Mesa Strategy 400 Depth Mod

• Thread starter Thread starter EP9
  • Start date Start date
E
EP9
I was wondering if anyone had all the exact details on the depth trimpot mod for the Strategy 400 that psychodave has talked about? I recently acquired one with the intent of having the mod installed, assuming with more depth control it'd be a VHT 2150 killer. Thanks in advance.

Nothing is a 2150 "killer." The S400 depthmod is legit tho😎

I had to remove a depthmod on my coliseum...that WAS too much...wayy too much.

Last edited:
Here is the switch Mesa wires in… it’s just way too much and will sound like shit. They use a .005uf ceramic cap.

The second pic is how I do it…with a switchable 1 Meg pot. Now I can adjust the frequency along with the intensity using the pot.

I have since changed the caps on the pot. Pushed is .001uf, pulled is .003uf. I like it pushed the most. What I should do is add another pot so I can blend in the cap like Cameron does with his Q pot. Keep in mind my strategy 400 has both volume and presence pots on the front.

1681438311815.jpeg

1681438343404.jpeg

Here is the switch Mesa wires in… it’s just way too much and will sound like shit. They use a .005uf ceramic cap.

The second pic is how I do it…with a switchable 1 Meg pot. Now I can adjust the frequency along with the intensity using the pot.

I have since changed the caps on the pot. Pushed is .001uf, pulled is .003uf. I like it pushed the most. What I should do is add another pot so I can blend in the cap like Cameron does with his Q pot. Keep in mind my strategy 400 has both volume and presence pots on the front.

View attachment 192232
View attachment 192235
Thanks a lot for the info, makes things a hell of a lot easier on my tech who's installing this. I figured any preamp that doesn't have the 5 band EQ like the Mesa Studio / Quad pre's will probably need the depth pot to some extent.

Mike B did a switchable deep mod at my request on my M180 & I'm glad he did, because it's waaaay too much & I never use it. FWIW. Definitely make it switchable.

He also put a presence pot in for me. What did I learn from all this? The M180 was perfect stock & needed nothing. ...Well, except a second M180 to run stereo.

Back