feel and occasionally the Fender Celluloid 551 Heavy for tone. I really need the pick to be shaped like those two because I use all three 'corners' on acoustic. I need to try the Max-Grip but that doesn't look like it would work on acoustic for me.

Last edited:
Dunlop Big Stubby 3mms are my all-time favorite but after a friend gave me a Dunlop Flow a while back I got to thinking I'd like to try the Hetfield White Fangs and got three packs of those for Christmas and just about burned through all of those as I really dig them.

The V-Pick Screamers are great, still have one of those I bought when they came out - it's one of the pink Chick Pick ones lmao - lost the damn clear one after hanging onto it for some time but I love the sound and feel of those. Gravity Picks (dude used to work for Vinnie and started his take on them) Stealth picks are great, I've got a few of those in 3 and 4mm and love those, too if anyone is looking for an alternative to the Screamers.

Anybody tried Howling Monkey picks? One gentleman I know told he likes them, and material is quite unusual. I’m hardly switching to non-standart pics, but still interesting, if someone here tried them.

Anybody tried Howling Monkey picks? One gentleman I know told he likes them, and material is quite unusual. I’m hardly switching to non-standart pics, but still interesting, if someone here tried them.
The fat jazz looks like a good one. I dont know if i will test though. If i test every pick, my already ridiculous collection may spill out onto my floor

Back